iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cabin progress UPDATE "Outside is Complete!!!!!"

Started by sbishop, November 23, 2006, 01:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

One step closer!!!!

The outside is finally complete....got the dormers and all the metal facia installed on the weekend. Was suppose to do it a few weeks ago but it rained the whole week i was on vacation....but the outside is done now...

Did get to do a little bit of railing work upstairs...little more then half done....but i had to do a little bit of fishing  ;D

Enjoy
Sbishop

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mooseherder

Woodchuck53

Fanatastic job. I enjoyed the updates, made you feel you were there helping. Enjoy it for the rest of your life. Thank you. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Stephen1

hey Hunter nice fish!...Nice work on the cabin Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sbishop

I wish!!! clww  ;D

But we did get about 10ft of rain (give or take 9ft) last weekend....deer season is on and i'm praying for snow in the next few weeks.....wife is not impress...  :-*
i'm sure we will get our fair share of snow in the next few months. But last year i didn't get any snow at the camp till Jan.

Sbishop

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Yeah, no kidding! I want to see some more pics of your son and those gorgeous fish you guys were pulling in. I see plenty of deer.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

oklalogdog

SBishop - My wife and I are doing very similar to what you are doing.  We have cut and trimmed about 400 trees and have flattened about a hundred of them on two sides. 

We have neighbors who did the same about 30 years ago and their houses are still holding up and strong.  My question to you is what did you use between the log courses?  Our neighbors just used construction adhesive but I feel there should be something better to use with flat on flat.

Also did you saw all your logs the same thickness or did they vary according to size of the log?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

sbishop

Fish pictures?mmmmmmm...the big one got away... :D

I didn't end up doing to much fishing late summer or fall...mostly hanging out with the kids and wife at the camp...i think they call that relaxing?  :)

Ya'll will have to wait until next June...I promised i'll post some!

I forgot to mention plus to take pictures by my flooring is all done, both levels...first level is 1X4 t&g spruce and the lofts are 2x6 t&g spruce...i've got my railing about 1/2 done but i'm all done for this year....can't wait to fire up the wood stove this winter!

sbishop

sbishop

oklalogdog, sound like a fun project!

i didn't put anything between the log courses, for the most part you can't see out...good tight fit. my logs are were attached using rebar, drilled halfway into the course below. i'm thinking you could use some like a gasket sealer you would put between cement and your sill on a stick frame house. not really cheap but you could cut it in half or 1/4" strips?

i've got different size courses...starting with 6" the first 3 row (i think), then 5" half way up the walls, 4" halfway up my gable ends, then 3" to finish it. all i had left was about 100ft of 3"....it will be my sill for my shed (someday)

ask all the questions you want, without the forestry forum, the great people i met here....not sure if i would have what i have now. Now its my turn to give!

Sbishop

Leigh Family Farm

Just saw this thread. Gotta say, nice job building and documenting. My wife approves of the project and says I can do something similar if I want. Now, just need to get the land, designs, mill, friends to help, knowledge, skills, mill, and...  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

oklalogdog

Oh yeah - forgot to mention in my post above - your cabin is just outstanding.  Good Job!

Woodchuck53

That is really a fine place you have and a whole lot of good memories for Hunter. He will enjoy it for a long time to come. Great trip we had with you. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

MotorSeven

Quote from: oklalogdog on October 27, 2012, 06:39:17 AM
SBishop - My wife and I are doing very similar to what you are doing.  We have cut and trimmed about 400 trees and have flattened about a hundred of them on two sides. 

We have neighbors who did the same about 30 years ago and their houses are still holding up and strong.  My question to you is what did you use between the log courses?  Our neighbors just used construction adhesive but I feel there should be something better to use with flat on flat.

Also did you saw all your logs the same thickness or did they vary according to size of the log?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oka,

I just finished my ERC log house. Logs were 6x6x8' long & flat on all 4 sides. I used sill sealer between the logs and it has worked out very well. I bought mine on sale via Ace Hardware outlet:
http://www.lifeandhome.com/sill-seal-5-1-2-x50.html

I screwed them together with 10" Oly Log screws. For the end butt joints I stuck a square of sill sealer between the ends, then angled my log screws to pull the joint tight. Out of 300 logs and close to 1,000 end joints I only had half a dozen that I could see daylight through. Log caulking on both sides of the joint fixes that.

Spend some time and shop around for all your supplies....prices vary quite a bit.

Here is my build thread if you are interested:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/156451-log-house-project-begins.html
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

beenthere

MS
Pls post some pics here that you think are representative of your build.  Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

MotorSeven,

I loved the pics from the link, problem is I don't have enough time to go through all the pages.  It would be cool if you had just pics posted someplace so we could all quickly go through them.  I haven't seen anything yet but the foundation, but I have a good imagination!  It's going to be a wonderful place!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

reride82

Quote from: oklalogdog on October 27, 2012, 06:39:17 AM

On my cabin the first course was 16", then 14", then 4 courses of 12" and I am on the first course of 11" logs. I am using foundation sill foam between each layer and staple it down before laying the log on top of it. I also cut off the inside face of the log to make the inside flat, less peeling, and it makes the butt and pass corners easier. Basically I made D shaped logs and usually left a little rounded on the inside corners so as to leave a groove to make it easier to chink the inside joints. The course I'm on now will have the loft logs in it too so it is starting to look like something  ;)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

oklalogdog

Thanks for the great ideas and tips folks.  We are making progress slowly but surely and working every available hour on the project.  As soon as I get enough to look at I will post pictures.  Been cutting, dragging, and trimming logs in our spare time for nearly two years.  Why did I not know it was going to be this much work?

MotorSeven

Reride we need some pic's.

As for mine I don't have any updated "house finished" pic's yet. The reason is that the place looks like a tornado hit.....I hate moving :( Boxes everywhere, too much stuff to the point it looks like a Cracker Barrel exploded. On top of all this company is enroute for Turkey day....

I'll update pic's when things get organized. As far a the build goes, there are about a thousand pic's in the build thread.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

oklalogdog

Quote from MotorSeven
QuoteI screwed them together with 10" Oly Log screws. For the end butt joints I stuck a square of sill sealer between the ends, then angled my log screws to pull the joint tight. Out of 300 logs and close to 1,000 end joints I only had half a dozen that I could see daylight through. Log caulking on both sides of the joint fixes that.
One of my neighbors who built his own log home from native ERC was a building contractor by trade.  He also sawed his logs 6" thick (D logs) and used the 10" OLY Log screws.  He said his house is "hands down" the strongest structure he has ever built.

blackfoot griz

SBishop,

Thanks for sharing your build.  Love it!

Thank You Sponsors!