iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An unusual logging crew....Grandma & Grandson

Started by ironmule4501, October 06, 2019, 11:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironmule4501

Here is a photo of my grandma and I, standing proud beside our Iron Mules. 
Our crew consists of Me, my grandma, and my grandpa (who hates to be in photos, LOL). My grandpa cuts, while me and my grandma skid with the Iron Mules. We are definitely Not your typical logging crew!  :D

----

Don't ya cut timber on a windy day!

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

Say when

thecfarm

I betcha not many that log with thier Grandmothers. Like that logging equipment too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Puffergas

Can I like that a 100 times! ! Keep the photos coming.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Iwawoodwork

wonderful post.  more history on the family and logging operation, you have really got the attention of forum members.

Ianab

Lady machinery operators are usually very good at the job. No so much rip and bust, but more care and precision. so they get the job done without breaking things.  :) 

Learn to drive like your Gran  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

I'd agree with Ian, women tend to be much gentler operators and break a lot less. They also tend to do the job the way they are trained (they listen). Which I find quite ironic, being that my wife doesn't listen to much of what I say😁
Too many irons in the fire

ironmule4501

Quote from: Ianab on October 08, 2019, 05:59:31 AM
Lady machinery operators are usually very good at the job. No so much rip and bust, but more care and precision. so they get the job done without breaking things.  :)

Learn to drive like your Gran  ;)
Yeah she's easy on the equipment and her piles are always even and pretty lol.  She's the one who taught me how to skid, so my piles are usually pretty neat too, but probably not as good as hers, haha!

ironmule4501

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on October 08, 2019, 12:27:30 AM
wonderful post.  more history on the family and logging operation, you have really got the attention of forum members.
Well, both my grandma and grandpa have been logging for a long time. My grandma started skidding for her dad with a dozer when she was 12, and would load trucks by hand.  She got out of the business for many years to be a stay at home mom, but also worked a couple jobs at stores for extra cash. When she met my (step) grandpa in 1993, she started skidding for him with this Iron Mule and has been doing it ever since! And now im part of the team too.
 - & My grandpa started working in the woods at age 10, with his dad and has been doing it all his life. Started with horses, upgraded to a dozer, then a Ford tractor then they got the Iron Mules. His dad retired years ago and recently passed away, so we are keeping the family business running strong! :)

Iwawoodwork

wow,    great history and so good that you have the opportunity to learn from and work with your grand parents.  Wish my grandson (22yrs) was interested in learning to operate my machinery.

livemusic

Very cool! Take plenty pics of Grandpa when he's not looking, he won't be here forever. Actually... I'd recommend you interview him on video (can do it with your phone!) about the old days. Those days gone forever, ask lots of interview questions!
~~~
Bill

Ron Scott

~Ron

cashman234

I've noticed a lot of younger people are not that interested in the business. It's a shame, missing out on a lot of fun.

Kodiakmac

Nice story.  Neat photo.  Haven't seen too many Iron Mules this side of the border...not too many Grandma-Grandson logging teams either!  :D
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

cutterboy

This is a great story!
Hey Mr young ironmule...Any woman who loves and is willing to work with her husband skidding logs in the woods is a magnificent woman. Be happy you get to work with her. I'm sure she is happy to be working with you.
 Wishing the very best to you and your Grans, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

larry12

RichTired

Making real life memories with your grandpa & grandma, good for you! Stay safe and learn all you can from their experiences.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!