iDRY Vacuum Kilns

# guests and # members

Started by sprucebunny, June 10, 2006, 05:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

On a different forum that I visit occasionally, the guests part is always the 'yahoo slurp spider' and the 'google spider'. Are our guests real people or those same two things ??? I notice in the last few months that guests sometimes outnumber members which wasn't always like that. I'd like to think that our great forum was more popular than ever ;D rather than creepy spiders .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Aren't spiders tied into a type of search engine? I guess other than that, I have no clue.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Yes. the spiders are search engine information gatherers.

I just looked at the other site. 9 spiders and 3 guests

Ianab

Because the forum is pretty high ranked and allways has new content it's gets spidered pretty regulary. But thats a result of a high ranking by google, so that sends a lot of new visitors this way, which is a good thing. Some just surf on through, and some decide to stay  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Most of our guests are guests and real people. Less then 3% are spyders. less then .5% are snakes. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Thanks, Jeff

Uuuh....can you do anything about the snakes ???

asy

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

JimBuis

It was not all that long ago that I was one of those "guests".  However, I quickly figured out that our site is well managed, thank you Jeff & crew, and that I ought to step in and be an active participant.

I am very thankful for our forum.  I look forward to the day that I can buy my first mill and become a financial supporter of the forum as many of you have.

I do occasionally go to other forums, but find most of them to be primarily clubs and cliques.  Besides, I have found generally that most topics can be dealt with right here.  Even those things that are not forestry or lumber related are often handled as well or better here than on some of those specialized sites.  At the other places, there are so many big egos around there is no room for intelligent discussion.

Thanks a million times over to our administrators here who have done such a great job keeping the Forestry Forum a civil place to get and give information and to feel welcome.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill