iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going rate

Started by Woodboogah, April 18, 2013, 09:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Wondering what the going rate for a cable skidder and operator is in the Northeast?  Finally bought a new (to me) machine and and moving in on decent piece.  Have been doing my own work with a farm tractor and winch mostly for homeowners looking to get firewood off their lot or some TSI work.   This will be my first job on my own with the machine.  Hopefully it goes smoothly!!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Ed_K

Last time I needed an extra skidder I payed $50.hr+$20.for the operator.That was in 2010-11
Ed K

xalexjx

what size machine? I have a tree farmer c5 and when I use it for the excavation business I dont get less then $85 and hour.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Woodboogah

The machine is a timberjack 240. The stumpage is paid for and will be working on a production base, not hourly for logs, firewood will be pulled out on an hourly base per landowner and have yet agreed on a price.  So I will be semi negotiating Monday for a production price.  Not really sure where to start besides high.   Thanks
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

duckslayingpro

The going rate per mbf around here varies also. Know some guys working for 55 and others getting 85. There is so Many things to consider.  I was happy with 65 to 70 depending on timber size and skid distance

cutter88

are rat goes on TBD tree but diameter we get $7 a tree for 12'' down and $10 a tree for 12' and up thats cutten and skidden hard wood with farthest skid about 3000'

also some guys are paid by the tun on the landing $14 a tun cut and skid no landing work
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

240b

Last year the log buyer told me they were payng the contract guys 130 a thousand to cut skid buck.  I really try to get 180 to 210 after stumpage and trucking.  this is in VT.

Mark K

On an average contract job for the mill I get $150 per thousand. Cut, skid, and bucked. Longer skids and tougher terrain they pay more.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

bill m

I also get $150 per thousand. More for longer skids and difficult terrain.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

coxy

Quote from: bill m on April 19, 2013, 08:04:35 PM
on what log scale?

240b

Quote from: coxy on April 19, 2013, 09:21:14 PM
Quote from: bill m on April 19, 2013, 08:04:35 PM
on what log scale?
Hwd and WP logs are sold on 1/4 Int rule. Spruce goes Maine rule. pulp and chips by the green ton. firewood by the cord(128 cuft/cord)

bill m

International 1/4 for logs. All firewood is mine to sell.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Woodhauler

I pay my guys 140 international rule.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

smwwoody

I would love to be able to get 140.  around here 125 to cut skid and haul is what most are paying
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

PAFaller

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 20, 2013, 05:45:34 PM
I pay my guys 140 international rule.
you hiring, maybe I'll head back to the northwoods! I could use a nice pine lot right about now, but trucking a 240 from PA to there might be a little spendy.
It ain't easy...

smwwoody

PA Faller,

I will pick you and your skidder up on the way through.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

PAFaller

Ya woody you are in a tough spot, the further south you go it seems the cheaper the rates get. Same goes for here in PA, its all contract work for the mills, and they set the rates. Some jobs turn out real well, others you seem to go backwards, depends on the timber, ground etc. Ive always wished the mills held all their crews to the same standards. I cut some pretty nice wood, but Im always expected to do a neat job. It certainly helps the mill buy more wood, but last time I checked pats on the back were not an accepted form of payment at the fuel station, parts store, or the bank!
It ain't easy...

PAFaller

Quote from: smwwoody on April 20, 2013, 08:27:59 PM
PA Faller,

I will pick you and your skidder up on the way through.

Id better tell my wife we are moving back to moose country, how long do we have to pack? :D
It ain't easy...

smwwoody

yea PA the last job i cut in your area was in Emporium PA.  I got $115/mb for the logs and $20/ton for the wood to cut and skid.  that was in 2000 when diesel was under a dollar / gal
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

I can be at my camp in Elk County by morning
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

we should be able to fit your 240 in the back of my log truck
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

lynde37avery

for me running my machine for someone else on there paid wood lot I would want $80 per thousand work with those #'s
Detroit WHAT?

240b

yow,  you guys better head for maine.......

PAFaller

Ya woody, and the nasty part is the rates haven't changed at all. Unless its wicked steep or long skids what you made in 2000 is still right about where Im at now. Heck, nice timber and close skids pay less than that and the diesel in my pickup is running 3.93 at the cheapest lately, I found off-road for 3.55, and I changed oil in my jack yesterday, 71.99 plus tax on a 5 gallon jug of 30 weight for the detroit. Its to the point where you have to produce, and even then at the end of the year you question whether its worth it.
It ain't easy...

Mark K

Here it would be tough to cut for any less than $125 per thousand. We are required to carry every bit of insurance possible. Have to have Comp., liability and disability. I know some mills outside NY dont require ya to carry comp. I'm a one man operation and have to have it. The mill use to carry our comp. policy's but when the economy tanked we had to get our own. Price of diesel is $4.24 as of this morning when I tanked up for tomorrow.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!