Limerick Tree ID. Who Am I?

Started by doctorb, October 28, 2013, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I'm a tree often absent from the beauty list,
I stand out when others don't, and that's a twist,
In Spring bloom I'm a dud,
My Fall color's a dull thud,
But in Winter my appearance can't be missed.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

evergreen? ,can't be,that would be too easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

I see where you are going and that's not what I had in mind.  I don't think evergreens have fall color!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

Hmmmm....twist.  Must be spiral grain.  No showy flowers.  Not pretty.  Poor fall color.  Hmmmm.  Twist?  Something must be twisted.  Stands out in winter without any leaves? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

Danny- you are right on target!   So give me some candidates!  BTW- you know too much, so don't over think it.

David- I wouldn't know a Witch Hazel if she flew into my kitchen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: doctorb on October 28, 2013, 10:01:36 PM

David- I wouldn't know a Witch Hazel if she flew into my kitchen.

:D :D :D Well it does bloom in the Winter.

thecfarm

Not in the Glacial North it don't.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What region does it grow in, Doc?

WDH

David is twisted. 

Elm is twisted.  Not showy in spring.  Leaves are small and just turn brown and fall off.  Wood is twisted.  Ranges from very hard to split up to unsplittable.  Need firewood in winter.  Trying to split firewood.  Twisted.  Back hurts, wedges don't help.  Winter, cold.  Elm a pain in the butt log.  Firewood.  Twisted. 

Stands out in winter.  Good heating value.  Twisted.

Elm. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

My book shows it in Maine,Hamamelis virginiana

WDH

Witch hazel is in the same family as sweetgum  :).  Sweetgum is twisted.  However, the fall color of sweetgum, a deep purple is a bit showy  :).

doctorb

Quote from: WDH on October 28, 2013, 09:57:42 PMStands out in winter without any leaves?

I don't think a wintering elm is necessarily a notable tree in appearance. 

I may have barked up the wrong tree with this!

WDH

Nope, not notable.  Back to the drawing board....  :P.

doctorb

Widely distributed.  Maine to Iowa to Texas and n. Florida. A common and easily recognized tree.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 28, 2013, 10:18:46 PM
Nope, not notable.  Back to the drawing board....  :P.

That's Rad !

doctorb

Sweetgum is really very pretty in the fall.  There are, however, some similarities with the tree in question.....

Jeff

I don't think I'm up to this. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Quote from: Jeff on October 28, 2013, 10:53:20 PM
I don't think I'm up to this. :D

I know!  I know!  It is a monotype.  The bark is the key, right  ???.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doctorb

Not dogwood.  Nice reddish color in early fall.  Doesn't stand out once the leaves have fallen.

I was wondering when Jeff would appear!  He has difficulty resisting limericks.

doctorb

Quote from: WDH on October 29, 2013, 12:11:25 AM
  It is a monotype.  The bark is the key, right  ???.

Yes and yes.  So close, so very close.

stumpjumper83

Paper Birch?  One evergreen does have some nice fall colors, the Japanese Larch, They turn a pretty yellow in the fall.

doctorb

Paper birch is a tree with which I am not too familiar, but it certainly fits the description.  In my neck of the woods, this mystery tree is very, very common, unlike the paper birch.  Good guess, but not what I am looking for.

Thank You Sponsors!