iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kawasaki Engine on 91 WM Lt-40-HD

Started by Pine_log, December 01, 2011, 11:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine_log

Hi im new to the Form, Just wonting to know if i could put a Kawasaki Engine on my 91 Lt-40 -HD, i was looking at a 29HP with Fuel Injection and Water cooled, i have a tired Linamar 24hp engine on the mill now. Would the weight be a problem or not ??

Thanks Pine
" Keep your blade sharp and the dust flying "
            Woodmizer LT-40-HD-24
            Prentice 120G log loader
            Grafner Iron Mule Forwarder
            Husqvarna 372 / 388xp
            MF-175 / Skidder / loader
            T 190 Bobcat Skid steer
            Case CX-75 excavator

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Pine_log!  I don't have an answer for you. Woodmizer may give you the info you need if you call technical support (click on woodmizer link to the left).  Also, member Pineywoods has put a Kawasaki on his lt40 although I think it was a  later model. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Left Coast Chris

Member JPGreen has put one on his LT40 also.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

MartyParsons

Hello,
If you look at the history of WM you will see there were many changes to the LT40 model around 1996. The location of the cam followers to the top rail were one of these changes. The 1991 has the roller at a 45 d angle after 1996 the cam followers were directly on the top of the rail. 96 was the first year for the diesels and some heavier motor / engines.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

zopi

Do some research on the particular engine you have...there is a span of 29 hp kawis thar have problems snapping crankshafts....found that one out when shopping for a mower.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bill Gaiche

Welcome, Pinneywoods has one on his mill I believe and he can give you some tips about this when he reads this. bg

pineywoods

Welcome Pine_log.. Yeah, I have a 25 hp kawasaki on my 95 lt40. Replaced a 18 hp briggs that just plain wore out. It was a pretty simple change. Drilled 4 new holes in the motor mount plate to match the kaw, replaced the v-belt pulley with a slightly larger one. Kept the original drive belt. The crank on the kaw is about an inch lower than the briggs was, requiring a bit of surgery on the belt guards. Had to add an elbow on the exhaust pipe, it comes out the left side of the muffler pointing right at the plastic fuel tank. Not good. Had it up and running the same day. Mine is the carburated version. The only problems I have had really weren't the fault of the motor. Got some crud in the carb bowl,sawdust in the fuel filter. One instance of a stuck exhaust valve due to a tank of ethanol gas. You are close enuff to come look, would be welcome. I'm up in union parish about 5 miles south of marion, retired and usually here.  Got some other stuff you might be interested in. My mill has home-made hydraulics, home-made autoclutch, and remote control.

Weight was no problem for me, but if it is, I have a fix for that problem..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I agree FISHPHAMER, I would call WOODMIZER and talk with them. They may have a diagram they can send you for modifications.

But I do know for a fact....they will be a BIG help!

Good Luck!

P.S. Welcome to the Forum.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Pine_log

Guy's Thanks for all the feed back so soon, I will call woodmizere and see what thay say, Im a big DIY, like most of yall. Pineywoods I would realy like to stop by sometime and look at your mill for sure, I will in box you and sure get by there.  (Keep the saw dust in the air)

Thanks Pine_log
            Woodmizer LT-40-HD-24
            Prentice 120G log loader
            Husqvarna 372 / 388xp
            T 190 Bobcat Skid steer
            Case CX-75 excavator

jpgreen

This is a 27hp I installed (new) on my 1995, back in 2006.

Good advice to check out what ever engine considered for defect history. This model is bullet proof.

Also installed a debarker. Upgraded the head chains with newer heavy duty. Did all kinds of stuff and basically rebuilt the whole thing. Not a tic of trouble with it.

I relocated the control mount as well shown in the top pic. It was really nice getting the control out and away from the head like newer models.

QuoteOFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED.
you have been a member for a long long time. You know that.
You can edit this out when you put the photos in your forum gallery

Jeff.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

Where the mill sat in the picture above, now sets my shop. All made with my Kawamizer....  8)

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED.

TimGA

JP,  Amazing what a engine swap will inspire ! Mill and shop look great. Love to see finished shop.  Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Pine_log.  I enjoyed the phone conversation that we had a few days ago, and as you can readily see, you will have many sawyers offering assistance here.  Pineywood's offer is genuine, and his knowledge is extensive.    smiley_thumbsup

I like the name that you decided on, and I really like your location on the "Members Map".   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Hey J P did you ever fix that exhaust pipe? Just so everybody else knows what I'm asking about, the outlet from the muffler on the kawasaki points right at the side of the plastic fuel tank. JP had a smashed beer can duct taped to the side of the tank to protect ? it. :)

I concur, the kaw is a good solid piece of machinery.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

jpgreen

Yep Piney-

I had welded up an exhaust pipe not long after that pic. 

How do you remember that stuff? .... :D

I think there's a step by step thread somewhere here on my engine swap. Pretty easy job really, if you've done anything like that. The Woodmizer mill is simple heavy duty engineering. A work of art.

Pine_log

Hay thanks Magic and Jp. Ive got one more day out here in the big blue water, then im off, Going to look at pineywoods set up.   Wish your pic would have posted JP would like to have seen the upgrade you done on your engine install. What has me the most is the EFI and water cooled of the Kawasaki engine. 

Pine_log
(Keep your blades turning Guy's)
            Woodmizer LT-40-HD-24
            Prentice 120G log loader
            Husqvarna 372 / 388xp
            T 190 Bobcat Skid steer
            Case CX-75 excavator

jpgreen

PM me your email and I will send you the pics if you would like Pine_log.

pineywoods

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17276.msg248977.html#msg248977

click on the above link to go to jpgreen's detailed lengthy posts on his kaw upgrade. Mine was a good bit simpler, my mill is (was) a manual. jp inspired me to tackle the kawmizer conversion...You needn't be concerned about the liquid cooling.. I might have added a cup of anti-freeze in 1000 hrs of running. It's smoother than the briggs I took off, and a bunch quieter.

jpgreen

Bout' all the pics are there on that link Pine_log.

Thanks  for finding it piney.

Magicman

That was an interesting read even if you are not gonna do an engine swap.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!