iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

separating gearmatic c 713 a winch from its adaptor

Started by Northwoodsguide, July 14, 2022, 01:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northwoodsguide

I use a JD 4020 with a tow behind arch to pull out firewood and about 5000 bd/ft of saw logs a year.  My crawler has a gearmatic winch on it that I have never used.  When I bought it years ago, I knew the winch was not working but I have an old chain saw winch that got me by.  I decided to finally rebuild the gearmatic but cannot get it separated from its adaptor plate.  It looked like you simply had to remove 6 bolts, two hydraulic lines and pull/bull it out.  I can get it to crack open and start to slide away from its adaptor but it sticks after a 1/4" of travel and I can not get it to part.  I am worried about beating it too hard.  I am using steel wedges (cold chisels) to wedge it apart but am not getting far  and worried about cracking something.  It is being held in place in some fashion by the shaft that connects adaptor assembly to winch. Has anyone every done this before or do you have any good ideas on how I should proceed with this?  

The winch has the number "c 713 a" cast on its covers but it greatly resembles the online diagrams of a model 19.   

Northwoodsguide

Small brain hiccup in my last post.  My crawler is a 420, not a  40 20.  

bushmechanic

I don't believe that it's a 119 on that size of tractor. More like a number 9 or even an 8A. Pic's of what your at would help us to see what your at and help you out. 

Northwoodsguide

<br

Went out to look the winch over (again) and found the manufacture't tag tucked away under the seat.  It is an 8a gearmatic winch. You can see the gap I created by tapping a cold chisel wedge into the seam between the adaptor and the winch.  The seam will open up but goes no further then what you can see and then hangs up.  I am a little leery of driving the wedges any deeper for fear of cracking something.  Two inches in from the point where the cold chisel touches the winch is where the shaft from the adaptor attaches to the winch. I gotta believe that there is some sort of burr or rust that is preventing the two from separating but I don't know that for sure and worry that there is another connection that I just don't see.  

OntarioAl

you may have to remove the adaptor with the winch 
May have a snap ring holding Power shaft in place
Hope this helps
Cheers 
Al
Al Raman

rusticretreater

Push it back together, push it apart.  Wiggle at the top, wiggle at the bottom.  Keep working it until it separates.  In the picture it looks like the gap is larger at the top than the bottom so the weight is pulling down on things creating heavy friction. Maybe a little lift will help too.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

230Dforme

Good evening 
I have no experience with this machine 
or winch, but I think Rustic is probably 
correct. Weight of winch is probably hanging on the shaft etc. Need to get the winch up a bit to get to to just the right free point. A chain fall hoist is much better than a come along because
it is infinitely adjustable and not relying
on the next click. A floor jack is also a
possibly, but better to hang it if you can.
Either way stand back in case it flops.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Northwoodsguide

Thank you for the welcome theCfarm. I am up in Skowhegan.  

The neighbor has a better front end loader then mine and he is coming down this week to pick up some of the weight of the winch and see if I can pull it out.  Will get back to you all after I give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

Thank You Sponsors!