iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NHLA Sales Code

Started by Curlywoods, June 25, 2005, 10:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curlywoods

I have a question about the NHLA Sales Code.  Does it say that a shipment must provide 90% or 80% of the specified grade or better?  I saw a post today that someone said that 80% needs to meet or exceed specified grade, which sounded too lax, but I am not sure now.

I always thought that more than 10% of a shipment was of a lower grade than specified, then the buyer had the right to refuse purchase and return shipping would be the responibility of the seller.  Set me straight please :-)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

beenthere

Curlywoods
Do you have the NHLA rule book?  I'm looking at an older NHLA book.
Are you talking about a shipment that was NOT sold under Official National Inspection?

It's not easy to put in writing without copying the book word for word, but my take is the 80% comes into play if there is a dispute.
Article X - Inspection
"If the result of an official inspection reveals that less than 80% of the total footage in the shipment is in accordance with the specifications of the order, the seller shall reimburse the buyer for the freight paid ....
"If the .....official inspection reveals that at least 80% of the shopment is in accordance with the specs of the order, then the total value of all lumber (as inspected) is calculated per the grade as inspected.
"If the inspection is not more than 4% difference in money value from the gross invoice amount, then the buyer pays the cost of the inspection.  If more than 4%, the seller is to pay all expenses of the inspection.

That is brief, and summarized, and probably needs a lawyer to interpret. But the gist of the 80% is in there.

Hope that helps, and not hinders.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kirk_Allen

Mike,
I emailed you the PDF file of the grading rules.

Curlywoods

Thats you guys!  I could not recall, and no I do not have a copy of my own on hand.  That needs to change  :D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

GHRoberts

Curlywoods ----

From the NATIONAL HARDWOOD LUMBER ASSOCIATION SALES CODE

"This Code is binding between buyer and seller only when it is specifically stated in the contract that it shall govern."

I expect that the code does not apply.

Kirk_Allen

I know Mike knows all this but them drugs must be gettin to him.  He had to have surgery last week and has been pretty doped up on pain killers.  Kinda fun to talk to :D

Mike, when you get back on earth your going to laugh at the questions you ask :D

Curlywoods

Quote from: GHRoberts on June 26, 2005, 05:40:07 PM
Curlywoods ----

From the NATIONAL HARDWOOD LUMBER ASSOCIATION SALES CODE

"This Code is binding between buyer and seller only when it is specifically stated in the contract that it shall govern."

I expect that the code does not apply.

George,

I fully understand that both parties must agree to the terms of this code at the time of sale for it to be binding.  My question was whether the shipment must meet a minimum of 80% or 90% of specified grade before buyer has any recourse according to the Sales Code. 

Kirk,

These drugs have indeed clouded my thinking a bit, but I was just looking for the unabridged definition on this question :D

All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Thank You Sponsors!