iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving Logs?

Started by Bosco, December 11, 2019, 09:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

I'm in the Mountains and have a lot of Ponderosa Pine, I have already milled a bunch of the easy ones, So is it easier to move logs to the Mill or the mill to the logs? I have a Lt15, and a couple tractors but no winch or log arch.

Stephen1

The logs need to be staged to get them onto the mill. You will then have to move the bundles of sawn wood. If you have them on the tractor keep going to the mill, especially if the mill is close to home/shop. Of course I have never moved logs in the mountains, only skied down them.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Revival Sawmill

Stephen's advice lines up with my experience!  It's far easier to move the mill, but when you consider all the support equipment/where you want to stage the logs in relation to the mill/where you plan to sticker and stack the wood/sawdust and flitch disposal, it almost always makes more sense to skid the logs out to the mill. Just watch out for embedding mud/pebbles/junk in the bark.

Southside

I think a big part of the answer is "it depends".  Depends on the site where the timber is, ease of access, support equipment, etc.  Growing up I can remember a couple of portable, commercial sawmills that would be set up in the woods, as in 50 miles into the woods, even as late as the '80s.  These were not portable in what we think of today, more along the lines of a Hurdle mill set up.  There was lots, and lots, of spruce and fir being cut due to the Spruce Bud Worm epidemic so setting the mill up in the woods made for only clean lumber leaving.  Less residue to deal with, I suspect less potential to move the bug was part of the logic, less total weight to truck.  Basically an entire operation would move onto a site for 6 months or so and hammer away.  It was always fun as a kid going back to those sites after they moved on to see what "treasures" we could find that were left behind.  You know - a good old broken, wood handled, peavey, or a busted to junk saw tooth...ahh - we were going to be rich with all we discovered.   ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mart

I just ordered a log skidder for my three point hitch from Small Woodlot Tools. Pretty simple and you don't need to get off the tractor to use it. The web site says it will take up to a 22 inch tree. That will be fine for 95% of the stuff I cut.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

SawyerTed

Some of our farm is "so steep it isn't good for anything but holding the rest of the world together" as my late father in law would say. So I have 30 years of experience moving logs on steep ground with tractors.  Caution and wisdom to know the limits are essential.  Some logs aren't worth the risk.

The "it depends" response also applies to the tractors you have and to the comfort you have in skidding logs with a tractor.  Are the tractors capable of handling your logs? Are they 4WD or 2WD?  Do the tractors have loaders that will handle the logs?  Is a log arch an option?  Can you pull the logs out of the woods with a tractor and cable?  Could you hire the log skidding by someone who has equipment to safely move the logs to your saw yard?  With the right tractors and handling, moving logs is easier.  

We have a tractor accident in our area with some frequency and often someone was trying to move logs on a hill or in the woods.  If it looks dangerous, it its.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Brad_bb

If you can skid them out to one central location with the tractor and a chain, do that.  Yes you will get dirt etc embeded in one end of the log, but you can use an axe to debark in that area.  If you can get the front end of the log up off the ground to skid, that would be best.  Maybe you can use the 3pt hitch for that?  Having someone to work with you would be a great help too.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

alanh

Ive moved a bunch of good sized logs thru some steep and muddy terrain with this and an atv, Im sure a 4wd tractor would be fine, I was very impressed at the amount of obstacles it would go over and around

Dakota

I sold my Can-Am maverick because I kept having problems with the belt drive system.  Make sure you haul your logs and heavy loads in Low range.
Dave Rinker

alanh

Ive since switched to the Defender model, and yes, low gear is mandatory for work 

Thank You Sponsors!