iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stink

Started by trapper, November 17, 2023, 09:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Went out to my blind the other day to get it ready for gun season.  Think A mouse or something is rotten in it .  Opened  all the windows yesterday with a stiff wind blowing.  Didn't help.  Any idea to help me? 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

Besides finding and disposing of the dead creature, try scent killer spray we use on hunting clothes.  

I once put used carpet a buddy gave me in a box blind.  Once it got a little damp it smelled like cat waste.   

I used acorn scent killer spray on it.  It helped a lot. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

beenthere

After a short time, your nose will get used to it.
And likely the smell will cover up your own smell so the deer are not sensing you. Is a hard smell to get used to, I agree. 

People who have a houseful of cats get used to that persistent cat smell, but when others come into their house then that smell can be pretty penetrating to the nose. 

Good luck hunting tomorrow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KEC

Keep looking for the source and a wet carpet would be suspect, too. Not to get too sidetracked here but I have to tell a couple stories. When I did wildlife control, I got a call about a dead mouse in a large office with LOTS of desk stations and cubicles. Walked around and around until I fiqured out the hotspot; a big clue was one desk where a worker had 12 car air fresheners hung. Mouse was behind the desk. Another time, it was at a car dealership break room to find a "dead animal". I looked and looked and was nearly ready to give up, then sensed that the epicenter of odor was a vending machine. When I said I didn't think it was a dead animal, a guy there said "I know a dead rat when I smell one!"  On top of the vending machine was a plastic bottle that chocolate milk came in, which was laying on its' side with a telltale stain next to it. As it warmed and cooled a little liquid would seep out, then dry up causing the smell to come and go. Took that bottle out away from the building, held it out at arms length downwind and nearly gagged when I opened it and dumped it out. If you don't find it, being a trapper I expect you have a level of stink tolerance. :D

Ron Scott

A good cover scent. ;) The Dead Earth cover scent may also help. 
~Ron

Magicman

I am trying to figure out why you can't find a dead mouse in a deer stand/blind and remove it ??  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

So, we have a two story house with a 10:12 roof pitch. That makes the second floor a bit smaller and a lot of attic space. The roof rats get in from who knows where. About twice a year, when I forget to keep the poison supply up, we get to hear in the evening some munching.

Anyhow, the usually eat some bait and head outside to die. Occasionally, the die in the attic space somewhere and the odor can get strong! In the summer, they usually dry up pretty quickly. One time, it must have been perfect conditions. I have a whole house fan we use a lot in the summer.

Some flies had a feast in the attic and hatched out some monster flies. When I flipped on the attic fan, it pulled a whack of flies down through the can lights into the great room area. The dogs were going nuts chasing them around. 

Took a while with my Bug-A-Salt shotgun, but we got 'em!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

trapper

Better today after airing all day yeaterday..  Could have been wet carpet also.  Will take scent killer with me in the morning.  Plan to be in the blind by 4 am and take a nap while things settle down.  Stand is at the edge of a field.  I park the atv  behind the blind, 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!