iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood prices

Started by Mike_M, November 05, 2007, 07:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

I while back I read a thread about people posting wood prices in different regions on the forum. Has this been posted yet and if it has how might I access it?

Thanks
          Mike M.

Tom

Yes, there was some talk about it, but I don't think it was ever formalized.  It is such a dynamic thing, what with the different species, different economy's, different uses and marketing that it will probably need a very dedicated group to try to keep it current.

You can subscribe to fairly expensive documents  and gather this information on quarterly boundries, but, my experience is that only the large companies can afford them.

Daren

Quote from: Tom on November 05, 2007, 08:20:04 PM
It is such a dynamic thing

You can subscribe to fairly expensive documents  and gather this information on quarterly boundries, but, my experience is that only the large companies can afford them.

Or just hope your customers do not subscribe to these publications, are motivated buyers and be a dynamic salesman...and throw all numbers out the window. I have made it not a habit to price my lumber based on what others sell theirs for, it's mine not theirs. A baseline is a helpful thing, don't mistake that. When I had my own plumbing shop I made sure I was not the "cheapest around" that speaks poorly of your quality to people who have $ to spend (the rest, who cares ?) I carried that into the wood world. I have read what lumber is selling for in others markets and it scared me to death  :o.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

woodmills1

the hardwood market report costs some but is invaluable at establishing a fair price.

It lists the wholesale traincar load prices on a weekly basis so I use it to establish my wholesale or retail prices.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Mike_M

I got a copy of the Hardwood Market Report, but it did not list many of the West Coast species. I'm looking for prices on Alder, Big Leaf Maple, and Chinquapin.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!