iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut spine shelf

Started by Downstream, September 19, 2018, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Today I was asked by a customer to make a live edge spine shelf so I headed into my cutoff piles and found some nice walnut pieces and went to work.  They are going to give it to someone for a wedding engagement present.  I finished it off with a few coats of Danish oil.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

samandothers

Really looks nice with the live edge and small amount of sap woosd!  Oil does such a good job showing off Walnut.

How did you support the shelves?

Downstream

The shelves are cantilevered out from the spine.  I use a half lap joint(believe that is right term) so that the shelf sits in a groove on the spine.  Shelf is notched also so that it is flush to back of spine.  I then use two 2in kreg screws per shelf to secure them.  This shelf is for light to medium knick knacks or other smalls out toward the edge but can handle heavier weight if toward the back.  They are very popular to show off small collectibles.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

samandothers

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!