iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vietnam POWs

Started by submarinesailor, March 08, 2014, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

In May of 1973, I was a young man submerged underwater making my second patrol on the USS Woodrow Wilson. Because we were underway submerged, we got very little news and I did not know that this dinner had occurred:  http://www.youtube.com/embed/LemllfcAY8A.  To this day, a lot of people do not like President Nixon because of Watergate and other things.  But, this is one thing he truly got right.  I think you will enjoy this video.

This patrol was one of my harder ones.  We were supposed to be on petrol for only 45 days, but because of other things happening around the world and one of the older boats breaking down, we were extended out to 84 days.  Man did the food get bad towards the end.  But what we went through on this very tough patrol is less than one millionth of what they went through.  My hat is still off to them even after all these years.

And just like the Greatest Generation, WW2 vets, these POWs are truly special.  To come through what was done to them for that long of time.  They really are something special and deserve our and the nations respect.

Bruce

hardtailjohn

Amen, Bruce! Thank you for sharing! (and thank you for your service!!)
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

ellmoe

As a US Navy pilots son in the Vietnam era, this hits close to home. Some of these gentlemen were friends of my father, and the ones that survived were forever affected.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

jdtuttle

Thanks Bruce, I lost my Brother in Vietnam in 1967. These Gentleman are all an inspiration to America.
Have a great day

stumpy

I have a practice of going up to any veteran I see and thanking them for their service. When not in uniform, you can usually tell by a hat or t shirt.  I was at the store one day and saw a guy with a Vietnam Veterans hat on. I went up and thanked him. He had a look of shock on his face and then said, "Since I came home from Nam, this is the first time someone ever said Thank You" I think That's a dirty shame.
Thank You for your service Bruce!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

goose63

Thanks Bruce I came home from viet nam after 19 months and only 3 times has some one told me thank you the one I will never for get I was in a motor cycle club vnv mc a good looking blond came up put her arms around my neck gave me a big kiss and thank you boy did my ex blow up but thy soon became good friends
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

rhino135

Very special people then and now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandhills

Not exactly in person goose, but please allow me to be the fourth person to thank you for your service.  Thank You, and that also goes out to each and every man or woman who is or has served.  Thanks for your service Bruce, and for sharing that, we lost a very good friend to cancer that was a Vietnam vet and he opened up to me one time only about it, we that weren't there can't even imagine what you folks went through.

scsmith42

That's a great video Bruce - thanks for sharing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pine

Billbob

Though Canada did not participate in the Vietnam war 30,000 Canadians enlisted in the American military and did fight in Vietnam.  There were 110 Canadians KIA and 7 are still MIA.  The Vietnam veterans in Canada are still fighting with the Royal Canadian Legion to recognize them as veterans.  I worked with a Vietnam vet for 20 years. There is one gentleman who shows up every year at the Remembrance Day ceremonies in his US Army dress uniform.  He stands off by himself and you can tell that the day is a very personal thing for him.  I believe they should be recognized by the RC Legion as veterans.  They fought for and supported our closest ally, for pete's sake!  I'll stop here before I get ranting on politicians.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Chuck White

Great video!

I remember watching the news when the POW's arrived HOME!

I had served 4 years in the Air Force and gotten out in April 1972 and then reenlisted in April 1973 and went back into the Air Force for another 16 years to complete my 20 year career, Retiring in April 1989.

Thanks for posting the video!

God bless America!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OntarioAl

Folks
Thanks to all Americans who serve to protect all of North America.
a grateful Canuck
Billbob x1
Al
Al Raman

gspren

As a Viet Nam Vet I'm glad that now people welcome our service members home. When my ship pulled into Brisbane, Australia we were given a parade and treated like heroes but when we got back to the states nothing. We even wanted to travel in civilian clothes so we wouldn't get cussed at. I don't want to sound bitter because I'm not, I'm happy that the American public is now getting it right.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pigman

Quote from: Billbob on March 09, 2014, 05:29:33 PM
Though Canada did not participate in the Vietnam war 30,000 Canadians enlisted in the American military and did fight in Vietnam. 
My squad leader in RVN was from Canada.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

JohnG28

Thank you to all who have served our country.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

drobertson

Another special thanks to all the Veterans for your service to our country.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Thank You Bruce for that GREAT video. True hero's.
And Thank You for your service.

I saw something related to the VN era today. I walked into the living room today and my wife was watching a show with Jane Fonda as a guest. She was talking about the tough childhood she had and all the charitable work she does now. I told my wife she would be more interesting if she talked about how she was one of the most hated women in the U.S. for a time.

I have an Uncle who flew med-evac helicopters in VN. He will not talk about his time there, but to this day, one mention of Jane Fonda will have him spitting fire!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

Quote from: WmFritz on March 10, 2014, 11:50:50 PM
Thank You Bruce for that GREAT video. True hero's.
And Thank You for your service.

I saw something related to the VN era today. I walked into the living room today and my wife was watching a show with Jane Fonda as a guest. She was talking about the tough childhood she had and all the charitable work she does now. I told my wife she would be more interesting if she talked about how she was one of the most hated women in the U.S. for a time.

I have an Uncle who flew med-evac helicopters in VN. He will not talk about his time there, but to this day, one mention of Jane Fonda will have him spitting fire!

Still is, as far as I'm concerned!

Some of us Vets don't forget!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bricklayer51

When you go to the V F W in town here you will see her face everytime you use the urinal.

Jeff

Please don't make me move this to the restricted board. If the conversation moves from appreciation for our vets to politics, I will have no choice but to do so.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

davidlarson

I was drafted into the army 1961-1963 and was therefore not at risk to be drafted to serve in Viet Nam in the later '60s and early '70s.  However I was among those who thought the war was a bad idea, and participated in some of the protests against the war.  Later on, I realized that whatever I thought about the right or wrong of the war, the young men and women who served at the time were not responsible for the decisions of the government, and should be praised for their service and sacrifice, and for answering their country's call.  I felt bad enough about my part in dishonoring them that at age 46 I rejoined the army as a medical officer in the army reserve, with the idea that whatever good or bad decisions the government made at any particular time, young people serving in the military deserved the best medical care, and that I should do my part to help provide it for them.  In 1990-1991 I was called back, to serve in Operation Desert Storm, as a medical officer in an evacuation hospital in the desert.  My service was shorter, and less dangerous, than for many who went to Viet Nam, but perhaps I made up in some way for my misguided attitude and behavior toward those who served in Viet Nam.
I'll probably get some negative feedback for these remarks, but they reflect what I believed and why I did what I did.
David L.

JoeB

Sorry, got something in my eye....

Chuck White

David; Not to worry!

After a while you realized that it wasn't the service men/women that started the VN war, they were only following orders!

I served in S.E.A. from April '69 - April '70, continued serving and retired in 1989.

5quarter

A special thanks to you David. That kind of service comes straight from the heart.  8) 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!