iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most unique foreign object.

Started by Clevelander, February 05, 2016, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenchaser

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 15, 2016, 12:09:00 PM
they must have entered the tree and then turned 90 degrees before stopping. 
Years ago, I put up a large piece of heavy paper/cardboard as a target for some pistol practice. I shot a few rounds from my .357 and .380 auto. No surprises good or bad. I decided to check out one of my Dad's .25 auto...
BIG surprise! Even at close range, there was no grouping. The biggest surprise, however, was that instead of a nice clean hole - the .25s gave me their "side profile". :o

Your find being in an 8" group is a good indication as to something besides a .25 auto.  :D

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Clevelander

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 15, 2016, 12:09:00 PM
I wish I had a picture, but one of the neatest things I sawed into was a "target practice tree".  In one pass (maybe the second pass)  I cut 7 or 8 bullets almost exactly in two, long-ways. 

They were all the same caliber and all the same bullet.  They all entered the tree in a 8 inch group and traveled the exact same distance into the tree and turned up. Each bullet was facing toward the top of the tree.  So they must have entered the tree and then turned 90 degrees before stopping. 

I could not have cut all these bullets in half like that if I had tried, especially on the same pass.  The consistency in bullet orientation and depth was the most amazing part of it.

Now that's a piece  I would have had to have kept for myself. Sounds like a work of art.
Live your truth and your truth will find you

outpost22

Since I'm new at this, I don't have many stories about milling. However, I did find this yesterday in some cedar I was sawing. It showed up at the edge of 2 planks.  Unfortunately my buddy moved it from it's original location before I could get a picture of it as found. It is part of a copper ring.  The metal detector didn't catch it.

Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

kelLOGg

Can anyone identify this? It's a brass cup with a lead mushroom hat - best I can come up with. About 1/2" across. The 2 opposing boards are shown and the object which I cut in half. It was about 14' up in the oak and fairly near the surface.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don_Papenburg

I would go out on a limb also and suggest that it might just be a bullet
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

kelLOGg

Why the brass part? the target? part of the shell casing? it is from a city tree.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

isawlogs

Modern hunting bullet.  Been there sawed a few of those.  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I have sawed several and from different angles.  I always show them to the customer so that he can make something special with the board showing the severed jacketed bullet.

City tree, well folks also shoot in town and sometimes miss and hit a tree.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Yup, just a jacketed bullet. I hit hundreds of them. Some times dozens in a single "target" tree.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moodnacreek

When I first started I hit a steel wedge with a solid tooth circle saw; a ring of fire and 3/8" off every tooth. I retoothed it and soon after bought my first insert tooth saw. Another time I sawed a truck load of hemlock full of bullets all lead/copper, just kept sawing. I am just north of west point military reservation and the old timers spoke of hard bullets in the trees from there.

Magicman

I sawed one ERC log that had this:

Steel shotgun shot.  Talk about ruining a blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ToddsPoint

I made a trip to Fajen Gunstock Co. in MO back in the 80's.  During the tour they showed me an iron they hit in a walnut crotch.  It was the old kind of iron for ironing clothes that was not electric.  It was heated up and used then put "somewhere" to cool.  The "somewhere" must have been the walnut crotch after it was used the last time.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

kelLOGg

Well, there is certainly a consensus. Is there ammo that is brass-clad?  Why is there an apparent void between the lead and the cladding? I would expect them to be smashed together after hitting an oak. I will count the rings and tell the customer when someone shot his tree. ;)

ToddsPoint, How long does it take a walnut to grow around an iron?? I guess that is a question for a forester. ;D

WDH

Well, sorry to have to be so technical on this answer, but how long does it take for a walnut tree to grow around an iron?  It takes a spell  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 28, 2018, 06:33:59 AM
Well, there is certainly a consensus. Is there ammo that is brass-clad?  Why is there an apparent void between the lead and the cladding? I would expect them to be smashed together after hitting an oak. I will count the rings and tell the customer when someone shot his tree. ;)

ToddsPoint, How long does it take a walnut to grow around an iron?? I guess that is a question for a forester. ;D

Brass is a metallic alloy that is made of copper and zinc.
There is a bullet in the tip of this wood. So I made this

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

QuoteWhy is there an apparent void between the lead and the cladding? I would expect them to be smashed together after hitting an oak.
Much can happen when a bullet strikes an object, especially something as solid as a tree.  By design the jacket peels back forming a mushroom and since the lead core has the bullet's weight, inertia causes it to keep moving forward.  Bullets sometime separate and loose their lead cores inside of an animal.

kelLOGg

scully

I have sawed into a bunch of bullets ,I never thought it would be so common .  The weirdest thing was a huge red oak log that had lightning protection in it . I hit copper cable and copper hardware . Plus some steel spikes . I hated that log .
I bleed orange  .

Beavertooth

I sawed into a rock about 4 inches inside a tree that had gotten set on a limb and then tree grew around it. The guy I bought my first mill from told me he sawed into a flintlock pistol in a tree in Vicksburg Ms.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

DanMc

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 27, 2018, 07:49:05 PM
Can anyone identify this? It's a brass cup with a lead mushroom hat - best I can come up with. About 1/2" across. The 2 opposing boards are shown and the object which I cut in half. It was about 14' up in the oak and fairly near the surface.

I think that's a brass-jacketed hollow-point round.  You can see how the hollow-point leaded end is mushroomed out.  The staining in the wood shows the entrypoint is behind the brass jacket.  Pretty neat find. 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

caveman

I don't know how unique this is but this old livestock panel from my deceased neighbor's old cow pens has become part of this live oak tree. 

Caveman

kelLOGg

The neighborhood where the tree grew and when the bullet hit it (about 10 to 15 years ago) was a rough area with gangs. It is now being "gentrified" according to my customer/friend. He is interested in the bullet halves for documenting the history. He told me of a house that was the "arsenal" not too far from his. I gave him one half bullet and will give him the other half when the board it is in dries. He will do something interesting with it.
Bob

Jeff

Be aware that the bullet may, and probaly will, loosen or fall out as the wood dries.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!