iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a large walnut log

Started by Wes06, April 16, 2018, 09:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: nativewolf on April 24, 2018, 07:05:08 AM

I'll give some pricing updates later next week as we start auctioning off a walnut harvest.  Always interesting and on this harvest many buyers are having to fly in to even make bids.  
I will be looking forward to that.
Please start a new thread when you do.
Wes06, Glad it's working out for you. I hope you keep this thread going with it's progress.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Wes06

I talked to a guy in highland, Illinois today who has a lacus slabber .  He said he would do it.  I'm going to catch up with him this summer an get the log cut up . Ill let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the info

Brad_bb

Nativewolf, this posters log is not round at all or a centered pith.  Is your auction going to be for veneer and high grade logs?  If so, I don't think it would be comparable, do you?  If you had some similar logs in the sale, then it would be a comparison.  The other problem is that having many logs, enough to have an auction, you're attracting multiple buyers and there will be competition.  Wes06's has a single log and would not be able to attract the same attention.  Many buyers would not travel or transport for one log.  So it's hard to make a direct comparison, do you agree?  It will give you some flavor, but I would not tell someone like Wes06 to EXPECT the same prices.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

HeyBrad, I'm curious as to why you use the Doyle scale and then multiply by 70%.  Are you just discounting for more waste in side lumber?  Doesn't the Doyle scale already figure for waste?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TKehl

8) Glad you found someone to do it!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Brad_bb

Firefighter ontheside, since that log is not round at all, I'm using the approximate largest width as the diameter (which is much bigger than what is actually there), and then figuring that the log is about 70% of the area of a circle that big.  It's a SWAG, or an estimate.  Just one way to try to get an idea.  It's really hard when the log is so far from round.  Another way might be to figure the area another way and multiply by length to get actual volume.  Then, like Doyle does, you'd have to figure part of that would be waste.  As slabs it would be less waste, but that is not how low volume is figured to value it.  It's based on the lumber you will get out of it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

I understand Brad.  I  didn't realize you were just using that method for that log.  I was assuming that was how you did all the logs you buy.  I had to something similar on a load of walnut I picked up.  A lot of it had rot and I had to discount for that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!