iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handset circle sawyers

Started by bandmiller2, April 27, 2008, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I need some advice,how close do you run the carrage knees[slides] to the saw,and do most of you cut down to a 1" cantboard or 2".What do you consider good clearance from the loose collar to the bottom of the knee.The carrage I'am building will use 3x6" I beams would it be better to mount the flat wheel inside the carrage frame so the sawdust doesn't get driven down agenst the track,will also have track cleaners.Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

You ask a lot of questions.   :D   For the flat wheels, I'd mount them outside the carriage and put on some type of track cleaner.  The reason would be that I would want as wide of a foot on the track as I can get.  If you mount your wheels inside the carriage frame, you could get a lot of weight the ends of your knees if you had a wide, heavy piece and your uprights and dogs.  That could tip your carriage, even a small bit.  Just something I don't think is what you want to do.

I have always sawn down to a 2" cantboard.  I've seen carriages that go closer, mine included.  But, I've always had problems with that last board.  First, sometimes its going to go in a lot of different directions from all the stress that's built up.  There's always the risk of clipping a dog, especially when you have a bowing board going against your saw and heating it up.  Then there is always the risk of a board falling off the headblock while you're sawing.  I look at it more as a safety thing than anything else. 

Your knees should clear the loose collar by about 1/4".  As for closeness, I would go about 1/2".  I've seen saws that will deflect more than that when conditions are right (like a piece of wood stuck behind the saw or feeding way too fast).  If it deflects too much, you're hitting a headblock, and that means lots of metal flying around.  You can make these bigger if you like. 

How big of collar are you running and what size is your saw?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Ron thanks for all the advice.The collars are 6"and the headsaw I have now is 46" 21/2 pattern 40 teeth I would like to find a larger headsaw B pattern with fewer teeth.I'll have plenty of power 671 detroit but I don't want too fast a feed,production is not at the top of my list,and I don't want things happening too fast. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

If you use a small collar and a large saw, you'll have problems in controlling the saw.  I'm running a 54" B pattern saw, and have 8" collars.  I'm also running 690 RPM.

Most of the older handset mills I have run usually ran at about 520 RPM with a 52" blade.  I was at one mill that had their's down to 325 RPM.  The saw doc told me that he couldn't hardly do anything for the saw at that speed.  It was hard to saw at that speed because everything was too slow. 

I've run with a 471 on a small mill, but mostly used a 671.  We used it for the headsaw, and for hydraulics for the edger and mill. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawyerfortyish

Each mill is differant. I tryed a 48" 2 1/2 pattern saw and my 471 just couldn't do it. It didn't have enough power. But I could run a 52" b pattern for sawing oak with no problem. My 471 only ran at 1200 rpm to get 550 rpm on the blade. Now I run a 671 and have a heavy flywheel on the mandrell.
   When I saw I never go under an 1 1/2" dog board and I usally kick that last board over to the band resaw to true it up. That last board is always thick and thin because of the stress in the log. I think the beds on my carrige pass the collar and clear by 5/8".

LeeB

I guess I otter read the circle mill posts more often, even though most of what ya'll are saying sounds Greek to me. Maybe I can pick up the lingo.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

Just don't fall into any traps, LeeB, there are no doohinckus's or thingamajiggies on a circle mill. If someone tells you otherwise, they are pulling your leg. :D Us bandmillers must always stick together and be on the lookout for  circle mill pranksters. :D :D :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodchuck53

Hey guys we always talk 1" and 1". That meant 1" above the collar measured from the flat of the channel carrying the knee and 1" from the face of the blade where the angle base is squared off above the angle. Always worked for me on the old Corley.

Hey Frank how's the weather up there. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

D._Frederick

Sawyerfortyish,

I guess I don't understand why someone would spend alot of money on a sawmill and then not set it up correctly?  If I remember correctly, the  Detroit Series 71 was designed to operate at 2100rpm. 1200 rpm would be out of its power band and it would not have enough power to "pull your hat off".  You need a lot bigger pulley on the saw mandril to get your engine speed in the correct operating range and then have your saw blade hammered for this speed.                   

Sawyerfortyish

D_fredrick 27 years ago We set the mill up for our own use. At the time Dad wouldn't spend any more than he had to for anything.I started out with a 70hp ford tractor. The pully on the tractor along with the the one on the mill were correct to get the most out of the tractor I could. Then I came across the 471 it worked ok and I know it was running to slow but I had never intended to have the sawmill business take off like it did we only put the mill in to saw a few boards for our own use. Now 27 yrs later things are way differant. I run 671 and it's set up right. I can saw more now in a couple hours than I could in a couple days when I started

Thank You Sponsors!