iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new engine for my lt 30

Started by millstead, September 12, 2012, 08:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstead

i just bought a new engine for my lt30 its a briggs and stratton vanguard 23hp i paid 200.00 for it. the old engine is a 14hp tecumseh the  mill only has 600 hours o it but could definatley use more power. you have to  slow down as slow as it will go in logs over 16inches . im thinking this 23hp should be enough for me saw faster. what do you guys think

Meadows Miller

Gday

I think you won't know yourself  ;) and those 23s are a bloody good motor from what I have heard and keep us posted Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

pineywoods

A word of advice from another engine swapper. Measure the height of the crankshaft stub above the mounting base. If they are the same, bolt on the new one and go. If they aren't the same, you will have to either shim up the new engine or do some major surgery on the belt guards. Do NOT leave the belt guards off. They are more than just a safety cover. Without them, you will go through drive belts like crazy..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

If the swap works right, you'll definitely notice the difference!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

I did a lot of sawing with a Norwood using a B&S Vanguard 23.  Great motor, reasonably quiet, great power, and not bad on gas.  You get it hooked up and running, you'll like it!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

millstead

Thanks pinneywood I measured the engine and the crankshaft center on the new engine is 1/4 higher than the old one

millstead

i was just checking everything out for the swap looks like it will fit without to much work i just have to locate a muffler and a fuel tank. if i mount the tank above the engine will i still need to use a fuel pump.

Slingshot

If the engine has a fuel pump on it, definitely leave it on, but if there is no
fuel pump on it you won't need one with the fuel tank mounted above the engine.
(above the carburetor)

hackberry jake

I changed my 13 out with a 20 and it works great. I was told that to get the most out of it I should speed up the band speed, but it is a very noticeable difference without speeding it up... I would still like to try upping the speed a hair to see how it would cut, but it's at the bottom of the to-do list.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Should be like hot butter now. I have a 20hp Honda on mine manual mii. It goes through anything I put on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

millstead

just ordered some of the parts im going to need for this swap like a pulley and muffler i ordered the same size pulley that was on the 14hp i had to get a new one because crankshaft where different sizes. i ordered a 4 inch pulley. im looking forward to getting a bigger engine on the mill because it was really under powered with the 14 hp

millstead

well i just finished my engine swap and while i was at it i painted the mill i used kubota orange i figured that was pretty close to the same color. it was a fairly easy to change the engine i had to make a new mounting plate change the pulley put some differnt belts on and make a new guard that covers the pulley on the engine. i sawed my first log with it yesterday i could not believe how much faster it sawed it was literaly 10 times faster and the cut was much smoother and no waves. its only nine more horsepower but what a diference it made

Thank You Sponsors!