iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping wood for carving

Started by Phil, December 02, 2019, 09:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

I have a couple of 10-inch dbh birches on my property that I need to take down.  I'd like to set that wood aside for some spoon and cup carving over the next few months.  Is there a recommended way to keep that wood so that it doesn't dry and crack any more than necessary?  Should I just cut some pieces down to size and treat them with mineral oil?

Thanks.

Den-Den

I do this type of thing for woodturning.  You want to keep the wood moist to avoid cracking.  You also want to avoid/delay decay and discoloration.  If you can keep the log long length with bark on at low temperature, it will last a long time.  If you are stuck with short sections, cut them length-wise removing the pith, seal the ends with Anchorseal and keep the temperature as low as possible (no sunlight).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Gearbox

If they are paper birch you want to get the bark off right away . It will rot before it will dry with the bark on . if you are doing spoons just split it and stack to dry . Birch does not crack bad .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Phil

Thank you for this input, Den-Den and Gearbox.  It's appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!