iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Door Gaskets

Started by Gary_C, October 29, 2011, 09:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I have had my Central Boiler 6048 running for about two weeks now and from the start I had trouble controlling the temp. This is my third season and I did just change the temp controller because of fogging of the faceplate but it was not the controller as the damper was always closed.

So after consulting with the dealer, I changed the door gasket. It was not too bad of a job, only cost about $20 for the kit including the high temp RTV silicone and it sure got instant results. I did also have to adjust the lower door catch as it was not engaging and apparently never had. But that did not seem to be the problem as the top catch was set right.

So is this replacing the door gasket a common thing with those that have been using your OWB for some years? Perhaps the door gasket dried out during the off season? There was one space on the lower part of the gasket that was probably leaking as there was some tars collecting on the door ledge along that section of the door gasket. Is this something that should be replaced every couple of seasons?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WI Fire

I just traded a 6048 for an e-classic 2300. I had the 6048 for 4 heating seasons, never had to replace the door gasket.
1.) Scrape the creosote around the door. If it's on the gasket, you have an air leak

2.) Believe it or not, a toilet brush(nylon), warm water with dish soap-- does wonders- loosening the grime, expanding the gasket rope-- a great task before the season requires full use of the boiler.

Hope this helps.

WI Fire

doctorb

I have a 2300 with 2 full winters of use.  I changed the gasket this off season.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chevytaHOE5674

I have a 14 or 15 year old woodmaster that I've never replaced the door gasket on. So I just went out and checked it and it looks good. Still flexible and seems to seal tight....

beenthere

Speaking about door gaskets, I'm still on the one that came with the boiler. Still airtight and going on 35 years. Prolly is some good asbestos material that lasts longer. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dean186

I am still using the same gasket here, but it is just my third season.  I think some have shorten the life of the gasket by letting flames shoot out of the front door for too long.  If that doesn't happen, I would think they should last a few years.  You have asked a good question and one to which I will be watching the responses.

Thank You Sponsors!