iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manila Rope?

Started by jander3, October 05, 2008, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

Anyone have a reliable source for Manila rope?  I need the rope by October 14.   I found this link on the internet that I am considering:

http://www.contractorsrope.com/manila-rope-prices.html.

I need a few hundred feet of 5/8" or 3/4" to use as the main guy and forward safety for portable gin pole that will be used for lifting logs on to building.

beenthere

Do you ever get to 7 Corners Hardware in St. Paul?  Suspect they would have that rope.
   (edit..although I didn't find it online at 7 corners  ::) )

Otherwise,
McMaster-Carr has it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Not familiar with your link, but know MC is a good source, and quick delivery.

I like your blog, and appreciate you taking the time to describe your rigorous building efforts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Why manilla? Hargly anybody uses it any more because other options are so much better. For restoring an antique piece of equipment to original specs I'd use manilla, but for something involving lifting or use as a safety line I wouldn't even consider it. Heck, it may even be against OSHA regulations to even use it any more.

jander3

Manila has very good stretch resistance.  I used nylon for a guy line once...never again. 

The Army Field Manual (my favorite when you have to figure out lifting loads and gin pole sizing) rates 3/4" Manila at 5,400 lbs break strength and a working load of 1,350 lbs.   I'm lifting 500 lbs logs.  Depending on the angle of the gin and length of the guy line, the load on the guy will be something under 500 lbs.  With an eye-splice on the guy line where it connects up to the portable gin pole and the guy tied off to an anchor, there is only one knot to weaken the rope...3/4" is plenty.

Price is the main reason I use Manila as it is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other choices. 

I have to truck up my logs, skid them into the site, and put them on the building...probably 2 or 3 days of picking with the portable gin.   Then the rope gets retired.

Manila is like any other rope, you need to take care of the rope, keep it dry, and carefully inspect it prior to use.

The Army Field Manual on rigging can be found at the following link:
http://www.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/active_fm.html

On this page, the manual is FM 5-125.  It is a pretty big PDF file.  However, if you ever need to pick something and want more assurance than the traditional "She'll be alright", the manual is an excellent resource.

Larry

This may be showing my age.  When I worked for the telephone company bucket trucks were not common.  To work on aerial cable the splicers would hoist up a platform and tie it off with manila rope.  Two splicers would sit on a platform with all there equipment and splice cable.  I got to thinking one time and ordered a reel of 5/8" poly...big mistake.  The splicers didn't like it because it was hot on there hands.  The safety guy went berserk when he discovered the poly rope.  He said poly rope could fatigue and fail before showing any signs of deterrioration.  As any good telephone man knows you inspect manila rope before every use. ;)  Turn the strands inside out and look for mold and abrasion.  Inspect the outside for abrasion.

I'm sure things have changed over the years.  I still have several hundred feet of new 5/8" poly rope the safety man told me to get rid of years ago. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kevin

I'm with Rocky on this one.
A 1/2" double braid will have a 10,400 lb. tensile strength.
The telco's aren't using manila on their ladders any longer, just too many better alternatives.

jander3

beenthere,

Thanks.  I never thought of McMaster.  They had the rope, I ordered it Sunday, and the rope got here today.  I made up the eye splices this evening so I will be ready to go as soon as I get the pulley rig from the welder later this week.

Jon

Jim_Rogers

Show us your set up when you have it done....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!