iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the paper industry is dead

Started by snowstorm, February 09, 2017, 07:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

no. even tho lots like to say it is. sappi to spend 165 million to upgrade mill. it seems to work out better when a paper co. is running the mill vs wall street investment bankers like verso

nativewolf

They've closed 4 mills in last few years, glad they are investing in that one.  And, yes I agree it is always nice to see interested people running the company vs just a bean counter.  That said, SAPPI has some very good bean counters.
Liking Walnut

repmma

At least it should be easier for Sappi without competition for the pulp wood.  With all the mill losses where do you people in the know think the pulp wood demand has ended up?  What percentage less?  Be interesting to see where it all shakes out after this investment.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

jd540b

Investing in an industry is a bit easier when you are surrounded by the corpses of all your competition.  Life is good when you are the last man standing.

thecfarm

I don't know nor understand the closing and reduction in manpower and the closer of a paper machine in some mills. But kinda odd I read gloom and doom from most mills,but Sappi all I hear is good news. This has been going on for a couple years too.
In my little world I saw robots come into the plant I use to work in to cut the parts out. We use to use cutting presses that when the model year was over was scrapped. The robots only needed a fiberglass station that the uncut parts was put on. Trim lines could be altered with no problems. They moved with the times,invested and kept up the other competitions that was doing the same. Yes,it was not 4 million,but money was spent.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Sappi is going to need 30% more wood when they get everthing up and running. They are building a new wood room too!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BargeMonkey

I keep reading about the mill closures, pulp wood is all but dead right now for us down here. NYS was supposed to push so that 25%+ of state buildings, municipal buildings and schools where heated or powered by renewable "cleaner" energy a few yrs ago and nothing has happened in our immediate area, we where hoping to see more utilization like you guys in ME for chips and pulp.  I called my pulp trucker right before new yrs and he told me to sit tight for a bit and things will get better 😂 hopefully, I've got a bunch of shaky hemlock that's overdue and landowners are getting ansy.

Thank You Sponsors!