iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Must be a setting on my laptop... or something...

Started by Mike W, March 01, 2019, 08:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike W

I must have some setting or something on my laptop that causes this, hope someone has an idea:

When I view a post that someone has placed a short video I see this most of the time:

The webpage at https://www.youtube.com/embed/3x9PvoBzylU?rel=0 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

It must be something with my computer, I know the video is available as there are usually comments right away about the video.  Once and a while when I revisit the post its there, then gone the next time ???

I tried to do a search on this issue, either no one else has this problem or I didn't know the right key words to properly search, so apologize if this has been addressed and resolved, if so, please let me know what to search for

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Mike

lxskllr

A couple options...

Any script or ad blockers? They could be interfering.

Slow internet? If you're on dialup, or maybe satellite, the request could be getting lost. Would also apply to good internet with hardware issues.

I typically block youtube to save bandwidth, and speed page loading. If something seems particularly interesting, I'll enable it to watch the video.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mike W

Thanks for the reply guys, will check those settings.  I didn't have any thought it was the website as for whatever reason sometimes the video is there and I can view it without changing anything or having to enable or allow viewing, yet most times I get that message, just a bit frustrating on my end, think I am missing out on some good views.

Guess I will have my son take a wack at it, Windows - grrrr, I'm an ole A-DOS guy, guess I should have kept up better with the technology.

Mike W

Well, still haven't figured it out, on a good note, Jeff's video on posting photo's finally was there for me and I can now at the least upload some pic's of some of the exciting things we have been doing and planning to do this upcoming year 8)

Great video BTW, like most things in life, quite simple once you know how!!!!  It's all in the details...

lxskllr

Maybe try a different browser. If that works, you can either keep using it, or figure out what's going on with whatever you're using now.

Mike W

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.  Been using Chrome as it seemed the older internet explorer was taking what seemed to be forever to load any page I was attempting to view.  Didn't care for Chrome originally, suppose just my resistance to change, but does seem to load pages much quicker then the older explorer.  will log in using that platform and see if there is a difference.

Mike

lxskllr

I use and endorse firefox...

Download Firefox ? Free Web Browser ? Mozilla

IE might be ok to eliminate the browser as a source of the problem, but I wouldn't use it as a daily driver. It's pretty much deprecated by MS. They're pushing their new Edge browser, which they're switching over to using the chromium backend...

Which brings another point you probably don't care about. The web's becoming a monoculture of Chrome. When one company holds too much power, everyone suffers. It happened in the early 00s with IE, and Firefox broke MS's stranglehold on the web. Now, everyone's forgotten, and they're putting all their eggs in google's basket, cause it'll totally turn out better *this* time  :^D

Anyway, you can ignore the tech politics if you want. The idea's to try to nail down where the problem is, but whatever you choose, stick with a browser that has good support, either Firefox, Chrome, or one of the supported Chrome clones; maybe Edge if your Windows is new enough to have it.

Mike W

Thanks for the insight, all taken to heart as valuable information.  I will look into this further using some of your suggestions mentioned.  I have a couple Architects and Engineers I frequently conduct business with that use FireFox as their main browser platform, always thought it to be a bit behind the curve, lack of proper understanding on my part I am sure.  Never been a MS fan nor Google, seems both are a necessary evil in the context of most content is disseminated through those platforms, again lack of fully understanding on my end

Thank you for your effort and time spent replying, I will use the information provided to further my advancement.

Most appreciated, Will post any improvements / findings once I venture into other realms.

Jeff

If you are using a system that still uses I.E. Thats more than likely your combined problem. I refuse to use I.E. and I do not use chrome on a desktop. Firefox here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mike W

Thank you, following your's and lxskllr's advise and looking into FireFox as an alternative browser, as mentioned didn't care for Chrome, but disliked I.E. even less

Will post and hopefully close out this Threads issue I am having.

Most appreciated..