iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cicadas

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 27, 2020, 02:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well it is year 17 and we are having a bumper crop of cicadas hatching here on my place. The trees and grass just below my pasture fence are covered with shells, emerging and fully emerged cicadas.

br>

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

We don't see them very often in this area, but with my "service connected" Tinitus, I hear them just about 24/7!  ::)

Back when I was stationed in Thailand (69-70) I was shocked the first time I saw one of the locals pick the wings, legs and head off of one, then promptly ate it!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Is that the rare "black locust" cicada?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

In this case it was a rare black locust cicada but it is very hard to tell them from the adjacent  tulip poplar, black walnut, dandelion, vetch and poison ivy cicadas found with a 10' area around it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

There are walnut cicadas, dogwood cicadas, cicadas old homes and weedy cicadas!

Not extremely far from WV this weekend on our land in Va.  and took some pictures.  They were thick!

WDH

My favorite one is the walnut cicada :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

This should be our year as well, a friend on the other end of the county has them, still quiet here. Or they might have drowned, we've had whitewater in the front yard multiple times this spring. I remember last time probably a little later in the year the throbbing roar in the woods was at times almost deafening. The cycle does vary, not everyones hatch year is the same. The massive hatch is another one of nature's survival strategies called satiation, the birds can't eat all of us :D.

Raider Bill

Be a good place to be a chicken.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2020, 07:35:13 AM
My favorite one is the walnut cicada :D.
I thought that may be your favorite.  
Have not heard them calling yet.  Probably will be soon. 

WV Sawmiller

I wonder if Bluebirds eat cicadas? There is a pair nesting in this box and the eggs should hatch in about a week or less. Looks like the parents may not have to search far for food.

EDIT - Picture added. I noticed I left this off earlier.
Howard Green

Magicman

Here is a Terrapin finishing a Cicada meal.  The last bit is still captured under it's right front foot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RPF2509

If anything represents the sound of summer its the drone of cicadas.  Of course when the 17 year cycle comes it can be a bit monotonous.  There was a 17 year cycle when I was in second grade.  Was it ever fun to collect the empty shells and put them in the girls hair.  Bonus for a live one but that totally freaked them out and they would tell the teacher.  Winged ones could be tied to a string and used like tethered airplanes - two could be raced!

WV Sawmiller

A big old turkey gobbler woke me up this morning gobbing in the woods in the pasture above the house. A few minutes later he came down in the pasture and looked like he was loving all the cicadas. I guess this is a real good year to be a turkey. I have several big fox squirrels hanging around my bluebird box eating cicadas. The old daddy bluebird is running himself ragged chasing them away from the box with his mate inside on the eggs. Its funny to see a bird that small chasing the bigger squirrels.
Howard Green

Skip

We had "our' Hatch a few years ago , didn't care much for it   >:(, was deafening , chickens dearly loved it . Wife put some in freezer bags for a chicken treat in the winter .  :) Don't take much to make a chicken happy . 

Thank You Sponsors!