iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot part Deux

Started by mesquite buckeye, January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

This is very sad :'( :'( :'(

Not even one guess.

Clue #1: This tree is native to Arizona and adjacent Mexico. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

from the looks of that check, firewood!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

It is one of the white oaks, maybe post oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thurlow

I might guess frassasas, except I reckon it doesn't grow in AZ.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 13, 2013, 10:10:05 PM
It is one of the white oaks, maybe post oak.

Actually a really good guess. That is what it looks like.

Not Fagaceae.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thurlow on January 13, 2013, 11:19:14 PM
I might guess frassasas, except I reckon it doesn't grow in AZ.

Reckon not. :)

mesquite buckeye

Clue #2

The wood is light as balsa. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Okrafarmer

My first thought was an oak, and my second thought was one of the southwestern sycamores. But-- light as balsa? I seriously don't know, then. Errr. . . . Balsa?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 13, 2013, 11:59:49 PM
My first thought was an oak, and my second thought was one of the southwestern sycamores. But-- light as balsa? I seriously don't know, then. Errr. . . . Balsa?

It is a native tree. But funny :D :D :D :D :snowball: :)

8) 8)

pc_smiley smiley_smug01 :snowfight1: popcorn_smiley steve_smiley blindsmiley dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_hanged splitwood_smiley smiley_argue01 bat_smailey smiley_fused_bomb smiley_whip smiley_big-grin2

Dodgy Loner

Are you competing with Meadow's Miller for the "Most Creative and Prolific Use of Smileys" award? ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 14, 2013, 11:35:23 AM
Are you competing with Meadow's Miller for the "Most Creative and Prolific Use of Smileys" award? ;)

Just found them and thought it would be fun since the guesses are coming in a bit slow on this one.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Clue #3:

This tree can grow to 50 feet tall and twenty feet wide.

Clue #4:

This tree produces large, night opening flowers that smell like fresh cut jack o' lanterns.

laugh_at           :rifle:

smiley_biggrin01

thurlow

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!  Cocklebur..........aka cuckleburr.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Dodgy Loner

When you say 20' wide are you referring to the trunk or the crown spread? Cuz if you mean the trunk, then I would have to say baobab. Except you said that it's native, so it's not :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 14, 2013, 12:41:47 PM
When you say 20' wide are you referring to the trunk or the crown spread? Cuz if you mean the trunk, then I would have to say baobab. Except you said that it's native, so it's not :)

Crown spread. Diameter 1-3 feet ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thurlow on January 14, 2013, 12:41:36 PM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!  Cocklebur..........aka cuckleburr.
smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

:D :D :D :D

smiley_bounce  When you find out what it really is, I think you will be surprised. smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky

smiley_devilish smiley_devilish        smiley_gossip smiley_gossip bat_smailey

SwampDonkey

I'd have to say some "lesser" species of buckeye.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

:(  Sorry, not a buckeye or any close relative thereof :(

Javelina season is on.......... :rifle:
                                            sling_shot
                                           :rifle:

pull_smiley fly_smiley help_me wait_smiley smiley_headscratch smiley_crying smiley_argue01

mesquite buckeye

Clue #5:

Blooms mostly in May.       :P :P :P

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

bike_rider

smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_furious

SwampDonkey

It's nice when you have all the answers.  :D ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2013, 06:20:45 PM
It's nice when you have all the answers.  :D ;D

True, but I did have to go get it and cut it........

Hate to give it away when somebody will eventually figure it out. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

SwampDonkey

No, don't give it away. This bunch likes a challenge. When it turns 20 below in a day or two you'll have more sitting around their computer screens, blat'n about the cold if noth'n else. ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 14, 2013, 06:24:50 PM
No, don't give it away. This bunch likes a challenge. When it turns 20 below in a day or two you'll have more sitting around their computer screens, blat'n about the cold if noth'n else. ;D

I think it will get very cold. It was 20 this morning in Tucson, lots of damage on the citrus trees. Maybe colder tonight, High only about 40. It is coming your way. smiley_blue_bounce I'm digging a hole :( ;) smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_male_sign smiley_headscratch smiley_kid smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_thumbsup

That's all the cold guys I could find.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: beenthere on January 14, 2013, 06:28:06 PM
smiley_sleeping  smiley_sleeping  smiley_sleeping  ;D

smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw ;D

Okrafarmer

Yucca? Joshua Tree? Mesquite? Soapberry? Poplar? Desert Ironwood? Madrone? Palo Verde?

I've never been to the southwest, so I really don't know what I'm talking about!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 14, 2013, 06:48:05 PM
Yucca? Joshua Tree? Mesquite? Soapberry? Poplar? Desert Ironwood? Madrone? Palo Verde?

I've never been to the southwest, so I really don't know what I'm talking about!

smiley_thumbsup  I salute your attempt. ;D ;D ;D

Shotguns often hit something.

Yuccas/Joshua trees are like rope inside, no real wood there. Mesquite, madrone, and desert ironwood are all pretty dense woods. I haven't had the chance to get a soapberry yet, so can't be that. Palo verdes are sort of medium-dense, depending upon the species. Poplar, if you mean cottonwoods get 6-8ft thick, 120+ft tall, 60ft wide. Not that.

mesquite buckeye

Clue #6:

Most everybody knows this tree.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

WDH

Is that ray fleck pattern in the wood?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 14, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
Clue #6:

Hmm. Trying to dig out my guide to western trees. Why is it so hard to find things around here?  ??? ::) :-\

MrPete

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 14, 2013, 09:36:24 PM
Clue #6:

Hmm. Trying to dig out my guide to western trees. Why is it so hard to find things around here?  ??? ::) :-\

If it's anything like my place, I know why. ;D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: MrPete on January 14, 2013, 10:01:42 PM
Some sort of cedar?

Not any cedar, juniper or other conifer. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 14, 2013, 09:17:09 PM
Is that ray fleck pattern in the wood?

Yes it is. Big pith rays like bur oaks, but not an oak. smiley_clapping

mesquite buckeye

Clue #7:

Most cowboy movies include this tree.

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_flipping smiley_roller smiley_divide smiley_hollywood_cool fly_smiley sling_shot candle_smiley :rifle: help_me :snowball1: hurt_smiley yikes_smiley zzzz_smiley :snowfight1: popcorn_smiley blindsmiley steve_smiley smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_angel02_wings dangle_smiley teeter_totter pinkie_invert splitwood_smiley smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_monkeyfight smiley_big_grin3

caveman

Caveman

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Okrafarmer

Okrafarmer

Arizona Alder?

Lilac? (Green Grow the Lilacs. . . .)

SwampDonkey

Can't think of any wood that is light weight, ring porous and with ray figure. Must be some kind of large shrub. Is it honey mesquite Prosopis glandulosa, something crazy like that? :D

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: LeeB on January 14, 2013, 11:46:31 PM
Sycamore

Does look a little like it. The ray figure on this one is much larger.

smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky fly_smiley help_me

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 12:39:07 AM
Arizona Alder?

Lilac? (Green Grow the Lilacs. . . .)

Our alder looks sort of like a pinky birch.....

Never saw Lilac wood.

::) ::) ::)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 15, 2013, 04:07:49 AM
Can't think of any wood that is light weight, ring porous and with ray figure. Must be some kind of large shrub. Is it honey mesquite Prosopis glandulosa, something crazy like that? :D

Much crazier than that.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 14, 2013, 11:36:17 PM
Saguaros cactus?

We have a winner.

smiley_clapping       smiley_sidelightbulb smiley_hellow_im_here fire_smiley smiley_beertoast smiley_biggrin01 smiley_indianbrave smiley_horserider smiley_smash smiley_smash smiley_smash

mesquite buckeye

Hard to get much of a board unless it was a really big one.....

Okrafarmer

What? You have got to be kidding!

Like I said, I don't know anything about the southwest, but never in my wildest dreams did I think a cactus could actually have wood in it!

Okrafarmer

Clue #6:

That was our biggest clue. It even crossed my mind, but I never thought a cactus was much different from an okra pod inside.  :-\

mesquite buckeye

They grow in a ring of wood near the outside of the stem. The individual ribs are under each ridge that you can see on the outside. They start out circular in cross section, and grow larger each year, just as any tree would, mostly on the outside, but eventually all these ribs grow together to form a nearly solid cylinder of wood near the base of an old mature plant that can reach 6" or more in depth. After one dies, you can occasionally beat the termites to the wood and get a nice piece.   The younger ribs that are 1/2 - 1 1/2" in diameter were used traditionally to support roofs in adobe homes. They are now used decoratively when you can get them in furniture, shutters and ceilings in southwestern themed homes and restaurants.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 10:38:00 AM
Clue #6:

That was our biggest clue. It even crossed my mind, but I never thought a cactus was much different from an okra pod inside.  :-\

Now you know. All large, columnar cacti have some variation of this construction inside them.

They are pretty cool.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

mesquite buckeye

Now, after those easy ones, I need to find a hard one for QQJ#3.  No? ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 15, 2013, 10:52:29 AM

yikes_smiley  hurt_smiley

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 15, 2013, 05:37:03 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 15, 2013, 10:52:29 AM

yikes_smiley  hurt_smiley

So here we go. I'm putting up #3 right now.

Paul_H

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM
Which tree am I ??? ??? ???

Saguaros cactus is a tree? We have small cacti here in BC,are they also considered a tree?
I'm trying to keep an open mind to create a door where there never was one before  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

That was done just to throw ya off the trail. No door there.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Okrafarmer

Saguaro Cacti are found in my western tree book. I just wish my western tree book would be found soon so I could better participate in this saga!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Paul_H on January 19, 2013, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 13, 2013, 12:43:34 PM
Which tree am I ??? ??? ???

Saguaros cactus is a tree? We have small cacti here in BC,are they also considered a tree?
I'm trying to keep an open mind to create a door where there never was one before  :P

Why not? Woody inside, perennial, single trunk to about 8-10 ft, up to 50 ft tall. Lots of tropical trees aren't all that woody. :) :) :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 19, 2013, 07:22:34 PM
Saguaro Cacti are found in my western tree book. I just wish my western tree book would be found soon so I could better participate in this saga!

We'll get you one that's not in any book.    smiley_biggrin01

Okrafarmer

Then I'll start digging out trees from my trip to Yap, and we may just find one or two that don't even have a scientific name yet! (eeee, ok, I exaggerated, but only just barely).

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 21, 2013, 12:21:49 AM
Then I'll start digging out trees from my trip to Yap, and we may just find one or two that don't even have a scientific name yet! (eeee, ok, I exaggerated, but only just barely).

Those are harder to find. I was just thinking of wood not in any reference collections.... ;D

SwampDonkey

There a few lesser species and especially not stuff like cacti in tree books. They really don't grow the same, kinda like trying to put palms in there. Just don't work out that way. NA commercial woods are only mentioned in Wood Technology books to. Not many cacti and palms being logged for construction and trim.

But with that being said, it's always a good challenge to figure things out since this is a plant ID thread, and wood ID.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 21, 2013, 11:20:00 AM
There a few lesser species and especially not stuff like cacti in tree books. They really don't grow the same, kinda like trying to put palms in there. Just don't work out that way. NA commercial woods are only mentioned in Wood Technology books to. Not many cacti and palms being logged for construction and trim.

But with that being said, it's always a good challenge to figure things out since this is a plant ID thread, and wood ID.

Mostly, although saguaro ribs are used a lot for furniture and high end home detail work in the SW US.

An interesting side note; When I was in school many decades ago at the University of Arizona, in the reference collection for the Forestry Dept. dendrology class were three big pieces of saguaro wood.
Mostly for fun, but a common species in the area, for sure.

Lots of the things I have or will post will have minimal commercial appeal, but I think there is a place for these woods as novelty/specialty woods, and especially for marquetry, since lots of them are really unique in color and texture.

I need to get a really tough one ready......   :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

I have some slices from a piece of wood I found perched 15 feet above the canyon bottom on a huge boulder left by one our big floods in 1983. Took me 15 years to figure out what it was, since it wasn't in any of the books. Sure pretty, though.... ::) ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!