iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detector & Logging

Started by Bruce Henion, August 15, 2001, 08:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Henion

::)In the northwest loggers and operators of saws in mills may find it necessary to inspect trees before there cut down.  Radical groups have vowed to put nails in trees.  

In you drive a 20 peny nail in a tree and cut the head off and then use a punch to hammer it into the tree, how many years would it take for bark or tree moss to grown over the site?

Of course now days in the northwest the tree will more then likely burn before it is cut.

I say stiff penalities to any group or individual that puts nails in trees.

In the mean time, my recommendation is:

Buy a metal detector and encourage saw mills to provide metal detectors to their operators.

I wonder what tool you would use to extract a 20 penny nail several inches in a tree?

Tom

A spike inserted as you describe would not be found visibly.  In a year it would be grown over on a softwood and the bark disturbance and perhaps alittle sap would be the only thing left on a hardwood.

A metal detector used before the tree was downed would be the most efficient way to check and many could be saved by "jump cutting".

These Wackos should be jailed with malicious vandalism charges at the very least,  Attempted murder on some whose trees made it to the mill.

These EcoTerrorists are the prime example of "two wrongs don't make a right" even if harvesting the tree were a wrong.

If what they do is accepted unpunished then it should also be accepted for a logger to spike a terrorists tires in his driveway to keep him off of the roads and out of the forest.

Bruce

150% correct.  It really makes me mad.  Since we can't seem to convience eco extremist that proper forest management may require old growth timber to be cut or the underbrush removed, maybe we can take a picture of the tree their protecting today and maybe tomorrow it will be among trees that will burn.

Here in Oregon several mills and lumber yards have been burned by these eco extremist.  Do these people live in a cave?  

Do they not use anything made from wood?  

Do they use toilet paper, writing paper or burn wood to keep warm in the mountains when its cold while their camping?

One day there will be a price these wako's will pay and maybe our friend the bear will inlighten them for us.
Bruce

Jeff

Metal detectors will work, but not on the new stuff these people are putting in the logs.  Ceramic spikes. I have hit old ceramic insulators in trees, and I would much rather hit a railroad spike.

I read an article a while back on ceramic spiking. In one case, the group that did it, then posted the area telling of thier deed, but another group then removed the signs. They claim they are not out to hurt anyone.  I think the ceramic spikes prove that they could care less what happens tp the sawyer, mill workers, and thier families.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

A very good educational piece for people who want to protect trees is to look at the hordes of offspring these same trees put out. They know of their eventual demise, and they sow seed with a very free hand. I have an old maple tree (female) in my front yard. She is getting thin in her old age, twisted and craggy and very much loved. And her babies are all over. Little hardrock maple seedlings that I wish I had the virtue to honor her by taking them out and planting them around. I have started offering them to people.
   If these activists love trees enough to get to know them and study them, they will see that this tree strategy is a more effective defence than anything the humans have come up with. The parent tree will die- but how will you get all those babies? She'll be laughing in the wind for years watching her grandchildren grow.  :D :D :D :D :D   LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

timberbeast

Machinists have been using ceramic inserts to turn heat-treated steel for a few years now,  so thy must play holy heck with a sawblade!!!  I'd call it attempted murder!
Where the heck is my axe???

ke

I have a demo handheld rens P-4000 comming Tuesday, anybody using this model?

Tom

No, I've never  heard of that one.

I got my metal detector years ago as an upgrade to my hobby of stomping around old homesites for stuff the settlers lost.  It is  a Garrett and in need of a factory tightening up after almost 20 years.  

It works pretty good on logs and has saved me quite a few blades.  It goes where I go and makes lunch breaks enjoyable when I am sawing around these old defunct settlements.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

Thank You Sponsors!