iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone good at math ?

Started by Kbeitz, December 19, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I'm trying to build a simple set for my mill. I got all my parts and got
most of it put together. I got one problem that I could use some help with.
The rotary wheel that will follow my carriage is 12" in circumference or
around 3.83" in diameter. The wheel is mounted on my rotary pulse
generator. One turn of the wheel give me 600 pulses from my  pulse
generator. So my PLC gives me a reading of 600 for every foot of
travel. So my question is. What size wheel would I need to give me
a reading of 1000 pulses in one foot of travel ? All I know is that it needs
to be smaller by I'm guessing around 1/3.
I need 400 more pulses per 12" of travel.
Would that be as simple as 40 percent smaller ?
1.233" smaller ? That would mean that I need a wheel 1.850" in diameter.

Right ? Wrong ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dan_Shade

Do you get pulses from the shaft turning, or from teeth on a wheel passing a sensor?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

I  calculated it to be a circumference of 7.2", which is a diameter of 2.292".

You need 1000 pulses per 12" of travel if the wheel is in contact with the surface?  I calculated 1 2/3 rotations of a 7.2" circumference wheel to travel 12"....

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TimRB

Nuts--not quick enough...

Anyway, I get the same thing as Dan.

Tim

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 19, 2016, 05:50:14 PM
Do you get pulses from the shaft turning, or from teeth on a wheel passing a sensor?

Pulses come from a rotary pulse generator. It contains an LED light source
and a photo sensor that scans a shaft mounted slotted disc.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 19, 2016, 06:06:47 PM
I  calculated it to be a circumference of 7.2", which is a diameter of 2.292".

You need 1000 pulses per 12" of travel if the wheel is in contact with the surface?  I calculated 1 2/3 rotations of a 7.2" circumference wheel to travel 12"....

Thanks... A lot...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JohnW

I like arithmetic a lot, but I don't know what you're talking about.  With this type of problem, with pulleys and revolutions, the change is always directly proportionate to the circumference or the diameter, either one.

One thing though, if you change the size of this wheel, is it going to be doing less work, and start turning faster?

Den-Den

PLCs are really good at math, just adjust tweak the software to compensate for the pulses that you are getting, no need to change hardware just to make the math easier.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Den-Den on December 19, 2016, 09:45:50 PM
PLCs are really good at math, just adjust tweak the software to compensate for the pulses that you are getting, no need to change hardware just to make the math easier.

It's so much easier when your working with 1000ths of an inch
Instead of 600ths of an inch.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: JohnW on December 19, 2016, 09:26:25 PM
I like arithmetic a lot, but I don't know what you're talking about.  With this type of problem, with pulleys and revolutions, the change is always directly proportionate to the circumference or the diameter, either one.

One thing though, if you change the size of this wheel, is it going to be doing less work, and start turning faster?

No real work. The wheel is just rolling along measuring the distance traveled.
Like this.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

??? ??? could you all explain this in English  ;D :laugh: never mind this way beyond what my brain will handle  :D  good luck

Kbeitz

Quote from: coxy on December 20, 2016, 07:01:58 AM
??? ??? could you all explain this in English  ;D :laugh: never mind this way beyond what my brain will handle  :D  good luck

Does this help ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dan_Shade

Having it roll on a surface may allow slipping of the wheel, maybe a rack and pinion would work. (I would put guards around any gear mechanisms.

MSC carries an assortment of rack and pinion gears.

My setworks has an encoder on the chain that is utilized to raise and lower the head.   The newer woodmizer setworks use a transducer rod.

sandsawmill14

kbeitz  i think you will be good with the wheel you have as it is 50 pulse per inch if it is 600 pulses per rev when you are scaling the plc just multiply x 20 to get to 1000s if you go to 1000 pulses per foot that will give you 83.3 pulses per inch and i would think that would be harder to work with but good luck whatever you decide :)

if you set your scaling as .020 per pulse should get you close that will make you gain .005 per cut so your dog board would be about 1/8 thicker on a 24" cant if you are cutting 4/4 lumber with no cant :)  i am doing this math in my head so double check all those numbers but it should be pretty close ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

we have used those type wheels up to 600ft per min  :o on radiator tube mills with no problems but they were running horizontal so he will have to use some kind of spring loaded mount or something to hold constant steady pressure for it to work :) kbeitz  if it does slip you will pull you hair out trying to catch it because it wont slip 1/2 a round it will slip 2 pulses every once in a while and you cant tell if its in the scaling or in the hardware :D :D :D ::)

pineywoods

Them optical encoders are quite common in the computer world. Anywhere there is mechanical motion, tape decks, printers, large disk drives,etc. The multiple patterns and outputs are there so the software can figure out which way the disk is rotating. Useful on cnc applications also..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 20, 2016, 08:01:31 AM
kbeitz  i think you will be good with the wheel you have as it is 50 pulse per inch if it is 600 pulses per rev when you are scaling the plc just multiply x 20 to get to 1000s if you go to 1000 pulses per foot that will give you 83.3 pulses per inch and i would think that would be harder to work with but good luck whatever you decide :)

if you set your scaling as .020 per pulse should get you close that will make you gain .005 per cut so your dog board would be about 1/8 thicker on a 24" cant if you are cutting 4/4 lumber with no cant :)  i am doing this math in my head so double check all those numbers but it should be pretty close ;)
Thanks... I'll try that.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_alcoholic_01 smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy :D :D

DelawhereJoe

....will the bearings in the unit handle the extra speed of the smaller wheel and are the smaller wheels going to clear the body of the sensor ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Kbeitz

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on December 20, 2016, 12:15:39 PM
....will the bearings in the unit handle the extra speed of the smaller wheel and are the smaller wheels going to clear the body of the sensor ?

This is for the up and down of the carriage and that move real slow.
I could use a smaller wheels because I will be only using one wheel.
But i think I will do as Sandsawmill14 suggested and set my scaling
as .020 per pulse so i wont need to change the size of the wheel.

I want to thank everyone for your help. Love this forum .
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

kensfarm

The simple setworks uses a wire.. the sensor is stationary..  kinda like a tape measure that self retracts. Then you don't have to worry about the wheel slipping.  Might be able to use a tape measure w/ holes in it for your led/sensor pick up

sandsawmill14

yes the encoder will be stationary but the wheel will roll as the head moves up and down   sorta like when you get you truck stuck ;) the wheels are turning but nothing is moving :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 20, 2016, 08:01:31 AM

I had some problems with my eyes and my project got put on hold for
a few days. Well today I got to work on it. I worked on it a few hours
trying to find out how to program it. I was following the book but I
wasn't getting anywhere. Then I found out my 12 volt power supply was
not strong enough. Low current. So after I got that fix the programming
went well. I set the scaling as .020 and it wasn't coming out right.
I ended up with .180 to get it right dead on... No idea why.
I wish my encoder was lower resolution. If I turn the wheel to fast the
PLC cant keep up. I don't think I will have that problem when it's on
the mill because it will be turning slow.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

well i said my math should be close ;D :D :D :D
glad you got it worked out smiley_thumbsup scan time on the processor may be to slow to keep up when spinning the wheel but unless your head is really fast i dont think it will be a problem once on the mill :)

good luck and keep us posted :)

VictorH

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 21, 2016, 12:31:08 AM
yes the encoder will be stationary but the wheel will roll as the head moves up and down   sorta like when you get you truck stuck ;) the wheels are turning but nothing is moving :)

I believe what you describe is called a "string pot"

sandsawmill14

i think  kensfarm is talking about a string pot but what I was talking about is simply an encoder with a wheel on it :)

Brad_bb

I get the same as Dan too.  Guess I'm really late here.  Didn't read all the replies before doing the math.
I tend to look at the problem as ratios.
600 pulses is to 1 revolution as 1000 pulses is to x , which is written as
600/1=1000/x
solving for x
x=1000/600 = 1.667

Now you know how many revolutions equals 1000  pulses

So now if you want to know the size of the wheel that will give you 12 inches in 1.667 revolutions, you write it as
1.667(2*Pi*r)= 12 inches
Note: 2*Pi*r is the circumference of the wheel, where r is the radius and Pi is 3.1415
Solving this equation for r
r=12/(1.667*2*3.1415) = 1.146 inches
multiplying by 2,  the diameter of the wheel equals 2.291 inches, and a circumference of 7.200 inches.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ozarkgem

I will use a vertical stationary chain and the encoder will move up and down with the head. A sprocket on the encoder will be used to turn the encoder. No chance of wheel slippage.  Are you spring loading the wheel so it will stay in constant contact?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 25, 2016, 05:36:29 AM
I will use a vertical stationary chain and the encoder will move up and down with the head. A sprocket on the encoder will be used to turn the encoder. No chance of wheel slippage.  Are you spring loading the wheel so it will stay in constant contact?

Spring loaded mounted at the top away from everything.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I took some time thinking and playing with the scaling.
I think I'm going to set it up for reading 1/4" This would
make reading it so much easier. The scaling for that came
to .800. Bow if I want 1" I just run it to 4. 2" = 8 and so on.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!