iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a Beauty

Started by Magicman, November 06, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

To a sawyer a Beauty has to be a log right?  I was at my property today after voting and found this Cherrybark Red Oak on the ground.  Saturated ground, tall tree, and wind does not mix very well.  :-\

The butt swell is well over 3' and the butt log DBH would easily push 30"+.

I have admired this beauty many times in the past.

52' to the first fork and from there two stems (12"-15") still going up with relatively no side limbs. 

The dilemma is that I have no use for any lumber.  I have plenty already sawn and stickered for my barn restoration/refurbishing project.  This thing contains two years worth of firewood, but it is begging to be sawn.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If you don't saw it, I will come and get it :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Any parenchyma bands present?   :D Or perhaps a Mariachi band instead?  smiley_trap_drummer  smiley_guitarist horn_smiley
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

It was being closely guarded by these guys:

IMG 2096 - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Saw you some Mantels and store them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

Now you have too show us all what's inside that beauty
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

This one will present several challenges the first of which will be extraction.  Any kind of reasonable length logs will be crowding/exceeding 4K lbs. which is much more than my JD 1530 e/w my Tajfun logging winch can handle.  :-\

Brad_bb

MM, Firewood logs are meant to be firewood (but oftentimes live edge braces in my case).  Saw logs are meant to be sawn, and veneer logs are meant to be sawn if we get our hands on them first.  

That would be a good tie beam log given its length and qualities. Or RRQS logs.

Don't you know anyone with a boom forklift or a big skid steer to help you get it out? Firewood would be a sin.  You gotta mill it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

Brad beat me to it, that thing looks nice.
If the twist isn't too much that looks like it would grade very well as a large, long, red oak beam. That's the kind of tree we were scouring the woods for last year for our barn repair projects.
We made the beams in the woods with a CSM... if there is anyone in your neighborhood who is doing that or a timberframe they could do that. The beam came out easier than the log and then we bucked the large slabs and took them out to the sawmill in board lengths easily.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Sorry you lost such a nice wildlife tree. Hope you can salvage some good lumber out of what is left.

How far will you have to snake the logs out to a spot you could reasonably get and set up your sawmill? 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

It would take a skidder to get the entire stem out and that ain't happening.

SawyerTed

I feel your pain - 20 or so hardwood trees came down in TS Michael. The biggest are white oaks and hickories.  I'm stuck with the dilemma of how to get some of them out of the woods as well.  Our farm is extremely steep so the dilemma is compounded.  I do have the opposite problem- plenty of firewood and a need for lumber. 

One red oak produced 5 9' saw logs with the smallest end 18".  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DelawhereJoe

You probably have 2 years worth of firewood just in the branches with as far south as you live. It would be sad to see that beautiful straight tree chopped up into firewood when you have a sawmill just sitting around.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

Need to find someone with a little swing blade mill  ;D

I'm a bit far away, but I'd saw up a tree like that where it's laying and haul the boards out with whatever machine you had handy, quad bike or bigger. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I have the same problem courtesy of Hurricane Michael.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

In 2010, I lost these two Cherrybark Oaks due to lightening:

They were both over 36" DBH.

And then in 2014, these two fell in opposite directions.  The closest was a Water Oak and the other a Cherrybark Oak.  Both were well over 40" DBH.

Sadly I was unable to recover any of them due to their location.  I have learned to accept that which I can not control.  :-\

Rhodemont

I have not yet come to terms as you have MM.  With a tree that nice i would be waiting for ground to freeze and going after it.  Probably making a mess and looking like a fool doing it like I did with a particular log last winter.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

derhntr

Split the trunk with black powder to size your winch can haul out. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Rhodemont on November 07, 2018, 10:24:30 AM
I have not yet come to terms as you have MM.  With a tree that nice i would be waiting for ground to freeze and going after it.  Probably making a mess and looking like a fool doing it like I did with a particular log last winter.
Rhody,

By the time the ground froze in hard enough in Mississippi to get heavy equipment in to that log it would likely have already rotted to sawdust on it's own. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Correct Howard, our ground does not freeze. 

I talked with Marty and it appears that the lumber is destined to become flooring in his home.  I also talked with my kiln/milling guy to verify the length and widths that he prefers.  I will saw, sticker, and air dry before delivering it to him in March.  We now have a plan.   :)

Brad_bb

Magic, if the butt log is cut 8' long and it 30 on the small end and 33 on the big end (cause you'll trim the swell), then the log weight should be about 2700 LBS.  Can't your machine handle skidding that?  Or can the loader arms on the mill handle it?  If there's a will there's a way.  Gun barrel them, split the quarter sawn boards out of the middle, and RRQS the remaining halves.

Just saw your response.  If it's going to be flooring, maybe at least conventional quarter saw it if you don't want to RRQS.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DelawhereJoe

If your chainsaw isn't big enough you could always pick up a farmer tech ms 660 "devil in a blue dress" cut in at 12'6" saw it down the middle and split it in two, then skid them out that way.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DPatton

MM,
 You gotta think outside of the box! Helicopter, big one! Fly them logs to the mill!  :D :D :D.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Brad, I am not concerned with the sawmill handling anything that I can get to it and the tree is less than 50 yards from the road which will be my sawing site.  If I have difficulty skidding a log I can always wrap and roll it.  Even at 8½' the butt log is gonna be over 4K lbs.

My initial comments regarding whether lumber or firewood was based upon the fact that I personally have no need for any lumber.  Once Marty suggested making flooring for his den, firewood was out and lumber was in.

I should be able to do some measuring and maybe even some skidding next week.  I saw another downed Red Oak beside the creek that I have not looked at yet.  That plus another that is dead standing.  :-\

Southside

Magic -

I have salvaged a couple of red oaks that had been down so long the sap wood was gone and made them into flooring.  The first one I did was headed to become firewood and something said to try sawing it to see what it looked like. The only description I can give is that it reminds me of reclaimed lumber.  Yes, there is a yield loss, but the colors are richer and darker.  I suspect it has something to do with the aging process that we can't duplicate as only time will make it happen.  I need to call a client in the morning about another oak job he needs and will ask him for a photo of the floor I did for him.  You may want to look at some of those that have been down a while too for Martys project. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!