iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New processor

Started by OH logger, May 17, 2020, 04:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

Well I've finally decided on a aprocessor. I was torn between a bells and blockbuster. Yesterday we looked at a blockbuster 22-22 and a bells 4000 bar saw and a bells 4000 circle saw. I want a bar saw cause circles just scare me. My son will be runnin it a fair amount I imagine and he's only 11 now. They scare me even if I'm runnin em. I know most don't agree but that's just me. After our day yesterday I'm set on a blockbuster. I'm not sure if it's quite as productive as a bells but blockbuster seems way more durable. I like the auto chain tension among other features too

Now what I'm torn between is an off set processor or a direct drop. The bells were direct drop and there seems to be less chunks get cockeyed in the splitting chamber than offset. Blockbuster will build either one but the salesman said he's worked there for 2 years and never sold a direct drop. If it's a direct drop I want a slide table to support the piece for the last cut. The one option they don't advertise I need is where the tray can flip either way to either put the cut off in the chamber or kick it off the machine if it's gott a huge knot on it cause I'll mostly be runnin a 12 way wedge on it. They say that's no problem to build. Not sure if it's possible with a direct drop though.  I think when I split for long boilerwood a direct drop would work better so I can cut a long chunk. On an offset one if it don't roll down the ramp perfect it won't wanna slip between the wedge and ram. I'd have to cut em shorter than I want to for boiler wood. Also I'll have to ask him tomorow if a direct drop can have as long of a live deck due to everything on the machine being slid over that way. The guy with the blockbuster likes the offset. He had to rearrange more pieces but it is real easy to reach the chamber. I'm tall and I can even do it sitting in the seat. WhAt you all think direct drop or offset?
john

barbender

I've been spending a bit of time in a Bell 6000 with a circle saw. That saw definitely outcuts a barsaw- probably twice as fast. But I'm like you, I don't think it's worth it for the tradeoff in safety. Not in my situation anyhow. There's several things in play that form my opinion. This machine has a cab on it, and it makes it an absolute pain when a block falls sideways. You have to open the window, reach out with a hookeroon (don't forget about that blade!!) and wrestle the block straight. Big blocks, you end having to shut the machine down (to stop the blade) so you can get at it from the outside. Really, it's more of an enclosed cab problem I guess. Also, all of the mass of that blade and the swingarm jostles you around pretty good. This is a pretty early model I think, they have refinements now that would help. One is powered rollers in the splitting chamber that flip the block around. I wouldn't have a cab without those. It's a heck of a machine, an absolute beast! But for me, I need something I can more easily reach in to toss out junk pieces, and be able to handle short lengths. It's just too much machine for my little scrap powered operation😊
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

OH Logger. Glad to here you are getting a processor. I don't know the conditions of the wood you saw but I get around a fair amount of dirty wood with my homemade processor and I really get tired of sharping chains. I wish I would have built mine with a circle saw. I may try some carbide chain and see how it stands up. 

jmur1

Hi OH logger:

Ive got to agree with your sentiments.  I built mine with the knowledge that chainsaws are maintenance prone and costly (with oil and sharpening) and also produce alot of sawdust.  They do seem somewhat safer than the big blades that never stop until the machine is turned off.  My machine is great for smaller logs (it is a Ø 26 3/4"  blade) but it does take some time on the bigger ones over Ø 15".  I built a automatic brake into mine because no matter what ever video online shows - the block do not always fall straight in, and also knots make the repositioning of your cut necessary if you want your splitter wedges to last!

if your curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LleSPY7bVg&t=337s

I have to admit the chainsaw seems much simpler - maybe my next one will have that...

Easy does it

OH logger

I went against u all and bought a blockbuster chainsaw model (22-22)   I just could never get comfortable with a circle saw with my kids runnin around the log yard. I try to keep my logs as clean as possible. The one clearing company I buy from recently bought a forwarder also so the logs I get from them are real clean. On logs smaller than 10" there is not much difference in cut times in my opinion. I sell logs bigger than 18" for pallet logs anyways and that's the size a circle saw shines. I store the logs on runners too so they aren't layin in the dirt. They guy that has been processing my wood has gone a full day (about 30 cord) without changing chains. Most days he uses a chain in the am then changes again at noon. We usually process with 2 guys. When I'm loading him I sharpen a chains in between loadin the deck. We aren't AT ALL in sawmill country either and I wouldn't have any clue where to go to get it hammered when it needs done. The reason for my original post though wasn't about a circle vs chainsaw it was about direct drop vs offset. Well in the end I called blockbuster and they couldn't integrate the kickout tray on a direct drop. Do that made my desision easy. Offset it is 😆. I like the IDEA of a kickout tray cause my son is a few years away from learning how to run a saw to cut out any big ole knots so they don't get jammed in the 12 way wedge we'll b using a decent bit of the time. He's gonna process some by himself after school when I'm in the woods. Other times I'll run the processor and he'll load me when he's not in school and I'm not in the woodS. Either way he should be the trimmer and he's too young for that still so that's the point of the kickout tray. I just hope the kickout works as good as it is in my head 😊. He and I went out to blockbuster in Iowa Tuesday to completely spec out and order it. I'm glad we did so we didn't miss as much lol  What a great company. Very accommodating. Very willing to customize to meet our needs. I'm very content in my decision. Well so far lol
john

barbender

I agree, I don't think that circle saw gains you anything in smaller wood. 10"+ absolutely it does, I've actually been sorting my smaller wood out to save for a smaller barsaw processor I rent- it seems like a bit if a waste if time on the Bell's. You have to wait on that big swing arm to cycle all the way down, and back up, with the circle saw. I'm sure you could make some modifications so the saw didn't have to go all the way "home" before the clamp opens up, that would speed things up on small wood about 3X. I'll try to post some videos of what I'm talking about.

Corley5

Block Buster thumbs-up smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_thumbsup
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OH logger

I know just what U mean barbender about the saw goin all the way up and goin slower down. The bells barsaw we looked at went down real fast until it hit the wood. Faster down than the circle saw. And the circle saw STILL shook the whole machine. Seems like a ton of stress on the welds and bearings
john

barbender

Yeah when I'm getting the hang if that machine and have it going at full capacity, that circle saw is jostling you in the cab pretty good. Almost feels like I'm out running forwarder!

hedgerow

OH logger glad to here you have your processor on order. I think you like the offset drop better I know if I was building mine again I would do the offset drop my direct drop has it moments. In my little operation anything 10 inches or smaller gets ran threw my buzz saw kind of processor as it doesn't have a splitter on it just the circle saw. I don't split 10 inch or smaller hedge but I am only doing it for myself for my Garn. I hope you like the bar saw I just get tired of oily saw dust all over ever thing. Seems like blockbuster builds a solid machine.

jmur1

Great work on all you guys to have a good fact finding mission on what suits you best.  

I also agree with the idea to look at quick little tweaks to save a bit of time on every cycle.  I was running mine this year when I noticed I could easily forward the conveyor as I was splitting the cut below (just needed to release the clamp first) .  It wasn't possible with my previous smaller engine but did work with the bigger one.  It easily speeds things up by 4-5 seconds per cycle.  Adds up a lot over a logs length!

Good luck with the new machine!   
Easy does it

NWP

You'll like it.  Mine has 7,000 hours on it and still going strong.  If you have any questions, you've got my number.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OH logger

They tell me the processors comin this week!! I'll keep updates and comments comin
john

moodnacreek

I always thought Blockbuster was a good outfit especially when compared to some other processer builders. The circle 'chop saw' has flywheel effect and that has alot to do with it's speed. The shape and size of the wood you are getting means everything. If you can't hold your wood still the circle will rub and heat fast. At the shows they go like H and then shut if down before the circle saw goes berserk. At least a chainsaw will not really heat and ruin the tension in the saw. I would like to see a 3/4" pitch chain saw on a processer.

Erichmatt

Quote from: hedgerow on May 19, 2020, 09:54:40 AM
OH Logger. Glad to here you are getting a processor. I don't know the conditions of the wood you saw but I get around a fair amount of dirty wood with my homemade processor and I really get tired of sharping chains. I wish I would have built mine with a circle saw. I may try some carbide chain and see how it stands up.
My dad and I run a multitek with a bar and it does surprisingly well with dirty wood. It uses 11BC 3/4 pitch chain and it holds up way better than a normal chainsaw chain would.  The chain is harder and it taking a deeper cut each time around so each tooth gets less mileage in the wood.

moodnacreek

Erichmat, thanks for the post.

OH logger

I got the machine a week or 2 late but happy with it. Had a flow control valve leak which I tried to put new o rings in it. Still leaked so blockbuster sent me a new valve body and o rings for it when I need em (under warranty). The auto tension springs Are too light so it wants to throw the chain off which burrs it up if the Chain skiffs the log in the way up. So they sent me a restrictir fitting for the hyd line goin to the saw to keep the chain tighter for longer as it goes up. Works good now. But I needed to use it when I finally got the processor and threw off 5 chains and burred em up bad so they sent me 5 new chains for free. They are treating me good but they knew the auto tension springs were too light it should've came to me with the restrictor in the hyd line. Save me aggravation but that's the way it goes. Other than that I like it. Did a 3 cord load last night in an hour and my 11 year old ran it for a quarter of the load and we even had to put the chain back on 3 times. I'm not that onto it yet but we were runnin nice logs. So it is fast. I'm not completely sold on the auto tension yet. I wanna use it more before I decide that though. I just wish the chain was a little tighter. Cause when i burr  a chainsaw Chain up a little I just put the chain on a little loose run it a little and tighten up again. Not possible with auto tension. I did take a grinder to the drivers on the 5 chains and clean up so I can still use em. They are real new yet
john

mike_belben

Sorry to hear of all the grief its given you.  Thats disappointing. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

OH logger Sorry your having issues. Hopefully block buster will get it sorted out for you. If you get a chance post a picture of that auto tension set up. 

OH logger

They're bein as good as possible. They gave me some new chains to replace the burred up ones and they sent me a heavier spring. I'm gonna put it on the machine tomorrow. Its the same spring as they used to use. They feel it will fix my problem. The restrictir they had me put in the hyd line helped a little but definitely didn't fix the issue all together. They also sent me a chain that is one drive link shorther than the others. Didn't fix issue either. Other than that I'm real happy with the machine. 
john

barbender

Hopefully they get it squared away for you. Hydraulic tensioners are great when they work, and not great at all when they don't. Do they sell the manual type tensioner for their saw as well?

OH logger

They do put them on the smaller machines. Auto tension is an option. Today we did 3 cord of boiler wood threw the chain off once. Next we did about 10 cord of 16" long wood out of about 8-10" average diameter logs and didn't throw the chain off once!  Not sure if I'll put the new tighter spring on just yet. I might wait till I have to do a big batch of big boiler wood. The lighter spring that's on it now will wear the bar less in the meantime. 
john

OH logger

Do you guys use the auto tensioners on mechanical harvesters?
john

1countryboy

Have owned my Blockbuster for 7years and 100's of cords for the two outdoor woodburners on the farms.  The only thing replaced is the manual chain tightner.  Normal wear from use.   I always feather the hyd chain when starting a cut.   Have never had any issues.   Well built heavy machine.  Mine is the pto driven machine rated at 1 cord per hour and i can produce 2 cords/hr.   When the machine is running full capacity and no down time.   I power it with a 74 hp MM tractor.  When i move it, lift the 3pt and go.   It is about the width of my corn planter (14 ft). 

Ohio logger where are you located?
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

OH logger

john

Thank You Sponsors!