iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grand baby cradle, the begining

Started by drobertson, November 28, 2014, 08:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I've had these cherry boards laying for several years now,  and now it's time for a project.
I've built many of molds, dies and fixtures, but never a cradle.  I know wood, (I think I do) so this one is for my first Grand daughter,  this will be an on going thread, with the progress ongoing.   Seems like a pile of pressure with all the masters that post their crafts. 

I have them edged and ready for the planer,  these are strictly air dried, so there will be some acclamation with these boards.  I still need a good pattern to start with,,,,,,,,,,,,   I'm open to suggestions ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

David,
I have no suggestions for a pattern, but I applaud you for creating such a great keepsake.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Thanks Lynn!  I was really hoping you would see this post, I was a little bit embarrassed to ask you for the plans, but this is the one I had in mind.  Something that can be taken down, I just love it, this build we be from some cherry I sawed some time ago, narrow boards that will have to be glued together.  I've got till the end of March, so really not that long. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

There were no plans and our cradle is busy with a Great Granddaughter at the time. 

The sides are 11 inches high and the feet are three boards thick leaving a perfect mortice for the uprights which are two boards thick as is the stretcher.  (Also google "baby cradle plans" for ideas.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

this is going to be a fun project for you! congrats on the grandbaby on the way!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Started planning the cherry boards yesterday, and have a question for the wood workers,  is dried cherry normally a very hard wood to work with?  these seemed harder than the last oak we planned, ended up changing out the blades, but never got back into the boards.   thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

69bronco

Cherry is tough to work , make sure everything is sharp. Take lighter passes, It'll be worth it in the long run. Look forward to seeing yor progress.

Sawyer697

My cherry is very easy to work with, just be careful, as screws on the edge can cause spilt outs, I have a picture that I will try to up load. Should have the plans around here if I can find them. I solar kiln dry my lumber. Tried to up load a picture, but did not like the file type. You can try Chestnut Lumber in picture file? It is in the Photo Galley?  Daniel
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Sawyer697

Found the plans, Country-Style Cradle Pattern # 599 by U-Bild Enterprizes. Hope that helps!
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: drobertson on December 02, 2014, 08:49:04 AM
Started planning the cherry boards yesterday, and have a question for the wood workers,  is dried cherry normally a very hard wood to work with?  these seemed harder than the last oak we planned, ended up changing out the blades, but never got back into the boards.   thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

My Dad, when I was about fifteen, to a job to build a dining room set for one of the members of the church. The Deacon had cut down some fence-row cherries (little black cherries, in north Florida...) and had them milled into lumber. Rather than air or kiln drying the lumber, he stacked it in an unused tobacco barn and lit off the forced draft heating system. Cranked it up to 150* for a week (figured if that was long enough for tobacco it was long enough for lumber.  That was some of the hardest lumber we ever saw. We managed to build the table and started cutting chair parts. Dad finally gave up and gave them the table at no charge but canceled the rest of the job.

Jeff

The cherry we have here in Michigan is a dream. It is stable and cuts well. We don't have a lot of it, but what I have seen, it is one of the easiest woods to work with.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Cherry is one of the nicest woods to work. Unless you've got areas of wild grain it should saw, plane, carve and turn as nice as you'll ever see.  Good luck & congratulations on staying ahead of the sticker police! :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

thanks all of you, this stuff has been kinda covered, with less than adequate stickers, once again it was to be a quick turn around, so for those that sticker lightly, assuming the bundle will be gone,, might reconsider this approach.. On a positive note, the boards which have laid for well over two years air drying have only cupped around 3/64ths, they are narrow ones, the widest is 6".   But the fact remains they are hard, and dense, I will get on with the rest near the end of the week,, really looking forward to this one,, thanks again,,

drobertson

It's been a struggle with time and materials, not what I wanted but we made due with what I dried ;D  a bit of a learning curve,

Keeping things flat was an issue,  as red oaks stresses, stickers, stickers, stickers!  never been so real until now!  a planer will only do what is available,  It is together but not without struggles.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, you are coming along quite nicely. 

We got ours back this week, broke it down into it's individual pieces and stored it for next time.  It has now "cradled" 12 babies.   :)

MattJ

That's looking great.  One idea I like with cherry is to let the sun give it a patina when its done but not yet finished.  Once it's final sanded I put my cherry pieces on the porch in the sun a few days for each side.  It gives it a beautiful dark color and then I finish with shellac if its for kids.  Shellac is completely food safe and is the coating on M&Ms and pills (called confectioner's glaze or other names).  With kids a safe finish is important as they might chew it when they are teething.  Shellac is also easier to fix when they do this.  Wipe it off with denatured alcohol and refinish.

Magicman

While reading the prior posts I see that you have only 6 weeks before it is needed. :o   :D

drobertson

It seems time is always crunching, Caitlin is at 34 weeks this week, so time is of the essence, it will get done before the scheduled due date, but, who knows the timing of things?   I just wish I had planned better and stickered better,  for those that don't know, STICKIER, STICKER, STICKER, even and level.  this cherry is hard as a rock, air dried for nearly three years.  It will turn out, but not without a battle the way I figure it.  And thanks Lynn for the info on the take down cradle!   

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Well, I have it ready for final sanding, then the finish, this weather has put a damper on things as it has for so many folks,
I've learned a lot from some good folks sharing their knowledge, and need to express my gratitude for this.  What I have learned is I know beautiful craftsmanship when I see it, and now have a deeper, much deeper appreciation for the ones that do it, and share it, Thanks,, 

I have to add, I am AFRAID!  ;D  To take it apart, Really, I am thinking I will sand the pieces individually, not counting the box, seal it, and then go for the take down.  Man, wish I had done this before, 

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

My great saying,I have to do things twice,so I know how to do it the second time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!