iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moak 12" Jointer

Started by ronwood, January 17, 2007, 05:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronwood

Just traded a friend for a 12 in. Moak Jointer 3 phase 5 HP. Serial Number 9704. Been looking on the internet and have not been able to determine the age of the equipment or find a manuel for it.  Company went our of business in 1992. Will try and gets some pictures in the next day or so.

Any thoughts on the jointer and where I might find a manual. Weighs around 1800 lbs. with a 8 ft. bed.

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Larry

Have you prowled around over at:

http://www.owwm.org/

If it is an old one with a square head you really need to think about changing it out to a round head for safety reasons.

I restored and sold an old Crescent about that size...wish I had that one back.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ronwood

Larry,

I does not have a square head. The base on the one that I have is enclosed much more than the older models. Came out of a high school in St. Louis. Does not appear to have been used alot. Direct drive model with the motor connected to the head.

Ron

woodhick

Ron, there is a manual on the owwm.com site.  I have a 12" Moak also.  Great machines.  Also I don't have the number here at work with me but Moak is still in business.  There is a man who carries parts and will answer question about your machine.   I will try to find it for you.  I know there are several on the owwm.org site who can give it to you. 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

ronwood

woodhick,

Thanks for the site. I did check it out earlier. Downloaded the manual off the site but looks like it is for a much older machine. Need to look at it a bit closer to see if  the adjustments/alignment procedures are the same for mine. Most likely is

Ron

farmerdoug

Ron,
I cannot help you on the manual but the name Moak caught my eye.  I know the guys that use to own the foundry and machine shop that made them.  My dad and me even worked there a couple of summers as contractors processing cast iron scrap for their furnances.  I use to drool over their machines that were finished at lunch time.  Moak is no longer in business that I know of as they had a fight with the MDNR other their dumping of spent casting sand down an old salt mine shaft here in the 90's.  Their building is now an auto salvage yard.  I am not saying that there may be someone out there providing parts and service though.  The rights and patents may have been sold.

There bandsaws had 36 inch square tables too.  Now that was a bandsaw.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ronwood

farmerdoug,

Thanks for the update/info.

Ron

TexasTimbers

Wow never heard of a planer that small with so much power.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

farmerdoug

Kevjay,  Moak made only industrail woodworking equipment so the motors were always on the big side.

Ronwood,  If I every get a place built for my woodworking shop I want to get some of the Moak equipment also.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

ronwood

kevjay,

They had options for a 71/2 and 10 hp on the 12 in jointer. Based on the info that I downloaded from http://www.owwm.org.

farmerdoug,

I would like to get my hands on a table saw also. For now I will have to wait till I get my new shop built. I did just buy one of the Byrd Helix head for my 15 in grizzly. Don't have it installed yet.

Ron

Thank You Sponsors!