iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help ID this tree

Started by wkf94025, August 05, 2023, 06:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkf94025

A large specimen (~4ft DBH) came down this morning, taking out power in our neighborhood.  I spoke to the property owner about my potential interest in the trunk section.  What species is this?  Worth my time?

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

wkf94025

Dropping the photos on https://identify.plantnet.org/ yielded the following results, which suggests to me it's Quercus agrifolia Nee, aka coast live oak, which I already have too much of.

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Old Greenhorn

Well, it has branches, and it has leaves. I am thinking it's some sort of tree? :D
 Seriously though. Some better photos showing the leaf structure and he bark on the tree would be helpful, even a good clear leaf photo would help a lot. Maybe it's just my screen, but I can't make much out of that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ianab

Yeah, a bit hard to tell. 

Are the leaves slightly serrated or smooth edges? Also the new leaves on the end of the twigs don't look "oakish". Reminds me more of some sort of magnolia, but that's not any sort of accurate ID  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wkf94025

Thank you both.  I'll try to get better photos.  At the time I snapped those yesterday, there were power lines all over the yard, and unclear if they were hot or not.  I couldn't get as close as I would have liked to the tree.  Pretty sure it's a coastal live oak, Quercus Agrifolia.

Thank You Sponsors!