Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: holiday travel

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 20, 2005, 09:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

Ed_K

To much work to go anywhere  8).
Ed K

isawlogs

I voted outa town ... should add ... if it dont snow .  ::)  Going to thet new place of mine  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Robert R

I'm not going any farther than my horses will take me!!  In fact, we're hesitant to answer the phone this week lest we get invited somewhere.  We celebrated Thanksgiving earlier this month with my younger brother as he was leaving for a 2-year stent in Korea with the AirForce.  Now, we just want to lay low and enjoy quiet times at home.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Paschale

I'm going up the road a little over an hour to mom's place, and bringing the girlfriend home, for the first time to meet the fam.  We'll see how that goes! 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

So when ya going to introduce her to the rest of the family?? HINT HINT

We are going to Chet's for Thanksgiving. Christmas, I dunno, since I sacrificed a reindeer today I might have ta lay low.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

My Thanksgiving tradition is a little different now that both my son's are married.  The daughter-in-laws get some pressure from their Mom's to help cook dinner, so Thanksgiving Breakfast is at my house.  We'll be having my famous sausage and egg casserole along with bacon, ham, sausage, biscuits, waffles, chocolate chip pancakes, sausage gravy and grits!  Around late afternoon, Cowboy Bob and I go beggin for turkey at his brother's place!   :D
Christmas Day is open house day.  We feed about 40 people, but it's all spaced out so I've never run outta room.  Anyone that wants to can come by anytime they get the chance.  Fixin's are Baked Ham, Meatball sandwiches, potatoe salad, cole slaw, baked pineapple, baked beans, pickled eggs and biscuits.  There is always pie and cake too.  Y'all are invited!!   8)
Cowboy Bob hoards the pickled eggs....I see him sneaking them into a bowl in the back of the frigerator...making sure he get's his quota! 

Note to Jeff:  Ya never git tired of playing with the grits button, do ya?   :D :D
Say when

Modat22

I'm hoping to avoid the mother - n - law this season, thats all I want for christmas.
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

What can I say, grits are my life... ;D

breederman

It's winter time,just hunker down,breed cows put more wood on the fire and nap! ;D
  We will travel two hours for a christmas celebration with Terrys family,but mostly spend time with the girls when they are home from college.
Together we got this !

dail_h

Goin ta Baltimore for Thanksgivin to sil's gonna spend Fri. & Sat at the Smithsonian,and other turist traps in DC. Our #2 daughter aiin't never seen all that stuff.
   May drop by George W's if we have time :D :D :D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Quartlow

Nope I aint a goin no where's!!! no how no way, in fact after thanksgiving I start limiting my travels. I hate gettig caught up in the christmas traffic and all the comercialization.

The closer it gets to Christmas the closer I stay to home ;) Not that I go much of anywhere anyway.!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Dang! Sure a lot of yoopers round here :D Dis redneck stayin home, real close! 8)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Striker

Going to Lansing Michigan to spend the holiday with my wifes family.

Jeff

Jeff

Quote from: Striker on November 22, 2005, 09:23:39 PM
Going to Lansing Michigan to spend the holiday with my wifes family.

Jeff

heck thats just a spit from here.  Tammy and I are leaving at noon tomorrow for our 12 hour drive to Chet's which is about 6 hours away. It'll seem like 12 I bet or more. Its supposed to be snow the whole way but Tammy the adventurer says "were going".

Paschale

Quote from: Jeff B on November 20, 2005, 11:21:33 PM
So when ya going to introduce her to the rest of the family?? HINT HINT

Well, now...I'll have to see if she's up for meeting the rest of the family.  That's a BIG step, ain't it?  Must be serious if I introduce her to the Forestry Forum!  ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

J_T

Well I made it all the way to Texas :D Gunna go over to Mexico in a bit and see if they got any bargins  8)Nice and warm here 8)
Jim Holloway

DR Buck

I'll probably go from the sofa to the dining room table .........and back!     :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Modat22

Happy thanksgiving from Merlin and modat!

remember man that thy are dust.

etat

Well,I've never been on a airplane in my whole life but Kim and I will be leaving dec. 30 for a vist to CT for four days.  "If" I have enough nerve to actually get on the dang  airplane that is.    :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

CK you can do it  8) The wife and I did  :D Just got back from Mexico a few minitts ago  ::)
Jim Holloway

pigman

Just got back from the long drive to my daughter's for Thanksgiving. The weather was not bad and the trip went well; all eight miles of it. ;D  The kids will be coming to the farm for Christmas, no travel at all. :)

J_T, I haven't been on a plane in 35 years. I have forgot how to travel that way.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

First trip?   take a camera and get a windo seat.  You're gonna really enjoy this.    You have to be quick to see much because the fool things get up there pretty quick.  When your taking off, try to get your bearings so that you can look for something familiar, like your house.  Don't try to aim the camera just hold it to the window and point.  You'll be surprised how far back and forward the camera can see from close to the window when you can't see that far.

I favor seats in the back of the plane even if it is a little noisier there.   On top of the wing is the smoothest.  Far forward is the quietest.  

Most of the airlines don't serve food, just some little snacks and soft drinks.  The best thing to do is stop at a hamburger joint and get a couple of hamburgers and fried pies to take along in a bag.  Then get a soft drink from the steward.

I don't know why so many people try to carry their luggage aboard.  Don't do it.  Check what you can.  Take maybe one small bag with essentials that you can put in the overhead, just in case your luggage doesn't meet up with you on the other end.

The less you carry aboard, the easier it is to go through all this new security checking.  No big belt buckles.  Wear shoes that you can get off and on easily.  It takes a lot of the hassle out of it.

Make sure that you put all kinds of identification in you check-in luggage.  Stuff like address and phone numbers and contacts on both ends of the trip will come in handy if you get separated from it.

Flying is fun.   Take-off is a couple of  hundred people on a dragster.  Landing is like entering the first turn at Daytona.

You'll like it.  8) :)

Teri

You can do it CK!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Its fun!!! I've only flown a couple of times.

etat

Tom, I REALLY REALLY appreciate the advice!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much and I'm gonna print it out so I can keep it fresh in my memory.   8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Pigman weren't my idia Son got the tickets for us right now we are still in Texas will leave here on Sat  ::) Ck also nothing sharp you know roofing knifes cig lighter I wore shoes easy to get on and off also had to take off my belt .Son picked our seats where we had a good view got them on line you can also print out your boarding pass .
Jim Holloway

iain

Offical feast day in our house is Christmas eve, with any family that are about
just us four on Christmas day
inlaws boxing day (if they are about)
then north to Scotland for the drinking and rabble rousing (linda)
back to england for school and work next year

as you did'nt have this option on your list     how do i vote?

iain

Ron Wenrich

I flew cross country last month.  The first I was on a plane in about 15 years.  They did give us a box lunch on those flights.  But, it wasn't much to write home about.  Buy stuff before you get to the airport.  Sticker shock.

They seem to have the security check in down pretty well.  What was told to me that it would be an hour was never over 15 minutes.  And I went through the San Diego check in pretty DanG quick.

Some of our flying time was done at night.  You'll be amazed at how many lights there are at night.   

The only boring time you'll have is if you have cloud cover.  Take reading material. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Flying back from the pigroast this engine and my feet helped to keep the plane in the air.

Cruisilng around a towering cloud.

You'll notice that the wing is bent.  It's supposed to
do that 'cause there is a lot of weight hanging on it.
'Specially since I was on the thing.  That do-dad on
the end of the wing is supposed to disrupt the
vortexes that are created there and provide better
fuel mileage.   Kinda like that super-duper, whiz-bang,
thing-a-mu-jig advertised in the Popular Mechanic's
classified for sticking in your carburator....  only more
high tech.  They had to convince College boys.  :D

Waiting for the cart to get to me so that I could get
my coffee and soft-drink.  Usually I just get coffee but
there was this guy in front of me to the left who was
mad that he didn't get a dinner so he  ordered a
Sprite, coffee, water, orange juice and two bags of
those snacky things.  I never thoght about asking
for more than one thing, humble ya know, so I
learned something.  I order a coffee and a glass
of water to hold me until they might come back.
It only takes about two hours to fly from Saginaw, Mi.
to Jacsonville, Fl. so I didn't really need more.  The
Stewardess was real nice and brought me another
cup of coffee later and I didn't even ask for it.   :)

See that dark sky?   That's space.   Whew!

Just cruising along over some pretty clouds.

Home Sweet Home   8)

iain

Tom you seem to have kept a good eye on that  whiz-bang,
thing-a-mu-jig

iain

karl

Just go home from T-Day with my kids in Mass-achoo-zits. Wicked drive down-had snow all the way.
Finally figured out what SUV stands for- Sometimes Uncontrolled Vehicle, or Severly Underskilled and Vain operator- must have seen 60 vehicles off the road in a five hr drive and most of 'em Simply Useless Vehicles.
It is amazing to me that some people can't get a grip on the concept that there are still only four wheels steering and braking those things.
Seventy mph with 4" of snow in the SUV (passing)Lane and in white out conditions with spots of black ice to make it sporting. SUV pinball.

To borrow a quote from one of the Cheech and Chong movies- all I could think of when I finally got to my son's was" I'm so nervous you couldn't get a pin up my butt with a jackhammer".

I'd rather not have my grave stone read "Here lies Karl, killed by a Stupid Utility Vehicle driver"

Meal was great though, even went for another hour drive to see my daughter's new apt.

Nice drive home today- clear and sunny with all the "Soccer Mom's" at the malls with their SUV's getting the jump on Santa.
And all the Troopers out measuring accident sites.

I hope Christmas is either cancelled or closer to home......
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

beenthere

Now Karl, must have had a tough day.
My SUV handled the snow today quite well. Didn't see any in the ditch either, while driving in near white-out conditions. Maybe the drivers rather than the vehicles??  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I don't know if drivers have anything to do with it or not.  We don't have drivers in our SUV's down here, just white knuckles on the steering wheels.  I've studied them a lot of years and there's nobody in those cars.

I know they must be the same cars y'all deal with.   They have license plates from up there.

karl

Tom
"now that's funny, I don't care who you are"

You must see quite a few motor homes like that too- when folks get too old to drive cars up here we put 'em in 40' motor homes, hook a SUV on the back and point'em south .

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Tom

Yeah, we get used to the motor homes though.  The trick is to just slow down and let them go on about their business.  They are headed further south.  But,  if you get their attention, they pull over and set up camp.

J_T

Just got home  8) CK when you fly listen to their speach they say if you sit next to an exit door how to handel an emerghentcy that it will float and your seat too. Thuth you hit ground at 500mph it will open itself ::) They say fasten your seat belt it may be a little rough  ::) Truth if it is rough enouth to throw me out of that seat i'll be in the ail praying on me knees :'( The reason they want you belted in is that seat has a number on it and so does your tickett easer for them to get dna from stains in seat  ??? Now sit back and enjoy your flight . Almost forgot final approach means we going down bubba one way or another . They ask me how was my flight as we left and I said great i'm walking off this thing and you can't beat that  8)
Jim Holloway

etat

Gee thanks JT  for the additional information. I'm SURE that will help me be brave enough to actually climb aboard that thing.   ??? ??? ???

Truthfully, after reading your post I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

blueox

CK..get yourself some Larazapan (spelling?) This is what Grammie has in her purse, she calls it her "nerve pill". (Like on Thanksgiving when there are 'bout 10 lil' rug rats running around her house, she might take 1 or even 2)....Just becareful...I took 1 before my flight...then the flight was cancelled. (I think there was a mechanical problem, probably wiht the engine...So I went to the bar to have "A" drink....welllllll.....let me tell ya, I should have read the "warning don't mix w/ alchohol"...I had the best buzz going!!  When the plane was finally fixed and ready for me to board, I was looped! The plane could have gone down and I would not have cared!

So...get some Larazapan from your Dr...but don't drink with it!

Have fun...Laurel 8)

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

GHRoberts

My second granddaughter lives too far away.

I drove myself, my wife, a daughter, and my first granddaughter 2600 miles for a Thanksgiving visit - 2 days driving (17 hours straight through) and 4 days visiting.

On December 17 my second granddaughter is moving 20 miles. I will go back and help. I will also take her 3 tables, a big girl bed, and 6-8 dining chairs - 4 days driving and 2 days visiting.

pigman

Quote from: GHRoberts on November 29, 2005, 11:53:08 PM
My second granddaughter lives too far away.

I drove myself, my wife, a daughter, and my first granddaughter 2600 miles for a Thanksgiving visit - 2 days driving (17 hours straight through) and 4 days visiting.

I knew grandchildren were grand, but not grand enough to drive over 150 miles per hour to get there. :o  If you are in that much of a hurry next time, take a plane. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

oldsaw

Is a mile "local travel"?  :D

But then Christmas is two straight days with my in-laws.   :'(

The upside is that I have a 4 day weekend.   8)

Even though two days of it are "used up".  :-[
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Don K

I'm actually off X-mas eve and day... 8) 8)  Just looking forward to a nice quiet christmas. My daughter will be coming over x-mas day. Hope it is cold so I can burn wood and spend time with my wife( we both work long hours, and our time together is something we both look forward too)

OH! No! :o :o I just remembered all the wifes sisters are coming to the house x-mas eve. Start of a new tradition. Guess I better plan on cooking some pecan pies to keep um busy ;D ;D :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!