iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Husky Woes!!!

Started by sigidi, December 10, 2004, 04:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

I'm very new to chainsaws and as such need to get a whole heap of info very fast...

Recently bought a 372xp have used it for about 10-12 hours dosen't seem to have skipped a beat (Being such a noob - don't know how much my opinion is worth?) Anyways put it in for it's first service (a bit overdue but you get that sometimes)

I go to pick it up two days later as I haven't been rang to say it's ready - the short of it is I am told I need a new piston and ring as I have ran it without oil in the fuel ( I am pedantic as hell and even bought a fuel can to assign to the saw when I bought it, so I know it has had the right oil mix everytime)

About $300AU to fix and when I affirm I put oil in to the right concentration every time, I then get told it has happenend 'cause it wasn't Husky oil being used.

Is this even possible? As I say about 10-12 hours runtime maybe not even more like 10-12 litres (sorry for that) of fuel : oil mix so more correctly probably much less time, each time 25:1 mix, I was shown the piston in the machine and it is scored fairly well, can this happen so soon if using oil but just not the right brand oil?

Is this chap trying to take me for a few quick $'s? or was I just plain stoopid not to run Husky oil in it?

Please help me out on this guys - thanks
Always willing to help - Allan

DanManofStihl

You need to run amsoil oil in your saws that is the best I have ever used. What did he say it was seized had not compression or gumeed up. 25 to 1 is a pretty low mix what did your owners manual say my new saws run 50 to 1 and I have never had a problem with them.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Kevin

sigidi;
You should always use Husqvarna chain saw oil in your saw at least until the warranty is up.
25:1 for a good quality two stroke oil designed for air-cooled engines is acceptable but I wouldn't chance it personally.

ehp

What kind of oil were you using?
when you were running your saw in the first 12 hours did you see any power change, cause if you ran it with no oil or whatever  to take the piston out you should of seen a power loss,believe me you will not be the first man that a dealer has took a shot at and will not be the last

sigidi

EHP - was using Shell two stroke oil, no change I noticed in it's performance, except I felt I was sharpeneing my chain much better!!!

Kevin - oil was two stroke oil made by shell, it was specific for mower's, chainsaws

Dan - the saw still runs (apparently) well it did when I dropped it in, I actually only dropped it in as the fella who recommened the model to me, said it needed to go in for it's first service after something like 4 hours of use, a free service. My manual says 50:1 for Husky oil, but if not using Husky oil 33:1 or 25:1 using a good quality two-stroke oil

Honestly the saw is fantastic and cuts like a dream, I'm DanG happy with it, but only dropped it in for this first free service thingo as a warranty compliance type action not as a problem response action (here in Aus it cost me $1400.00 AU so I'm very focused on maintaing my warranty!)

Thanks for the info to date - please please please add more info/opinions/questions folkes.

Based on what I glean here will direct my next course of action, if that is replacing at my expense or going hard for warranty claim I'll have to see - thanks

Kevin

QuoteMy manual says 50:1 for Husky oil, but if not using Husky oil 33:1 or 25:1 using a good quality two-stroke oil

Did you mention this to the dealer?

Tom

A dealer like that and a bonfire about waist high really burns my butt.

Maybe the dealer is on the up and up but he should have called you right away if he found something that drastic on a new saw.  I think that I would take this argument to Husky.  Ask to speak with the Rep.  

Running without oil is definitely a problem you would have noticed.  You wouldl have "smoked" the saw. It wouldl have stopped dead in its tracks. If the dealer persists then I would get Shell envolved.  Press like that, nobody needs.  Let the dealer tell Shell that their oil is no good.  Better yet, let Husqvarna tell Shell that their oil is no good.

If it were me, this type of action from the dealer would be enough to make me change dealers....... and probably manufacturers as well.

IndyIan

The whole thing doesn't sound right.  With 10-12 hours you sould be able to use any 2 stroke oil and not have a problem.  

My 372 came with a dried out diaphram in the fuel pump.  I was new to chainsaws as well so I didn't really know any better.  So it ran lean for few tanks of gas.  No scoring or scratches on the piston even then.  Check out this link, the sound files will show you what your saw should sound like, maybe you were running extremely lean but that's still a saw failure, not user error.  If husky can't get a carb to work for 10 hours then they should eat the cost of getting you a new saw. http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

It sounds like you don't really trust this dealer.  You could ask for all the parts and take it somewhere else.  Maybe he was showing you someone else's scored piston, did you see the cylinder as well?  The marks should line up.  

I would take tom's advice too.  The husky rep or someone in their warranty dept should be able to prove you right.  If you truly had no oil in the gas I'm sure the bearings in the motor would show this as well.  

Good luck,
Ian

tony_marks

Chris J

You used a proper two stroke oil mixed at 25:1, the saw was running fine when you took it in, yet now the piston is damaged.  I'm no mechtech, but that sure doesn't sound right.  I wonder if one of HIS guys screwed up your saw.

Gotta agree with the advice to raise heck with your servicing dealer.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

sigidi

Kevin - found the stuff in the manual after closing yesterday - will no doubt bring this up.

Tom - it burns me too, without oil I would have thought I would have had drastic probs also, but also knowing I didn't do it and even when I turned up the Mech said here's ya fuel, oh it seems like it does have some oil in it - but it should (he shook the fuel up and said the bubbles should stay longer if it had more oil in it??) have kept the bubbles longer so needs more oil. Yeah I wonder how Shell would feel being told their oil is no good!! We have another Husky dealer in town just not the guy I bought it from so maybe I will go quizz them.

Ian - I too feel it doesn't sound right and this is where my distrust has come in - I was recommended to buy this saw from this dealer so I haven't had a lot to do with him - I was shown the piston in the shaft while the start cord was slowly pulled and I looked through the exhuast port (strange that the scoring occured exactly where I could see it?) I listend to that WAV and read part of the page, my saw wasn't diying or messing around as I say never had any intention of having it looked at except for Troy's reminder.

Mucha_Nada - you got it mate that's what I think too, I'm just so new to saws, am I distrusting this guy 'cause I'm not knowledgeable? or is his trying to pull on over? the only thing I am thinking is what does he gain from stuffing it up? I know money to an extent but he will have to do a lot more work for that than the free service??

Anyway please give more of the same it's the w/end here so by Monday I want to have my mind sorted wheather I eat pie or kick up hell

rebocardo

Since you only had 10-12 hours on it, was it over a long period of time where the oil could have separated from the gasoline?

That being said, I use to buy the bottles of the Stihl oil for my Husky 365. Then I started buying the stuff from Advance Auto that they had on their shelf and mixed it at 40:1. Conforms to TWC-3 or something like that for two stroke engines. I think it is from Texaco comes in one quart bottles.

When I run my saws it is usually for a solid four to six hours, that is not counting using them for a sawmill too. Which is pretty brutal compared to regular sawing.

So, unless you were not measuring correctly or the fuel had gone bad I think you are being taken for a ride. I worked for many years in the auto business and I would give you the same advice as if it was for a car.

Go with first impressions. If you do not trust them, don't! Tell them to put the saw together and that you want it in the same condition it was dropped off, nice running condition. Start it and cut some wood there. Then take your saw and bring it to a dealer many miles/KMs from your home so he can't call his buddy and have him give you a story too. Have them take the saw apart in front of you and then call Husky in on it if it still has a scored piston.

You would not be the first person that was shown a bad part, had a warranty claim placed, and your used parts were put back, and the warranty parts were used to fix something out of warranty for a big profit.

In this case, the guy might have messed up your saw or is looking for extra work and was showing you a piston that was not even for your saw. Going to charge you for the work, reuse your parts, and fix another saw at your expense.

Clockwork

here is what i'd do: if warranty covers it, have it replaced, if not, then just run that saw until you do(if you ever do) feel a power loss thenn have it replaced. you have nothing to lose.

first, how does he know you ran it with the wrong oil? second, you are running it way rich so you cant go wrong. i dont beleive there is any secret formula to husky oil, just trying to secure part of the market. i've never run husky oil in mine, just whatever i could buy at the store cheapest. my dad does the same and we've never burnt up a saw due to oil mix. thery say to use 50:1 husky oil mix or 40:1 with other oil.

I agree with Indylan, if im running a 20 year old husky that has probably never seen husky oil and its fine, one with just 10 hours on it aint even breaking a sweat.

lastly, i wouldnt trust a mechanic who goes by the "bubble test" i always mix it to where it smokes just a little.
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

pallis

After getting lots of advice, I run MX2T at 32:1.  Remember though that running a richer oil mix means you are getting a leaner air to fuel ratio.  Even so, if the saw was set at the shop, and you were following the instructions for using an oil other than Husky's  It would seem to me the problem belongs to Husqvarna.  Maybe the saw was running lean and scored the piston, or maybe this dealer is doing a number on you.  Get a second opinion.

$300 sounds a bit stiff.  I'm getting ready to buy a 7900 top end, cylinder, piston, and works, and the quoted price is $200.

Pat  

Chris J

This raises a question (my apologies if this has already been addressed in a previous thread & if this is a stupid question):  Will gas & two cycle oil separate?  My thinking is the separation would be more of a chemical breakdown than something visual.  I always give the fuel can several good shakes before gassing up a piece of equipment, kind of an old habit.

I don't what the dealer would hope to gain by saying you messed up the saw, & it needs repairs that won't be covered under warranty.  Don't see how the $$ he makes could offset the ill will that he'll create.  Seems like the guys here have given you some rock solid advice, & you should come out on top if the situation turns ugly.  I've seen some of the prices that you guys down under pay for saws & equipment!!!  Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

rebocardo

> Will gas & two cycle oil separate?

Yes.

ehp

Hi, this sounds very wrong to me, first bubbles telling you no oil, what is up with that.
My uncle works for Shell and is a class 1 eng. for them and I have used xtc-50 in saws alot and done dyno runs with it, nothing wrong with that oil and if I have a choice I would use it over alot of other oils out there.
If the saw went in working fine then something is wrong with this picture.
how bad are these lines on your piston , if you run your finger nail a cross the piston does it feel very rough or more like I can see them but not feel them,

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
something sounds wrong in this post  ..with NO oil  ya would not have got 10-12 hours  i know of 2 huskys that did not see the tank of gas out before stopping dead in there tracks  ..25-1 is not a bad mix and i'd almost say the oil would go out too 33-1 or 50-1 ..even the saw running lean  it would be almost 4 stroking to be running that lean or ya would have been lacking power  ..how many ml's of oil ya useing on 10Lt's ?? ..i'd be giveing the dealer a hone out on it 10 hours is jack all even if not running husky oil  something sucks ..my dolmars say the same  50-1 if dolmar oil  or 20-1 /25-1 (depending on saw) of other oil  all now are running 25-1 or 50-1 (if i get syn2) never had a prob ..be intresting to see what happens
catch ya
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Avalancher

One question that I would have for that dealer is what was he doing taking apart my saw to look at the piston when all you brougth it in for was the first service? Generally with Husky they are set rich at the factory and after you have several hours on em you bring them in and they lean them out to its top rated rpm. Nothing more!
I have a husky 350 and a 372 and I have burned every kind of oil on the market, sometime out of necesity, cant always get past the husky dealer for my oil.
After working at a diesel repair shop for years, I have seen a lot of abuse of the dealer warranty. I dare say that the dealer is trying to pad the bill, and hopefully bill Husky for the work.They take a chance on a warranty claim that the manufacturer will ask for the parts if they smell something fishy, but often they can come up with something laying around to satisfy them.
Take everyones advise, get your saw back, see how it runs, and take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Lewis Brander

Something doesn't sound right here at all. My brother has just bought a new Husky 372XP and has had not a problem with it. It's a cutting fool. He runs Husky or Stihl oil depending on what the  dealer has at the time at a mix of 40/1. The only thing I see they tell you NOT to do is to over rev the saw while cutting limbs, during break in. He has broken it in the way he intends to use it, which is running it like you stole it. He hasn't thus far adjusted the carb. The dealer he bought it from installed the bar and chain, started the saw and adjusted the carb right out of the box and its got a good 4 months runing time on it now. He's thinking of moding the muffler to let her breath a bit better and opening up the carb after he does so. I'd have the fellow assemble the saw, take it home and use it. If it ran any different than it did before then I'd take it to another dealer and see what he said and get the service rep involved. The saw has 2 year warenty to a home owner and I'd make sure they came through. JMO. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

sigidi

FOR EVERYONE - Well my profound thanks to everyone here involved in my little drama.

As a direct result of what I read in the above I contacted the dealer one more time to find out what his position was regarding not having to use Husky oil to maintain my warranty, he wasn't helpfull in the least, and said as far as they where concerned if I felt it was a warranty issue then I would have to send the saw to Husky myself.

I then unhappilly contacted Husky warranty and not too pleasantly explained my views about the service I was receiving and all the no oil, then some oil, then not Husky oil, etc they said they would contact the dealer.

I rang Husky warranty today and they are authorising the full repair of my saw and contacting the dealer (hopefully as I type!!) to fix up the saw - as should have occured in the first instance.

FOR JEFF - can we have a counter or something like it, to chalk up instances of bloody great advice which has helped someone else out in some fantastic manner.... hang on a minute wouldn't that just be the number of posts on the terrific forum!!!!

8)  go the forum, 8) go go the forum, 8) go the forum 8)

chet

Good show!   8)   And I'm willing to bet da dealer will have a better attitude da next time ya see him.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Chris J

Great news!  Hopefully your Husky dealer has learned a lesson about abusing his customers.  Once everything is put right, maybe you should consider being his former customer.  But if this dealer's the most convenient....well....hmm.

Y'all be careful.

Lewis Brander

To sigidi. Once you get her back, pull the muffler and inspect to see if you have new parts. Reinstall the muffler, pull the plug and oil up everything and pull her over a few times. Intall the plug and start the saw. Make sure the carb is adjusted properly and break it in like you stole it. I'd also stock up on some Husky oil and go to a 40/1 mix for as long as you own that saw. I would always be leary of that dealer, I go by first impressions. If you have to take the saw back into him I'd be checking the saw over myself to know what everything looked like before I took it to him. Then if they gave me a bad feeling, I'd take it to someone else or learn to do my own repairs. You take care. Happy Holidays to all. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

rebocardo

Glad to hear it worked out and you are gettuing the saw back without putting the $ into it.

My local Husky dealer was a bit put off doing the warranty work on my Husky 365 I bought from northerntools.com instead of him.

One of my lines went somethng like " if it was not for the warranty work I never would have known you existed and if you give me any more grief I will pretend you dont and walk out with the saw and never come back for ANYTHING".

Avalancher

Nothing ticks me off more than a dealer moaning about doing warranty work on something that you bought somewhere else. It not like they dont get paid for the work!
My Dodge Dakota is being recalled by dodge for bad upper ball joints, you mighta seen it on the news. If left long enough the whole a-arm assembly falls off, the wheel with it. I contacted my local Dodge dealer about the recall and when they looked up my vin number, they noted that I didnt buy it from them. They said that they are giving preference to customers that purchased from them, then everyone else. I pointed out that is why I bought my truck from an out of town dealer, I had heard about their lousy service. "Thanks for confirming the rumors I heard about you guys" was all that I said about the matter.
If they would give me the parts I would do it myself, I wouldnt want them to work on my truck anyway.

Tom

Situations like that are when the manufacturer needs to be told about his dealer.  The dealers get graded on customer feed-back and benefit or suffer when it comes to new vehicle allocation time.  They sometimes think that their world ends with their dealership area.......it doesn't.   Chrysler/Dodge would be interested in dealer comments like that. :)

Thank You Sponsors!