Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I'd at least paint the buckets all the same color.  :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

At least he has a pot to pith in.  but they are upside down.   :D  I think he did follow directions and get the load up off the ground.  As long as the buckets are stable on the ground, and therefore do not break, should be good.  If a side stress cracks a bucket it might fall.  We are just having a little fun, and prob. a little jealous since we never thought of it!

:o   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

goose63

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 15, 2019, 10:08:50 AM
Saturday morning on my way to CT I stopped by one of my customer's and saw his stack of quarter sawn white pine, that I showed you before.
I thought he did a good job of stacking it:

Jim Rogers
Hay I need some buckets 3 went through the snow blower last Friday :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thechknhwk

Maybe the buckets are full of concrete

DPatton

:D :D :D One of my favorite safety questions to ask on the jobsite. "Is that an OSHA rated bucket your standing on?" ;D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jim_Rogers

Friday's happy camper (not customer) was me, as my customer showed up and picked up all his trailer decking that I have been storing here for over a month.
He was/is a good customer and I didn't charge him anything for storage as he paid his bill when I asked him for the money.

Jim Rogers

PS Saturday's happy customer showed up to pick up all his Norway maple but it was pouring rain soon after he got here and I didn't get a picture of the load on his landscaping trailer.

I made him haul out the two short trunks of the tree as he didn't want to pay extra to mill the short ones. And after he saw the size of the pile of lumber he was getting he figured he didn't need them after all.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer brought me a very small diameter branch from a maple tree.
I did the best I could but only got a few 1x4's out of it.
He was happy as the last sawmill he talked to about doing it told him that they were 4 to 6 months out on orders.

Not the best stuff or the smallest that I've cut this week:

And he was so happy he gave me a good tip. Thanks Andrew.

Jim Rogers

Stephen1

This is my first Happy customer. I dried his Sugar Maple slabs in the IDRY vacuum kiln he had chainsaw milled. 4/4 amd 6/4 all dried in 9 days. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

richhiway

Nice Job! Was there much cracking or warping? 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Stephen1

Like I said a happy customer. The wood came out beautiful. Very little cracking or movement. I was quite happy to see the colour was the same going in and out. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer wasn't too happy. He wanted me to cut some 3/16" strips from a piece of air dried cherry. Then he wanted them to be 1/8" strips. I did the best I could but I didn't finish the job, as he didn't like the smoothness of the lumber from my fresh sharp blade. I suggested he take his lumber to a cabinet shop and get then to cut his strips on a table saw and not a rough cut sawmill.

He wanted to bend these strips around a form into a circle to make a tennis racket. And he didn't want to steam or wet the lumber.

Jim Rogers

hacknchop

You did your best and he should appreciate it , what is it they say about pleasing everybody ? Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the next "happy customer" . 
Often wrong never indoubt

Stephen1

I guess you can't please everyone. He was asking the wrong tool to do the job. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 30, 2019, 10:13:35 AM
Today's happy customer wasn't too happy. He wanted me to cut some 3/16" strips from a piece of air dried cherry. Then he wanted them to be 1/8" strips. 

He wanted to bend these strips around a form into a circle to make a tennis racket. And he didn't want to steam or wet the lumber.

Jim Rogers
Did he expect you to cut the 3/16 strips down to 1/8 or just change his mind on the thickness he wanted?
 Some folks would complain even if you hung them with a brand new rope. ;D

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 30, 2019, 01:10:41 PMDid he expect you to cut the 3/16 strips down to 1/8 or just change his mind on the thickness he wanted?

He changed his mind. I was prepared to cut them 3/16" as I had printed out a scale of dimensions for my mill to leave a 1 1/8" strip at the clamp on the bottom.
I had it on my scale clipboard ready when he got here.
Then after cutting a couple 3/16" thick he decided he wanted 1/8".
Then he started talking 3 millimeters. I told him my mill didn't have a millimeter scale or a 32nd scale on it.
As was said, he picked the wrong machine for the job.
Jim Rogers
PS. I gave him the phone number of the guy who runs the cabinet shop across the street for him to call him and make an appointment to have his lumber ripped on his table saw with a thin kerf blade.

Old Greenhorn

I suspect that if he doesn't steam or soak those splits before bending, whatever he makes up will not last long. The fibers need to be soft to comply and take a new set. When I did prototype machine design work I used to get similar customers. They sort of knew what they wanted, then they told us how to make it, and weren't happy with what they got, so they blamed it on us and refused to pay what was agreed. After a few of those we started to put qualifiers on the agreement before we began work. It's a tricky balance until there is some trust between the customer and the supplier/shop.
 You can't win them all, especially with one hand tied behind your back.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Planman1954

Tell him to go jump in the lake! ....along with the strips. That's what I did with some wood I wanted to bend. I let them soak overnight, and they bent the next day fairly well.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 30, 2019, 01:35:52 PMThen he started talking 3 millimeters. I told him my mill didn't have a millimeter scale or a 32nd scale on it.
:D :D

Accuset II can do millimeters.  It can also do other languages.  I was showing off once to a customer and put it into Polish.   Then it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to get back as I couldn't read anything. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

You did great for trying.  The customer was asking for cabinet work from a sawmill.  Sometimes the best way to have a happy customer is to do a Nancy Reagan.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Andries

Hey YH, for the Foreign and Glaciated on the FF . . . . .
I've heard of doing a Barbara Bush "just say NO to drugs/whatever".
What did Nancy Reagan do to handle the 'born to be unhappy' goofs in the world?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

@Andries  
Oops, you got me, I got my presidential wives messed up. :D :D :D

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 01, 2019, 07:09:01 AMSometimes the best way to have a happy customer is to do a Nancy Reagan.  Barbara Bush
Oh, the heck with it, sometimes the best way to have a happy customer is to just say "Roll Tide!"

YellowHammerisms:

RichTired

YY, you were correct.
Nancy Reagan did say it:
"She championed recreational drug prevention causes when she founded the "Just Say No" drug awareness campaign, which was considered her major initiative as First Lady as per Wikipedia.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Andries

My bad, 
That comes from texting while being navigator between Chicago and Rockford. 
We've been on the road for a month, brain fry, and mixed up the First Ladies. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

easy to confuse, both wonderful first ladies in my humble opinion.

usflag
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dana Stanley

Not sure if someone who doesn't even own a table saw can make a tennis racquet. 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Thank You Sponsors!