iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some small building advice

Started by Redhorseshoe, December 13, 2020, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhorseshoe

Well I'm sure everyone's seen these little metal carport kits you can buy.  I'm thinking about building one of this same design out of 6x6's and 4x6's but wondering if there'd be any issues with the frame being unsupported/unconnected at the bottom.  What do you all think?  I'm wanting one for a shelter I could take down and move later if I wanted to and it seems like a fun little project.

sawguy21

It would be heavy so not easily portable, 6x6 would be overkill. The base could be anchored with stakes to prevent spreading assuming you are not sitting on a rock outcropping.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hedgerow

We have a fair amount of those type of car ports around here and also build some portable animal sheds around here and use a 6x6 on bottom or old oil well drill stem for skids so you can move them around. But in my area you better have them staked down well or they will get blown over and tore up. 

Don P

They are getting bracing in the long direction by wrapping the roof over the posts and securing there, in the cross direction they have a relatively rigid frame, neither of which you'll have in wood so you'll need to have some form of bracing along the length, some type of truss and bracing from the posts to trusses. I see those lightweight carports flipped by the wind and smushed by the snow fairly often so build to resist that.

alan gage

I thought about building one of these too. But when I priced them out I just couldn't justify it knowing how much time and materials I'd have in it. Plus someone else put it up for me!

It's all screwed together so shouldn't be a problem taking it apart and reassembling.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

woodworker9

Late to this, just saw it.  Make sure you anchor it down.  Around here, those make great kites.  My next door neighbor dropped one in the middle of his large pasture for the horses to have cover.  A week later, I saw it flipped over and destroyed by a wind storm.  He never anchored it.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

alan gage

Quote from: woodworker9 on December 17, 2020, 01:39:03 PM
Late to this, just saw it.  Make sure you anchor it down.  Around here, those make great kites.  My next door neighbor dropped one in the middle of his large pasture for the horses to have cover.  A week later, I saw it flipped over and destroyed by a wind storm.  He never anchored it.
Mine is 24x40 with 12' sidewalls. At that height they put in heavier gauge legs and bigger braces. No tin on the ends or sides (it's for lumber drying). I paid a little extra for them to use mobile home anchors at install. A couple months later we had a huge wind come through town. Took the roofs off multiple buildings, one of which was directly across the street and carried it about 100 yards. Another one was three blocks away. Lots of big trees uprooted in the neighborhood. It was the hardest hit corner of town. I was sure my building was going to be toast but it was standing just as straight as ever.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

farmfromkansas

Have picked up 2 of those carports after they blew away.  Was thinking of building my own with oil well pipe, and to anchor it could drill a post hole maybe 4' deep, use a piece of strap iron with a bolt through the end in the concrete, and drill a hole through the carport frame and put a couple bolts through the strap iron and the frame.  Then if you want to move it, remove the bolts. One post hole and anchor on each corner.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!