iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deer season

Started by petefrom bearswamp, November 20, 2015, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

The war starts here tomorrow.
Southern zone of NY deer gun season.
I will have 4 family and a couple of friends on my minuscule 129 acre property in the AM.
I border state land so we should at least be able to put some meat in some freezers.
I have identified 8 bucks on my trail cameras but the bigger ones only come by at night guess this is why they are bigger.
Lots of does and fawns too.
Fresh tenderloins yum yum I hope
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Good luck, be careful and hope everyone has a good time (More important than killing deer is having fun).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

hope you did well today pete     had more traffic on my road yesterday and this AM with all the big bad hunters from the big bad city then last year  ;D

Chuck White

Good luck Pete.

Happy Birthday, Coxy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

Got a six point buck at 5AM yesterday, and never fired a shot.   fudd-smiley

He ran into the front fender as I was going 50 mph.  Snapped his neck and broke the rack, but his body never touched the car.  Amish friends were very happy to load him in the wagon and home to butcher. 

Say when

gspren

Quote from: Roxie on November 21, 2015, 05:22:54 PM

He ran into the front fender as I was going 50 mph.  Snapped his neck and broke the rack, but his body never touched the car.  Amish friends were very happy to load him in the wagon and home to butcher.
How did the car make out? Deer can do some serious damage.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

My son hit a big doe in the head while he was in high school. Did not hurt the meat so we went and got her off neighbor's lawn (I am sure they were happy to see it gone or maybe not to see it at all) but the damage to the car was way more than the value of the meat.

Years ago I worked a project in Rochester NY and while driving through Pennsylvania I noted a large number of dead deer along I-77. Decided they had more deer than us then rethought the issue and decided their economy was just better and they left them while we took our road kill home to eat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

How did you all do??

Lots of shots heard around the south end of Otisco Lake this A.M.
Dan

Chuck White

Quote from: Roxie on November 21, 2015, 05:22:54 PM

You had your car "sighted in", (old saying).
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

There are only two softball sized dents in the front fender, with scratches made by the antlers.  The dents are the type that are easily popped back out.  The body of the deer never touched the car, or there would have been significant damage.  He weighed in the 140 range I'd say.  Corn fed healthy fella. 

Timing was everything, if I'd been seconds behind, would have hit him head on.  If the Amish fella hadn't taken him, I was going to call Cowboy Bob to bring the truck, but as long as the meat wouldn't be wasted, I was happy. 

Say when

sandhills

My dad was driving along a few years ago and noticed a doe running towards the road so he stopped, she ran right into the drivers side door of his pickup  :D.  He wasn't amused, this dent isn't one that pops out easy and now his window won't go down and the door doesn't shut quite right, maybe he should've stopped a little sooner  ???  :D

petefrom bearswamp

good day yesterday
2 6 pt bucks, 2 adult does
1 male fawn 1 doe fawn.
Not bad for a small plot of ground relatively speaking.
none seen so far today.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

millwright

Sitting in stand while writing this, saw some small ones and some does.  I had just shot a really large buck with the bow about 2 weeks ago , so I can be pretty picky now

gspren

PA deer season (gun) starts Nov 30th, since I already got a buck in DE, muzzle loader season, the wife thought maybe I wouldn't stay at the cabin all week  :D it's even more fun when you don't care as much whether or not you get one. A full week at the cabin with my brother is planned.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

highway

Deer are scarce here in the hills of NH but when you do find them they are healthy and large.  :laugh:

Caught up with this one a couple days ago, 190 lbs 7 point.

Ed

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

Chuck White

Nice one Ed, congratulations!

Magicman

Congrats.  I see some mass on those bases indicating age.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Nice buck
No more deer here yet
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

~Ron

terry f

YoungStump

Nice buck Ed.

Our opening day of buck season was Monday I stayed in my stand all day and saw around 20 deer the only buck was one small 7 point til this guy walked through around 5:10 in the afternoon. It's my biggest buck to date a 12 point with a 21" spread, gross score 142.
   I will admit I had a pretty serious case of the shakes.  8)
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

submarinesailor

Earlier tonight I was over on the Virginia Game and Inland Fishers website and was reading about this years deer hunt.  According to them the harvest is down statewide.  In some areas as much as 60%.  Most areas it sounds like it is down by 20-40%.  They listed several reason from the mast crop last year, midges and another outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD).  I know the number of deer on my place in Madison County appears to be WAY down.

Here is an article about it:  http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/virginia-deer-kill-numbers-down-greatly-this-year/article_6bc031d6-8141-11e4-ae06-dfbc409bec94.html.

Bruce

beenthere

Very nice buck there YoungStump   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

Very nice!

I almost talked myself out of sitting in the woods last Friday because it was so warm, but I'm glad I went.  This guy came strolling by with about 5 minutes of legal shooting light left.  He's a pretty decent buck for the area, and the nicest one anyone had seen on Mom and Dad's property so far this year.

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Roxie

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!