iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2' OC or 16" OC all things considered

Started by Sedgehammer, March 02, 2021, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

2x6 16" OC has 2.9 inches of wall it supports per inch of width

2x8 24" OC has 3.2" inches of wall it supports per inch of width

If you multiply the thickness by the width a 2x6 (1.5x5.5) is 1.94 sq inches of support area on 16" OC

a full 2" x8 is 1.6 sq inches of support area on 2' OC, so it's stronger. A regular 2x8 (1.5x7.25) is 2.2" of support area

That's not a lot of difference , but it's a difference. I could cut the wall 2x8s a full 2' thick to make up that difference or you think 2x6 16" OC is better over all?

The tall walls (26' 6") will have no sheet rock on them. Exterior will be B & B and interior will have steel. The living area lean will have rock.

If 2' OC studs, sheetrock for the walls wood need to be 5/8?

I'll do 7/16 on the exterior walls, as I need to run a 1x3 or 1x4 to screw the B & B to, so that should be enough for shear strength. I know 7/16 over 2' OC studs will be wavy, but since the 1x4 going over it, will that make up any weakness differences?
Necessity is the engine of drive

Walnut Beast

Sedgehammer

Walnut Beast

Magicman

16" vs 24".  There is a little known alternative:  19 Diamond

Very few people have ever noticed the diamond and even fewer know what it is for.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2021, 08:50:59 AM
16" vs 24".  There is a little known alternative:  19 Diamond

Very few people have ever noticed the diamond and even fewer know what it is for.  ;D
Yup, there's that also. Few use it though.

I just sent off the 16" OC with the 26' walls broken down in 2 parts to the local. Once I get that I'll decide if i'll go green for sure. I have trucking and the unhandy prospect if I missed something....... But if I go 16" OC green with it being the suggested over cut to match dimensional, then if I missed something, not really an issue.  

Thank You Sponsors!