iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dove hunting

Started by J Beyer, August 29, 2002, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

Anyone on this forum go dove hunting?  I live in Wisconsin and we still don't have a dove hunt (the Mourning Dove is the State Bird of Peace).  I would be interested in traveling next year for a dove hunt so if any of you can provide me information as to where to get the cost of out-of-state hunting licensing (I have passed hunter's safety).

What kind of habitat do doves prefer?  how can a plan/make a field attractive to doves?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

RobK

JB,

I hunt doves here in Indiana and I'm ready for it! Season opens Sunday. You can find info on Indiana's out-of-state fees at the Indiana DNR website (http://www.state.in.us/dnr/fishwild/index.htm). If you were born before 1986 there are no hunter saftey class requirements.

As to what doves like, the DNR here plants mostly sunflowers, sorghum, and millet. Also being near a water source helps. Field & Stream has some good articles online about dove hunting.

-Rob
-Rob

Haytrader

We have cazillions of doves here in SW Kansas. The season runs from Sept 1st to Oct. 1st. We just get by that water source as Rob mentioned and wait for them to fly over. When you clean them you find wheat seed and weed seed in thier craw. I have some ponds that are close to feilds where they feed which makes for good hunting. What throws a kink in dove hunting is when it rains and there are water holes in the feilds and they don't have to go to the ponds. We take our lawn chairs and beverage and hunt away. Come on down and help yourself.
Haytrader

Corley5

We don't have a dove season here in Mi. either.  As soon as they cross the statelines to the south they are far game.  We fatten em up and everybody else gets to eat them.  They really seem to like buckwheat.  We've got a large patch at Green Timbers that is attracting doves by the thousands this year.  Should make for good shooting for you guys in the south when they head your way.  How many doves does it take to make a meal?  They don't seem like they'd add up very fast.  How do prepare them?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Haytrader

Corley,

All we save are the breasts. No knife is needed to dress them. Pull the head off, tear the skin just under the breast and peel it up exposing the breast. Put your thumb under the breast and grab everything else with your other hand. A simple twist and you are done. We cook them two different ways. The easiest is to peel a few taters and slice them in a caserol dish, put in a few dove breasts and a can or two of cream of mushroom soup and bake for an hour. You have meat, taters, and gravy in one dish and the dove are really tender. The other way we fix them is to wrap each breast with bacon and squirt some worchesertshire (sp) and cook on the grill......yumm.  

Oh, little feller like me it takes 4 or 5 with fixins. ;)
Haytrader

WV_hillbilly

Corely5                                                                                          down here in Ohio we appreciate you feedin them doves for us. They taste great.just wish you could get to enjoy huntin them like we in your home state. We get a few buddies together an have fun laughing a each other when someone misses an easy one. If you ever get to go , lay in a good supply of shotgun shells cause you'll probably need them.  

Haytrader

You is right about put them in gravy like that. We also wrap bacon round em but  put them in a smoker with apple wood . Um , gettin hungry just think about those birds.

hillbilly
Hillbilly

Jeff

Here is the tip on the proper way to say worchestershire sauce.  "WHATS-THAT-THERE-SAUCE"  There, never be fooled by the pronunciation again. Easier to spell that way too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Thanks Jejj for the AD vice. Had 5 by passes 3 weeks ago and had to go see that doc the other day that tells ya what ya can and what ya can't eat. She said to limit my meat to portions about the size of a deck of cards. Good thing I have one of those decks with the really big numbers for kids and old folks..... ;D

I use WHATS-THAT-THERE-SAUCE a lot and plenty of garlic powder too....... :) :) :)

Haytrader

johncinquo

first post here.  I now live in MI as well, no dove season.  Love to go though.  Have gone out to other states to shoot them and pheasant.  Best things to shoot next to woodcock.  MI will wake up some day and realize we are just sending the birds south to get shot.  we just need to charge more for non residents!  Lived in SD for 5 years, amazing bird hunting!  Saw the duck thread as well, go for that.  My duck partner died last year so I am still thinkin about what to do.  Great sight here Jeff.  Don't see posting dates.  How many people on here from MI?  Seems like quite a few.  Got refered here from a question on another "arbor" type site.  Will try and load a picture with your inx sometime.  Best wishes, JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jeff

Welcome John.

Well Michiganders used to have the majority here but I don't think so anymore.

Where are you from? I'm up here in Harrison.

Kevin

I knew he was from Michigan just as soon as I saw his picture.
You two look alike.

http://groups.msn.com/BrooksiesWildTrip/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=28

Welcome to the abuse John!

Jeff

Yup, he'll fit right in. ;D

johncinquo

Oh My!  Maybe putting my link in was not the best of ideas after all.  I am in Grant.  40 miles north of grand Rapids,  west side of the state.   BTW, would love to see some milling action sometime if anyone can let me know when.  I was trading emails with a guy about 4 miles south of me, but I think life has become busy and his milling has dropped off.  And, would like to see some horse logging.  Would be willing to lend a hand as well, strong back, weak mind, and a few saws.   Best, JB   Oh yeah, I have some old photos I am trying to get digitized for posting of logging, and have taken a few of those strange trees myself and will get posted on that thread over there.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!