iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bought my first sawmill !

Started by Wes Lyon, January 08, 2006, 08:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes Lyon

Hi all ...
Well I finally got a sawmill bought.  A '93 Mobile Dimension with 1600 hours on it.  Not too bad for a first saw.  I have been wanting one for years and finally found one I could afford that seemed to be in decent shape.  I drove 1050  one way miles to pick it up.  Driving over the mountains at night in the rain pulling a sawmill with a single axle in high winds is not for the faint of heart.  Next comes a steam clean, sand blast, paint, tune up and then off to find something to cut <grin>.

I am in the process of putting upa 5000 square foot building ( to store all my junk).  After it is complete there will be a kiln inside as well.  Man I am going to be busy this year. 

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum! 

We're getting quite a large Missouri contingent.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Troy

Good for you Wes!  Sometimes we just have to jump right in the middle of it and it sounds like you have.  We will look forward to seeing some pictures of your new mill and the progress you make along the way.  Welcome aboard.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Wellllcome, Wes.

yep, lots of pictures - the nitty gritty.

Ya' gonna' cut yer own lumber for the construction, of course?!
8) 8)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.Get that mill cleaned up and get it dirty the next day with sawdust.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

getoverit

Welcome to the Forum!

We all love pictures.... especially before and after pictures (hint hint)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jpgreen

Welcome and have fun with your new mill.

Mill's being bought everyday.

Every time a bell rings, a sawmill home some one brings..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

farmerdoug

Welcome aboard,

Congrats on your mill.  We will try to answer any questions tha come up.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Frank_Pender

Welcome A board, Wes.  It is always great to have another MD owner around to talk of knawing on logs.  It does sound as though you have a big project out in front of you.  Whereabouts did you get the mill, if you do not mind the asking?

Did you get a Model 128?  How about the length capacity?   18'?
Frank Pender

Larry

Woo-wee another Missouri member.  Betcha you're the first with a MD. 8)

Welcome to the forum Wes.

Used to live in Trenton...worked all over that area many years ago.  Still got lot of friends out there.

Are you planning on grade sawing hardwoods?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TN_man

Welcome to ya Wes 8)
I know how it is to work on a budget. I hope the mill helps you tremendously on that.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Tom_in_Mo.

from one Missouri boy to another, HOWDY AND WELCOME, like Bibbyman said we are starting to collect quiet a few ( or quit)  ;)Missouri guys here. Jeff, I hope it don't overload and cause a power outage. :o

DanG

Hi Wes, and WELCOME!   8) 8)  We've gained yet another MD driver. ;D  There's gettin' ta be quite a gaggle of us. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

Welcome a "board"
When you get that mill cleaned up you ought to paint it orange.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Wes Lyon

Hello and thanks to everyone.  My MD will cut a tight 20' log in it's current configuration.  As for the color of paint that is going on it I am thinking orange or maybe red.  Have a few very small sawing jobs lined up already ( can you say friends.......).  I am going to look at a small stand of red pine on Wednesday I hope to cut into some flooring/trim later this year.  And since I like to build things I was thinking maybe a hybrid timber frame or something later this spring or summer.  I am going to try and semi retire my tool belt and maybe just general contract  a house or two (read starve to death) and try and saw and dry wood.  So here's hoping ...........

Swede

QuoteNext comes a steam clean, sand blast, paint, tune up and then off to find something to cut

Welcome Wes! to the best place to learn about sawmills and milling.

I´ve said it earlier and I say it again; Don´t sand blast anything if You´re not going to take everything apart for cleaning! Sand will go into everywhere and after a short time You´ll have worn out sawmill. If I can´t get dirt off Amerika-Sågen with a steel brush, a grinder or a Scaler with needle atachment  I let the dirt be shaked off by sawing. ;D Even when cleaning with water pressure there is a reason to be careful.  There is one thing I use on my sawmill beside compressed air; compressed greese!  ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

iain

Welcome in Wes Lyon
you listen to that there swede

and yes there are some bits and pieces of info scattered about this forum, it tend's to take up the space's between the picture's, and the talking about food (and no grits aint food, grits is stuff), so you will have to dig long and hard to find any thing to do with actual work

happy hunting

iain

Norm

Geez Iain if your going to use those four letter words like WORK your going to scare the poor guy. ;D

My in-laws live in Princeton, bout the only thing that could get me to go visit would be to know that there's a MD in the area to see. :D

broker farmer

Howdy Wes.  Holler at me sometime, I'm just due south of you (down across the river and through the woods a bit).  I've got a Hudson Oscar 36.  It's my first mill.  Welcome to the forum.   

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Wes Lyon

WOW!
There are quite a few MO/IA/NE sawyers represented here.  KEWL!!!

Sandblasting on my MD should have read abrasive blasting. I intend to use walnut shells if I blast.  Works good, biodegradable and sawmill friendly. I just bought a steam cleaner and will try that first....

Thanks everyone...

Thank You Sponsors!