iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2012, 09:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I finally got a chance to go to the Cabin Friday afternoon for a hunt.  Our weather pattern has changed and I would not be plagued with the NE wind that prevented us from hunting the entire first season.  We simple do not go when the wind is wrong.

I decided to go to the Straw House for a quite evening of watching.  About 4:45 I started seeing deer, most of which were bucks.  Spikes, and small racks, a nice 8 point, and then a very nice 9 point with a drop tine.  I had seen 8 bucks, but by then it was getting on toward 5:30 so I decided that since PatD would be here for the Saturday evening hunt, I would not shoot.

Saturday morning found me in a favorite place.  A 24' ladder stand against an Oak on the end of a ridge which overlooks the bottom.  As it got lighter, I started seeing deer, most of which were bucks.  (I only saw 2 does?)  The bucks were restless waiting for the next 7-10 days to pass before our first estrus comes into play.  They came from all directions, and were mostly poking along with their noses to the ground.  I saw 4 spikes, forkies, sixes, and a small 8.  The 12th buck that I saw in a 2 hour period, I decided to shoot.  He was moving along fairly quickly, so I picked out a spot ahead of him and when he cleared the large trees, he presented me a shot, and he immediately dropped.  It had all happened so quickly, that I was wondering as I climbed down if I had rushed and shot a dink.

Thankfully there was no "ground shrinkage" and he proved to be a 10 point with an 11" G2, and a 17½" inside spread.

PatD got to the cabin about 2:00, and we climbed into the Straw House about 3:00.  It is amazing how two different day in the same stand can be so much different.  I had seen deer and 8 bucks the evening before, and today we had only seen 2 does and a spike. 

I was looking ahead when I noticed Pat easing her rifle out of the window.  I thought that this was strange because she had not had her binocular up.  I then looked to my left with my binocular, laid them down, and put my fingers in my ears.  There was going to be a shooting.

The buck was walking quickly from left to right, so I grunted with my voice and he stopped.  She told me later that she had forgotten to click her safety off.  I waited for the buck to pass the spike, and grunted again.  He stopped and put his head down to eat.  At the shot, his hind legs buckled and then his front, and he lay still.  We did not know how big he was because everything had happened quickly and neither of us had had (Tom) time to really look at him.

We did not realize until we walked up to him that it was him.....HIM.   The Sticker Buck!!!

12 points and a 17¾" inside spread.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JohnM

Wow, very nice MM!  No lack of meat in your freezer this winter. 8)

I can't comprehend seeing that many deer in just a few sittings.  I spent hours on stand this season and never saw one. :(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Chuck White

Nice pair of bucks there Lynn & PatD.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ellmoe

A fine pair of bucks! :rifle:  Good shooting, too!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

POSTON WIDEHEAD

"HUNTING WITH MAGIC AND PAT"

On the Outdoor Channel
                                          Saturday mornings
                                                  at 9:00 am

Sponsored By: Real Tree Camo, Bushnell, Remington, Chevy Trucks
                         Wood-Mizer, Forestry Forum and Knothole Sawmill, LLC.

This week, see Magic and PatD hunt the hardwoods of Mississippi for Sticker Bucks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ken

Great hunt(s) but I have to say it.  You're spoiled.  The vast majority of us rarely get a chance at those trophies.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Magicman

I somewhat agree, but the "spoiled" did not come easy.  I have control over 846 acres, 346 of which are mine.  About 16 years ago, we went to a one buck per year limit when the state allowed 3-5. We did increase that self imposed limit to 2 last year.   All of my Children and Grandchildren have learned to watch and enjoy instead of shooting the first buck that walks out.  Gone is the "gotta kill something" attitude.  The surrounding properties are all on some sort of buck management program, either state or self sponsored.

I am very strict such as not allowing anyone to hunt anywhere when the wind is wrong.  Notice in the first paragraph above that I did not allow any hunting during the entire first season when there was a continual NE wind.  You walk rather than ride, and 4 wheelers are mostly for game retrieval only.  I feel that the deer have become programmed into knowing that they are not continually harassed on my property.  Also by having a limited number of hunters, animals migrate from the surrounded properties that have folks hanging on stands virtually every day for the entire three gun seasons, plus archery and primitive.  I have 200 acres that is set aside as a "sanctuary".  No one is allowed to hunt or enter that area during hunting season.  It has become a major bedding area.

All of my permanent stands have blinds covering the ladders so that they can be entered and exited without spooking the deer.

Notice the slabs beyond the ladder and hard to see is the boards to the left of the ladder shielding the climber from that side.

Most folks would have shot that "drop tine" 9 pointer that I watched Friday evening.  Much thought has gone into being spoiled. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Your management is paying big dividends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

I wish we could do that but the deer jump over the back fence and die so our management system is kill them before someone else does  :-\  Can't eat the horns anyway and smaller bucks do taste better  8) 8)  There's been some talk about the state instituting the same management plan the UP has in the NW Lower Penisula.  Emmett, Charlevoix, Antrim, Kalkaska and Grand Traverse I believe.  First kill tag would have to have 3 or more points on a side and 2nd would need 4 or more.  My county, Cheboygan, wasn't included or hasn't been yet.

Piston

Great score Lynn!  Those are some nice looking meals right there!   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Delawhere Jack

PatD!, PatD!, PatD!

Awesome buck Pat!! Yours aint bad either Lynn...  ;D

drobertson

Happy Happy Happy! for you both!  Just outstanding, and Lynn you are right, it takes time and patience to grow the big ones.  Lots of decipline to let the young ones walk, but as you have shown, it pays to wait. Congradulations and a Merry Christmas to you and your family,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ET

Good shooting!  Takes a good shot too!  Not just a great property.  I got 2 bucks this year in W. Va. One with bow and one with a 243.  My family (uncles) have 150 acres in the middle of W.Va. (all wilderness) and I'm allowed to bow hunt that.  I'm a member of a 7000 acre lease also in W. Va. for rifle season.  I then own 40 acre of woods here on the farm in Ohio and like you I'm serious about managing that.  I have not got one on my place yet, still waiting on Mr. Big.  My wife says we need one more to get us through this year so we still have muzzle season yet to go and bow, but I don't like that cold.  Notice I'm not attaching any pics of my bucks, lol.   :christmas:
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

Thanks guys.  For those that are interested, Pat's deer grossed 149 7/8 and was 6½ years old.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2012, 01:00:47 PM
Thanks guys.  For those that are interested, Pat's deer grossed 149 7/8 and was 6½ years old.   :)

Nice score, that's pretty old for a Buck. Way to go PatD.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

How do you tell how old they are?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Corley5

Wear on teeth at that age.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Amazing Lynn, I guess Pat's at 150 and you'rs at 130  good bucks and management!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

treefarmer87

nice deer and  :christmas:
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

red oaks lumber

nice looking animals. close to your stands are there feeding stations? or do you rely on natural deer movement?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

The permanent stands are overlooking about an acre which is planted with a mixture of rye, wheat, & oats.

According to law, no feeders can be used in Mississippi during any hunting season, so my feeder batteries are disconnected by October 1st.  Strangely, when they are connected, the great majority of the deer that may feed are caught by the trailcam at night, even though they are located on a main travel route.  I do get some very nice turkey pictures though.

clww

You're going to need a bigger freezer!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!