iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paying for yard trees

Started by Daren, June 12, 2007, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Thurlow, you are missing sumpsin real bad..........Don't you know that Texas is for outlaws :).  Don't you watch TV ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warren

DL,

I started off with a used LT15 diesel, 3 track sections, and the trailer package.  I added the 4th track section to cut up to 24ft.  The LT15 will cut just as nice lumber as the big mills.  Only twist is slower production.  If you decide to upgrade in the future, you can resell it for nearly what you pay for it, if it is properly maintained.

The only thing I will warn you about is once you buy a mill, you WILL become addicted to sawdust....     :D :D :D

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Dan_Shade

the LT15 is available with a 25HP engine these days, that would really help out.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dodgy Loner

I appreciate the comments, guys.  But Warren, I'm afraid it's already too late for me, I've got about 3000 bd.ft. of black cherry, red maple, river birch, white ash, red oak, hard elm, red cedar, hackberry, apple, and yellow pine stacked in various locations in and around our barn - in other words, I've been addicted for a while now ;D.  About half of that was cut on WDH's LT15, so I know it cuts nice lumber.  The hard work and slow production don't bother me, but what does worry me is that the LT15 will only handle 28" logs and it can be a bit underpowered on big, tough woods like hickory and elm.  If I decide to go with the LT15, I'll probably look into the 25 HP engine, like Dan suggests.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

BrandonTN

Perhaps we can all agree that God's country is the greater region of the South/Southeast United States....including parts of east TX.  ;)

*Hears Dixie playing solemnly on a geetar*
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

farmerdoug

You guys are all off. ::)

God's country is the Great Lake State, Michigan.  Why do you think the Forum was invented here? ;) :) :)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

oakiemac

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

I will let you know after the Pig Roast if you are correct.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

We was so busy enjoying God's country we didn't have time to sit down and thunk it up. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Max sawdust

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on July 13, 2007, 01:09:17 PM
The hard work and slow production don't bother me, but what does worry me is that the LT15 will only handle 28" logs and it can be a bit underpowered on big, tough woods like hickory and elm.  If I decide to go with the LT15, I'll probably look into the 25 HP engine, like Dan suggests.

DL,
My LT15 has a 15HP gas engine.  Just got done quarter sawing a real nice 32" Red Oak.  Very minor trimming with the chain saw required.
With a major lumber mill in my town. (Talking big time here), and several production minded LT40HD owners I have no interest in high production.  I would much rather have HIGH END logs and go SLOW and maximize my production.  Sure hydraulics would be handy but I am 40 and strong, maybe I will need them at 60 ;D
The LT15 is very easy to cost justify too. (No big $ debt either ;D)
IMO many people go tooooo big.  Then again I am into hardwoods, not churning out MBF of dimensional construction lumber ;)
max

OH as far as gods country goes it is Wisconsin and the UP (which is more of wisconsin than michigan.) Dems all trolls dat live under da bridge in lower MI :D :D ;)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Phorester

Farmerdoug, as good as this site is now, it's hard to imagine how good it would be if it had been develped in the South!!!

God does wonderous things in the rest of the world, but to rest and stimulate his creativity, he takes his vacations down he-ah.   ;D

Don K

Hear! Hear! I say there, Man.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dodgy Loner

Thanks for your comments, Max.  I've pretty much made up my mind now that I'm going to go with the LT15, unless I find a really good deal on a bigger mill.  I think it will probably cover 95% of my needs, and if I need a really big log sawn up, there's always a guy down the road with an LT40 super hydraulic.

The discussion about "God's country" reminds me of a joke that always becomes popular around football season:

A hotshot high school football player was being recruited by all the major powers in college football.  During a visit to Ohio State, he sat down with Jim Tressel to discuss his future, and he noticed a golden telephone on Tressel's desk.  "Coach," he said, "What's that golden phone on your desk for?"  "That," said Tressel, "is a direct line to heaven.  We only use it when the game's on the line, because it costs $5,000 a minute to connect."  The recruit left the meeting thoroughly impressed, and the next week he travelled to Southern Cal to check out their facilities.  During this trip, he met with Pete Carroll and happened to notice a similar golden phone on his desk.  "Coach, what's with that golden phone on your desk?" he asked.  "Why that's a direct line to heaven.  It helped us win our last two national championships, but we can only use it when it comes down to the wire, because it costs $10,000 a minute to connect."  Again, the recruit was thoroughly impressed.  Finally, he travelled to UGA and met with Mark Richt in his office.  Again, he noticed the golden phone on the coach's desk, and this time he said, "I take it you've got a direct line to heaven, too?"  "That's right," said Richt, "and it costs 10 cents a minute to connect."  "Ten cents!" cried the recruit in disbelief.  "How could it possibly be that cheap?"  "Well, you see," replied Richt, "around here it's a local call."
;D ;D ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

OK, y'all beat that one :D.

thurlow

Reminds me of how Georgia came to have one of their All-Americans in the not-too-distant past............seems the head football coach was on a recruiting trip (by automobile) thru North Georgia.  He wound up in a very rural area, but had finally seen everyone on his list.  He headed back to the interstate, but realized he was lost.  He was on a narrow black-top road and eventually came to an old country store.  The front porch was about 6 feet off the ground and the walls were covered with advertising signs from the past.  However, there was a Georgia Bulldog banner over the gas pump, so he felt comfortable going in.  He spoke to the old man behind the counter, got a Nehi orange soda from the chest-type drink box and casually leaned against the counter, making small talk with the old man.  He said, "I'm the football coach down at UGA and I seem to have gotten myself lost."  The old man said, "I recognize you;  I'm glad to meet 'cha.  A'fore you get back on the road, there's a kid that lives up in the hills that you've got to meet.  The family comes down for supplies 3 or 4 times a year and this kid is the DanGest specimen I've ever seen.  I've seen him stand on this porch and chunk a rock half-way acrost this valley."  So, anyway, he closes the store and gets into the car with the coach; he points him to a narrow gravel road and they head even further into the hills.  The gravel ends and they go a couple of miles further on the dirt road.  That road ends and a path leads into the woods.  The storekeeper says that they will have to walk another mile or so.  Coach opens the trunk and gets out a souvenir GA football and they head into the woods.  Finally come to an old rickety cabin,  old mountaineer whittling on the porch.  Storekeeper says, "Where's Bubba"? "He's gone huntin, reckon he'll be back directly".  In a few minutes here comes a young giant from around the cabin; barefoot and wearing faded overalls.  He had a wild-cat slung around his neck and is carrying 3 rabbits in each hand.  Coach says, "I'm Coach D*****;  I'm the head football coach at UGA,  which is considered one of the finest institutions of learning in Athens, GA.  Think you might want to come down and play football for us? Get a free college education!"  Kid says, "Whataya think, Pa?"  "Won't hurt to listen to the man."  Coach "D" said, "There are three things which will qualify you to play football for us.  First, are you fast?"  Bubba says, "I'm fast........didn't I just chase these 6 rabbits down on foot?"  "Are you tough?"  "I'm plenty tough........this here wild-cat tried to take one of my rabbits;  I killed him with my bare hands."  Coach "D" flipped the football to Bubba..........."Can you pass this ball?"  Bubba deftly caught the ball with one hand,  started squeezing it so the coach thought it was going to bust;  held it to his nose and sniffed it;  brought it to his mouth; gently licked it and opened his mouth to see if it would go in.  Said, "If I can swaller it, I'm pretty sure I can pass it".
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Don K

Phorester

They probably put him in the forestry school at UGA

Dodgy Loner

Yer dang straight that's whar they put me ;D ;D ;D

By the way thurlow, that was quite possibly the longest post in FF history.  You'll get carpal tunnel if you keep that up :D

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I was playing music at a function yesterday.  We (the Band) made the mistake of playing "Rocky Top", and sure enough, just as you would have predicted, an ugly looking guy walked up with a big grin on his face........said he was a Tennessee fan, and the song really got him fired up.  He was all excited.  Said his name was Thurlow :)

You know what Tennessee graduates call Georgia graduates?????  Boss  8).

Max sawdust

True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

WDH

Hey Thurlow, no offense....just kidding.   You are probably not even a Tennessee fan :) :).

thurlow

Quote from: WDH on July 17, 2007, 07:58:02 AM
Hey Thurlow, no offense

I knew that; I'm sure everyone's heard the tale; it's been making the rounds for years, with the appropriate school/coach involved.  My institution of higher learning was Ripley High School.....class of '62.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

LumberBuck

Is it just my imagination or did this topic stray ever so slightly from paying for yard trees?

Tom

It's the Forestry Forum Way. :D

Thank You Sponsors!