iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Super 70 performance

Started by KWood255, January 09, 2024, 08:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Hi all, while I'm waiting for my LT70 to arrive (50+ weeks) just curious what the experienced members here have found for performance vs the LT40?

I started with a LT35, upgraded to the 40 and now awaiting a 70. My LT40G38 has performed very well, and has been quite flat sawing once a few bugs were worked out of it, and with the addition of carbide bands. I typically run the 0.45x1.25 razortips on my 40.

With the 70 running .055x1.50 blades combined with significantly more hp, I am hoping for about the flattest sawing available as long as I do my part, with proper blades and correct alignment. Is this a fair expectation in your experience?

The controls concern me, but I'm excited for the change.  I'm sure they will take many hours of practice to become proficient.

Thanks for your comments as usual.

YellowHammer

I don't know that it saws any flatter, but it saws a whole lot faster.  Watch a few of my videos to get an idea of the speed. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

It will take you 40 hours or so to get really good with the joysticks, but once you do you will never look back.  I struggle, really struggle, when I have to use my 35 for anything more than a re-saw now, I am so used to not having to remove my hands from the joysticks to run the mill. 

Read the book, the whole book, after you take the training class, and keep it close, there are a lot of features available in the setworks that will make things a lot easier for you.  I use temporary reference points all the time for example. 

As far as performance goes - you will definitely see an increase. Learning to change bands in a timely manner when you aren't walking along side of the mill is important to keep performance up.  Check the drive belt every week, mine needs a tweak just about every 50 hours and performance drops if it's loose.  Plug the bottom lubemizer hole, use diesel in the lube tank, and never look back. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the hydraulics are fast, really, really fast when the band is engaged.  The same joysticks control the bed and the head, so it's important to keep track of which mode you are in so you don't slam the clamp into the band when it's turning.  Knock on wood I never did that, but I sure came close a time or two - did I mention things move fast on that mill? 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!