iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First For Me

Started by Autocar, August 23, 2013, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

In July a fellow called me about timber that was storm damaged and when I looked at it it was like a bomb went off it was near impossible to get though. I told him that I wouldn't take the time to scale all the damaged trees because it was such a mess and would be to time comsuming. This past week I started cutting the trails open first, and just grabbing trees with the grapple and taking them out into pasture feild. Most of it was white oak that ran between four to six hundred feet some was super nice and others so so. I also cut all the ash plus some large red oak and hickory. I scaled it up this morning and drove up the lane to the house and told him what I came up with a price , then he asked me if I had any of the trails open. Yes all of them I said then he says to me You Just Take The Trees Iam tickled to have the trails all cleaned up. I told him that it was great he would do that but the logs were worth what I offered and wrote him a check. Maybe I should of shock his hand and took the logs for free but felt better to pay what they were worth. Always felt you be fair and good things seem to happen  ;)
Bill

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't have taken them either.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mills

A clear conscience can be expensive, but so cheap compared to a good nights sleep.

Loggers in general seem to have a low reputation with the general public. Thank you, I think you just took us up a notch or two.  8)

m wood

I dont know the scale of the job or what the arrangement was for the clean-up cost...but on a smaller scale like I could handle, I probably would have taken them. I'm just saying
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Ianab

Quote from: m wood on August 24, 2013, 05:11:50 AM
I dont know the scale of the job or what the arrangement was for the clean-up cost...but on a smaller scale like I could handle, I probably would have taken them. I'm just saying
mark

Sometimes doing salvage / clean up work the cost of recovering the logs might be equal to their value (or even less). As long as you are up front about that before you start, then it's all good.

I wouldn't even fault a guy for taking the landowners offer. He offered it fair and square.

But paying as agreed was good Karma. Hopefully you get some more work from this guys friends and neighbours. I'm sure he will give you a good reference as an honest dealer if anyone asks him, and word of mouth can be the best advertising. As long as it's positive

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

m wood

true enough, good karma is is important in life, dealing fairly and honoring up-front agreements is also very important to "getting along" in life.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

g_man

In my mind being up front and fair is the best impression a logger can make on a land owner. There are not enough people who think like you.

Ed_K

I thank you  ;).I feel you up us a notch also  8).
Ed K

cutter88

u did the right thing... :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!