iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

roller guides

Started by AtLast, June 12, 2003, 07:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

I just recieved a catalog from Gschwind aka Timber Wolf....in it they are showing new roller guides for the Baker mills Wood-mizer and Norwood mill...I was wondering if anyone has tried these or has any input on them. They look very impressive  :o  and show it as a  full support system, supports top bottom an back of blade, minimal push down, built in lubrication on infeed guide,  lubricates top and bottom of blade, quality rubber sealed NTN bearings, blade wiper on both guides, lower oil impreginated bronze support pads, cam operated height adjustments for bearings....anyone have experience with these? ???

biziedizie

Got a link to it?

Steve

woodmills1

today, after hitting nails I was thinking about the posts on guide blocks.  My current understaanding is, it is the blade and not the quides.  i am gonna park myself squarley in the middle of the group that says, ifin it ain't ready for the log you are a sawin it probably ain't thr guides but it sure is the blade.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

I put Brass blocks under my roller guides. If the blade tries to ride up or down, it will wear a groove in the brass and leave a slight ridge. The ridge will prevent the blade from riding back to the flange. I definitely will change to something harder, like, tool steel, carbide, ceramic, ???
  There was about .010 clearance, but, you will be amazed at how much clearance can be made with a blade that wants to wander???  Then again, wadda I know???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

cut2size

I have the timberwolf guides on my oldest woodmizer and think it is well worth the money.  The only drawback is that you have to use diesel/chainbar oil to lubricate and the urethane tires are recomended.  It will keep the blade from wandering and is easy to install.
David
cut2size

KURT_STURZ

Hi all,
I have the Timberwolf guides on my saw. They came with the saw. I haven't used anything else, but I do like them. They are easy to adjust and hold the blade very well. You are correct that it is the blade that does the work, but it sure helps to have good support. I would encourage anyone to include Timberwolf guides with thier equipment. If and when the bearings need replacement, buy the bearings directly from Suffolk Machine. I learned from experience.
Kurt
Kurt Sturzenbecker

Bibbyman

For the past couple of years the Wood-Mizer mills has came with guides with ceramic inserts in a lower support.  They are available as a retrofit kit for the older Wood-Mizer mills.  

I've not changed one from the old setup to the new.  Just got a new mill and they came with it.  It's hard to know if they work or not. I know we sawed 13,000 bf of low-grade walnut logs and 1,400 bf of hickory and had two hickory boards to throw out for misscut.  Both were my fault.  On one,  I didn't see there was some bark pulled under between the cant and the mill and I sawed one board too thin.  The other hickory board did have a dip/wave in it.  Hickory is hard on blades and I was trying to get the next log squared down before I changed.   I know I was taking a chance.

Here is the best shot I have of the Wood-Mizer guides.

While cropping this picture from a larger one,  I noted for the first time Mary sawing with her eyes closed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

kentuckyboy

As a newbie, someday I hope to be good enough to saw with my eyes closed....YOU GO GIRL!

Bibbyman

(Don't tell nobody but I suspect she was looking down through the bottom of her bifocals. )
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

AtLast

LOL!!! BIBBY...you cant say that...LOL..ok...you can...but I laughed HARD at that...maybe ya better not let her read that post. :D

Neil_B

SHE'S WORKING TOO HARD BIBBY. Gotta sqeeze in a nap when she can. ;D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Thank You Sponsors!