iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Just Right on April 13, 2019, 09:04:56 AMPA I love your style!  I so wanted to do that on several occasions!!!!!!!!!

It will set your soul free! ;D:D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

rjwoelk

Can you dry up to 6x6x8ft 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Stephen1

I would dry it. I would like to see how long it takes. 
Quote from: rjwoelk on April 21, 2019, 10:49:54 PM
Can you dry up to 6x6x8ft

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

rjwoelk

According to DH kilns it falls into the same category as pine.
So what time frame would it take to dry, and at what cost.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

K-Guy

Hi
For timbers that thick, the drying is very slow. It would take months in the kiln. It would better to air dry it down to about 20% and then put it in the kiln for finishing and sterilization. 
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Stephen1

Syrup season is over and cleaned up.I  am going to move lumber to my klin from the bush. I will bring some timbers down and put them in when I have room, and see how long they take. 
I am looking at metal baskets to fill with firewood. i think there is a market for kiln dried firewood.
Who uses thier kilns for firewood?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stephen1

I had a large amount of ants and dirt in the last load of 34" walnut slabs, so much so, tha the drain hole in the rear of kiln became clogged. I opened the kiln after 9 days to check the load and a huge amount of water was draining out the front door, and out of the kiln. Since then I have re-plumbed the drain on the kiln with a pan and a pump.
In the mean time when I pulled out the load after a total of 12 days I found a small amount of a white fungi on the walnut around 1 of the cavities that had dirt in it. I have brushed it off and vacuumed it off but a small amount remains. 
I'd like to wipe it off with some bleach but I am afraid the bleach will stain the walnut.
Any ideas?

Just Right

The day of off loading and setting.  Got it fired up this week and a load has been in there for 4 days now.  At full temp around 160 ish.  Can't wait to see the progress.

Stephen,  maybe some of that house wash stuff for the fungus among your walnut?
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Stephen1

Stephen,  maybe some of that house wash stuff for the fungus among your walnut?

I'll give that a try. 
I will also see if extra strength vinegar will work

Just Right

Let me know how that turns out.  Going to open my kiln today to check progress.

E-Tex

i haven't read this post in a while and this may have been covered already....

do the smaller units have the Optional Bladder Press available?
I thought at one time I saw that as an option on the initial unit once they started advertising the unit.  Now I just see it as an option on their largest unit.

Also, for those of you have some i-dry experience so far, do you think the Bladder Press would be a good, or needed, option?  

Thanks
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Glenn1

I've had the IDry since December and I don't think that the bladder will work with stickers.  The bladder puts tremendous pressure on the boards and I'd be concerned that the stickers would leave indentations into the boards. Especially wood that is lower on the Janka Hardwood scale.  I'm sure that Jim at  Vacutherm will have much more information on the use of bladders with an IDry.  
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Stephen1

The extra strong Vinegar worked great. cleaned off the fungi and it has not returned.

Just Right

That sounds great Stephen.  I have some pecan in the kiln now,  so far hardly any movement.  Should be ready in a day or two and I will post pics.  It was green when it went in.

WDH

Quote from: Just Right on June 01, 2019, 10:34:08 AM
I have some pecan in the kiln now
What??  smiley_devil smiley_devil.
I am drying some 16/4 now.  I hope yours turns out nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

@WDH: 16/4 pecan?
How long does it stay in the kiln before you consider signing a landlord and tenants agreement with it?  ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

It has been air drying for 16 months.  Been in the kiln 2 weeks. As long as I can get it down to about 15%, I will be good with it.  Going over a fireplace as a mantle.  If I am not careful, though, it might move in with me and become a squatter.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rjwoelk

Have not heard much from the IDRY guys. How are things going?
Tell us your results.

samandothers

Quote from: WDH on June 02, 2019, 07:30:48 PMIf I am not careful, though, it might move in with me and become a squatter.

:o What!?! letting the  smiley_devil smiley_devil move in!?!  :o

Stephen1

The kiln is doing alright. I am trying to figure the drying costs for the thick slabs. I have people that want to dry green 12/4 cherry and think I should do it for $1.50 a bd ft.
I have dried some green walnut slabs 8/4- 12/4 and they take around 3 weeks .they were sawn last fall. So frozen all winter, not much drying happens in the north for 6 months.
4/4 -5/4 dries as fast as they predicted.
I would like to hear what other guys are charging.

rjwoelk

I was quoted 1.75 bf per week.
8/4  would be 4.50 if it takes 3 weeks.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

rjwoelk

That was my reaction also.
1500 bf  per load .

Tom the Sawyer

You might consider putting sub-meters on your kiln supply lines.  If you know the quantities (cost) of electricity, water, etc., it will be easier to set prices and not run at a deficit.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

YellowHammer

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 08, 2018, 01:10:55 AM
Power consumption is listed as 6kWh average.  With an average published 2018 electrical cost in Alabama of approximately .1259 $/kWh, that comes to 6000/1000*24*.1259= $18.13 per day or $543 per month or $6,516 per year in electricity costs.

It also costs $1,500 for a 2 year service contract.  
I have talked to one user a couple months ago who said my original calculations were pretty close, based on the manufacturers advertised numbers, at least in his case.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!