iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I carry 20 to 36 inch bars in my pickup so Im pretty much ready for anything that grows 8)

BargeMonkey

Another FF member and I got talking today, 75% of us will be fine, it's the guys who are glued to weekly logs checks for capital to keep working who are done for, I've got enough fuel for 90days flat out. Talked to one log buyer today, he said they may open again in a week BUT nothing is moving ...
I'm out of a boat job for a while and I dont qualify for unemployment so.... 😂

Get that broken link fixed tomorrow, decent pile of wood on 3 jobs.

My buddy's job, making "green energy" but 30acres of trees had to go. I wonder ? Who ? Is going to go down and pick all that wood up ??? 

nativewolf

I think that the response was weak in December and the reaction in March terrible.  That said in the USA there is going to be a huge pot of money dropped and as long as it is dropped with very strict rules and responsibility for big companies taking govt dole than I will take an sba loan.  If they do another tarp thing with banks and connected big companies on dole and executives taking millions and evicting millions, no thanks.  I have been watching bailout discussion with interest and it could be a great time to cut through red tape to get a business loan.  If a hundred thousand small business get capital the economy will boom.  If it is just a few big companies I am more pessimistic.  The virus itself will run its course, everyone gets the cold eventually.  Let's just flatten the  impact on hospitalizations.  Business wise we were due a recession as the run up was primarily fed by unprecedented growth in deficits.  A run up should increase revenues and when it did not it was a warning sign.  So the shock could do very good things for economy if it pushes wealth down the to more younger consumers, it won't be a company debt fueled run up in stocks but consumers spending on lumber.  China is recovering and placing orders, red oak was recovering in price by the week.   2 weeks ago I was pretty sure the winter of 2021 was going to be great now we will see but it wont be because of Armageddon if not ; instead it will be ineffective response on the economy.  
Liking Walnut

PoginyHill

I've been working on removing blowdowns from Vermont's 2019 Halloween storm. Lost count of the number, but close to 200 tress removed on only 35 acres of softwood. Only a hobby of mine, so it's taken all winter. Now I'm wondering if the softwood market will plunge with the current economic situation.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

dustintheblood

Nice work!  Blowdown cleanup by hand is a pain, but it's nice to get what you can before it becomes dirt again!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Skeans1

A little weird walking out the front door to the machine

Brooks1984

I finished the 50 acre clear cut I started a week ago. I was not able to get many photos and videos because there were too many foreman's on the job site and they don't want anyone to no what's going to be built.

Cutting small cedar - YouTube

BargeMonkey

Social distancing... 😂

I love hearing all this junk about "essential"... told our customers who called, if your not down to 1wks worth of wood we will bring you some when things calm down, see every idiot and their brother out peddling wood. No ones buying logs... it's going to all come to a halt here soon... got word today that a bunch of "essential" county workers where exposed. Only form of payment I want to accept right now is  5.56 in cans... preferably M855s 😂

Southside

They were on sale a few months ago.  Lets just say the Lull came in handy... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

So some of you guys aren't working? We are still alowed to work at this point. Most businesses are shut down. Just essential business is working. I'm really hoping I don't have to completely stop. I will just pile wood if I can. 

snowstorm

here in maine the gov is calling forestry essential along with ag   fishing  trucking and some others

cutterboy

Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2020, 06:53:26 AM
here in maine the gov is calling forestry essential along with ag   fishing  trucking and some others

The same with Massachusetts
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

dustintheblood

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

snowstorm

maybe forest products will be looked at in a different light from the city folk. to many used to see it as bad. i dont see a lot of tourist coming this summer if any. unless this virus goes away quickly. one can hope it dose.

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2020, 09:15:01 AM
maybe forest products will be looked at in a different light from the city folk. to many used to see it as bad. i dont see a lot of tourist coming this summer if any. unless this virus goes away quickly. one can hope it dose.
I will say it's nice to be able to drive around belfast without having to wait for traffic at every stop but hope it doesn't continue long or the state/country will be really hurting financially. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Corley5

Production of forest products has been deemed essential in Michigan by our Supreme Leader.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Grandpa

dustintheblood

Quote from: Corley5 on March 25, 2020, 12:03:02 PM
Production of forest products has been deemed essential in Michigan by our Supreme Leader.
"Supreme Leader"   :D :D :D
I guess technically ours can be "Brother of the Crackhead"

quilbilly

As someone who lives in a tourist area, tourism was the worst possible thing to happen for the timber industry. We became Seattle's weekend playground and soon thereafter the wilderness acts came about locking up 80,000 acres of NF, then spotted owl which shut down ONF for 2 year's and no clear-cuts since really, and now another 100,000 acre wilderness bill up for vote. Then people take pics and share on social media with words like primordial Grove, ancient forest, and they're just looking at big second growth half the time. 

I hope they open up business but limit vacations. Help contain the spread while keeping most businesses going. It will hurt the service sector, but they're getting killed right now anyway. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Skeans1

@quilbilly 
It sure would be a heck of a time to open a bunch of that stuff up and get all the dead stuff out to help TP production.

snowstorm

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 25, 2020, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2020, 09:15:01 AM
I will say it's nice to be able to drive around belfast without having to wait for traffic at every stop but hope it doesn't continue long or the state/country will be really hurting financially.
no traffic is nice but they closed the hot dog stand. gonna miss that

Bruno of NH

I like toilet paper :)
I have lost to many shirt pockets over the years
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

BAN

Quote from: quilbilly on March 25, 2020, 04:00:07 PM
As someone who lives in a tourist area, tourism was the worst possible thing to happen for the timber industry. We became Seattle's weekend playground and soon thereafter the wilderness acts came about locking up 80,000 acres of NF, then spotted owl which shut down ONF for 2 year's and no clear-cuts since really, and now another 100,000 acre wilderness bill up for vote. Then people take pics and share on social media with words like primordial Grove, ancient forest, and they're just looking at big second growth half the time.

I hope they open up business but limit vacations. Help contain the spread while keeping most businesses going. It will hurt the service sector, but they're getting killed right now anyway.
We have friends that live in Port Angeles and they said it was a mad house last weekend with all the city folks trying to get out. Hopefully with the shutdown things will calm down over there.

nativewolf

Quote from: quilbilly on March 25, 2020, 04:00:07 PM

With stumpage and log prices so low the more they restrict the better, help move log prices up.  Actually I'm kind of surprised anyone on the west coast would want to see more supply hitting the market..it would kill log prices I'd think.  But maybe our revenue models are different and your just getting paid on production?  We are paid on revenue sharing, so the more supply restrictions the higher the revenue and then it is a race for good supply and that's better for us.
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Ya Seattle folks used the quarantine shutdown as an excuse for vacation. Beach towns had to ban all hotels and vacation rentals from further operation and the governor shut down state parks to overnighters. We had 200+ overnighters at our local park. One bathroom and one store. If even one person had covid 19 everyone in that camp would get it if they used the bathroom, add in that we only have one gas station and a simple trip for a candy bar etc, could end up infecting the whole town. It was insane. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!