iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice Fishing 2019

Started by Allagash372XP, October 20, 2019, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allagash372XP

Anyone here ice fish? One of my favorite pastimes. Still waiting to catch that 40" pike wall hanger!

Southside

Used to.  Where do you fish?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Allagash372XP

Maine, NH and Connecticut. I travel a bit for work so I get to fish these states often.

Being in VA you must not get a chance to do much anymore.

Southside

No, been quite a while. Used to live near your user name. Fished the lower lakes of the river plenty of times. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

I really enjoy trolling from a boat or spin casting a stream but sitting over a hole in the ice doesn't do it for me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

I have a handful of friends that ice fish and over the years they have invited me along. But I have to be honest, all the work needed just to chop a hole for the boat seems a bit over the top for me and I always declined.
 There is a popular spot I pass everyday going to and from work, but sitting on ice just never really appealed to me. Now a 40" Pike, yeah, but I'll take mine in July while getting sunburned. I do a lot of other winter sports and activities, but sitting in the cold for something other than hunting just doesn't get me going. It probably should, but it doesn't. I have even heard some ice fisherpersons bring adult beverages with them to make it more exciting or feel warmer. This gets my interest, but I keep getting hung up on the whole ice thing. ;D
 You guys have fun out there and post some good pictures.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I think that I would love to ice fish fishin-smiley but how do you put a DanG ice cube on a fishhook??  ??? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Cooking is half the fun. Than the fish start to bite and gets in the way of cooking. ;D It's a good time to sit around and talk.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Ice fishing?  I'm from the Deep South, but I tried it once and didn't do any good.  It took forever to chop a hole big enough just to launch my bass boat, and my spinnerbait just wouldn't fish right across the top of the ice, it kept clogging up with snow.  Even my plastic worm kept getting frozen to the top of the ice, so every cast I'd have to walk out there and pluck it up, shake it off, and set it back down, go back to the boat, and finish my retrieve.  I figure ice fishing was kind of like fishing on top of lilley pads or something, but I never got a hit.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

It must've been, or still is, a really REALLY hot summer in the Deep South.
Doc Henderson, isn't this cornball humour regarding a noble sport a sure sign of heatstroke and/or heat dementia?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

sawguy21

:D If you didn't ice fish you would never catch any.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

I fish around in the tub for a beer every now and then. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

NORTH

I spend a good portion of time on the ice each year! Cook a little food, drink a little beer...oh [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] flag.
Husqvarna 346xp, 350, 365, 372XP
Stihl 009L

firefighter ontheside

I would love to ice fish.  I love to,fish and I love the cold.  One of these days I'm gonna plan a trip to ice fish in northern MN.  I go skiing up there occasionally and could easily take a day to go fishing.  Gotta get hooked up with someone though, because I have no gear for the ice.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

I will say I used to ice fish, and did enjoy it.   I have a collection of stuff in the basement and an ice auger bit that fits my gas powered post auger.  As I have gotten older I enjoy the sitting  on the ice less, mostly has to do with working out in the cold quite a bit and battling frostbite a couple times. By February I am sick of being cold... although I love to snow ski, it  might have something to do with the scenery involved with it.
  I might go up to Lake of the woods and do a resort outfitted ice fishing trip again, but you have to have the right bunch to go with, especially  if your going to spend a few days out  in an icehouse..

Gearbox

Getting close there was ice on the puddles in my woods road this morning . I have a 6 X 12 insulated enclosed trailer with a vented propane heater . 2 holes in the back with bunk room for 2 . Some one fishes from the portable and one in the trailer . fresh fried Crappie nothing better .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Old Greenhorn

If you are trying to cheer me up, it ain't working. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Sounds like @Gearbox is who I need to get hooked up with when I want to go ice fishing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Gearbox

pm me we may be able to work a trip to the lake I have lots of connections to many lakes . Red , Winnie , Little and Big Cutfoot. I have a 1 man and 2 man portables as well as the trailer . After the first of the year is best for driveable ice .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

jb616

Quote from: Magicman on October 20, 2019, 09:40:11 PM
I think that I would love to ice fish fishin-smiley but how do you put a DanG ice cube on a fishhook??  ???
Silly, ya gotta freeze 'em in the ice cube tray.... :D

Magicman

Well, actually I did try ice fishing one time.  I drilled a hole in the ice and peered into the hole and a loud voice from above said, "There are no fish down there."
I walked several yards away and drilled another hole and peered into the hole and again the voice said, "There's no fish down there."
I then walked about 50 yards away and drilled another hole and again the voice said, "There's no fish down there."
Amazed, I looked up into the sky and asked, "God, is that you?"
"No, you idiot," the voice said, "it's the rink manager."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wisconsitom

That's a good one, MM!

We used to ice fish on Shawano (pronounced shaw-no) Lake.  We had some success with black crappies right around supper time.  We would jig for these until about midnite, then pack up for home.  That used to be fun, but I wouldn't be doing it now.  Back then, I was dumber than now even, and I tend to cringe at the chances we took.

Ice makes big booming sounds when it cracks on the lake.  In the middle of a January thaw, at night, in a winter that had already produced right around 3 feet of ice on that lake, we played football with the kids while watching our tip-ups.  Ice was booming all around us.  It must have been close to 50 degreesF that night I remember most.  Great times.  But every spring, we'd have hell to contend with, getting our shack off the ice before it fell through.

I also know guys that fish the Bay (Green Bay) in winter.  I did that once, taking whatever car I had then out on the ice.  Never again!  No amount or quality of fish are worth the hazards involved.  We were lucky to get back to solid ground.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

terrifictimbersllc

I get the beverages food and camaraderie.  Last night we saw some people sitting around a back yard campfire it  was 30 degrees out, I said to my wife maybe they dug a hole in the yard and pretended they were ice fishing. :o :o

Here's what I want to know.  If we spend a whole week trying to catch fish going all over in a boat  and cant catch anything, how does it work to wait till the lake freezes over then fish in the same place through a little hole in the ice?  Someone enlighten me pls. thanks :laugh: :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

chet

If the fish ain't bitin', or ya park yer boat where there ain't no fish ya won't catch any. Same goes where ya drill dem holes.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Chuck White

There's a lot less food available to the fish in Winter!

Think of all the mosquitos, fly's and other bugs that fall in the water through the course of a summer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DPatton

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2020, 09:37:02 PM

Here's what I want to know.  If we spend a whole week trying to catch fish going all over in a boat  and cant catch anything, how does it work to wait till the lake freezes over then fish in the same place through a little hole in the ice?  Someone enlighten me pls. thanks :laugh: :laugh:
Ice or no ice there are times that one can't even catch fish using dynamite. Ice fishing is not everyone cup of tea especially if you don't enjoy being outdoors in the snow and cold. Some have a great fear of the ice too. I'll be the first to admit I have had a panic attack or two when first getting out on the ice before drilling a few holes to check thickness. But when the bite is on, ice fishing can be highly productive. The water is often crystal clear, the fish can be very hungry as they simply don't have all the food options they have during warmer weather, and undeniably fish usually just taste better caught thru the ice as well.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!