iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Let's play "Stump the Donkey".

Started by DanG, March 26, 2005, 11:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

OK SwampDonkey, you're pretty good at looking stuff up.  What would you say this juvenile tree is.  Keep in mind that it is just putting on it's spring growth, with lots of new leaves and shoots. ;D

This tree is just now making a comeback in my area, after being all but wiped out by a severe freeze in 1963.  I have fond memories of climbing them when I was a child.  Think medicinal. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

DanG

Camphor it is, for shore! 8)  I musta made that too easy. ??? ::)   Not to worry though, there's more.

Not to make all you Northern types jealous, but all of these were taken in my yard, yesterday. ;D ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

In 1973 I was heating with wood and had no idea what camphor was.  The boys and I found a huge camphor log in the woods that someone had discarded.  I lit into it with my chainsaw and made firewood out of it.  I noticed a distint odor right away. :D

Me and the boys stacked that stuff in the carport and when I returned from work the following mondy the whole neighborhood smelled like Vicks Vapor rub.    We burned it anyway. :D :D

SwampDonkey

I like this thread and especially the title. 'Stump the Donkey' :D :D

Ah another introduced plant from Asia. The early shoots give away the flower color, like the roses do. They also put camphor oil in the original Noxema. :)

I'm not familiar with the tree Dang, so would'a been awhile to ID. My North American medicinal plant book doesn't list it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Aaaahhh, there you are, SD. :)  The second pic is not Camphor, but a totally different plant.  I have a string of'em all ready for you. When one is figured out, I'll post another. ;D

Y'all feel free to join in. Figure one out or post one of your own. I'd like to keep it to one plant at a time, though, if we can. ::)

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

Dang,

My previous post wasn't a guess for the second post. ;)

Now let me take a stab at it here.....

Looks like cherry to me, or something in the Prunus genus. Long slender stem with flowers on a short shoot. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I'd guess crabapple but they probly don't grow down there.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

asy

Must say, I agree with the Plum guesses.

I'd go one further and guess Angelina plum, since it has a red calyx...

Go on, tell us!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

tnlogger

sorta looks like dogwood to me as they are in bloom. but i cant see to good so i might be wrong ;D
gene

DanG

Yep tnlogger......you're wrong. ;D :D :D  Sorry, I just couldn't hep myself. ::)

It ain't a plum, either.  I had to cut down the plum, 'cause it will try to cross-pollinate with this one, making the [??] very small.    :P

Roxie

Do you have PEACH trees blooming already! ???   :o
Say when

DanG

Yuppers, we do.  And that's what that is! 8) 8)  Yer a winner!  Too bad there ain't no prizes. :D :D

Next one is easy.  Male and female blooms on the same branch.

Riles

Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SwampDonkey

Virginia Stewartia Stewartia malacodendron

asy

Gosh, that looks rather like a cecil brunner rose...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Riles

Oooh, that's sneaky. I just assumed it was a tree, even though I thought the leaves looked like roses. Now that you mention it, I can see the thorns.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Roxie

Say when

DanG

Awww c'mon now.  SD you're gonna hafta translate that for me. ??? :P

The rest of you are on the trail. This thing is growing, unchecked in the thicket to the south of my shop.  This particular branch is hanging over the old truck that serves as a depository for my scrap iron.  The upper reaches of it are probably 60 feet up in the pines.  I thought somebody would get this one in a matter of minutes. ???

tnlogger

camellia according to google this is what SD called it  :D
me i'm lost lol
gene

DanG

Nawp, it ain't no Camellia.  The blossom does look similar, though...single petals and all.

Don't make me hafta tell ya what state claim's this as it's State Flower! >:(

Tom

I know!!   I know!!       ;D

DanG

I knew you knew all along, Tom.  Why don't you just go on and tell the pore things, so I can get on with the rest of the tour? ;D  The next one might even stump YOU!  Well, probbly not, but I might have to post an update to clarify it. ::)

Tom

Let me give a hint.

It's a wild single rose named after the Cherokee indians. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!