iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having to Buy Tires.

Started by SawyerTed, Yesterday at 09:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

My truck needed tires. We use a nationwide retail chain because there's no telling where we might drive.   

I hate to buy tires, brakes, gravel and shoes.  I know the necessity each but they just get used up!

There's $1,200 gone! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DbltreeBelgians

I feel your pain @SawyerTed I need 4 new skins on the truck and it won't be long I'll need 6 new shoes on the 5th wheel. Not looking forward to either expenditure.

Brent 

doc henderson

We have a cooper tire, and they are locally owned by the cooper family.  the brands are warrantied all over.  most of my tire stuff is done in town, even if I have to run a spare.  free rotation and checking balance.  I hate a vibration.  they also do my front-end work.  Used to be a goodyear guy, but a few bad experiences ect. ect.  My dad as a truck driver was adamant about brakes and tires.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

One issue is when your find a good tire, it either goes out of production or they cheapen it up and it is no longer the tire you had before.  These guys are in it for the long haul and steer me away when there is a change.  I wanted bigger tires, and we tried a set before a scout trip to Colorado.  with the trailer weight the duals nearly touched, and they took them off and replaced with the original size tire.  That was 9 am Saturday before we left.  good service.  I do not know if they are more expensive than the big box tire stores, because I do not shop for price.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

One year we were in Colorado Springs, the Saturday night before heading up the mountain to camp, I noticed the front L tire was showing cords on the very inner part.  this was a good year tire and got it replaced at a shop on Sunday morning.  That would not be good on a mountain road, pulling a 7 K trailer and with three scout souls on board.  good lesson and glad I had the opportunity to learn from it.

SawyerTed

Whew! Dodged one today on the tires!

Only needed 2 on the rear.  Swapped the fronts to back.  

Got the 2 under tread wear warranty!  I've always rotated at this store.  They had records.  For some reason the last 1/4 of tread went quick.  

Out the door with 2 new tires, $65!   

They still tried to sell me 2 more!   Saying the new ones were slightly different design!   ffcheesy   I asked if they were same height/diameter and black?  Guy said yes and laughed. He knew what I meant.  

I'll deal with the other two under warranty before the mileage is up.   

I hate buying tires!  An all night dentist would be more fun.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

I will buy tires for you if you will go to the dentist for me!

Southside

Been doing a lot of burnouts there Ted eh?  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I buy my tires from the shop that changes my oil.  That way I only have to make one stop for an oil change and tire rotation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Quote from: doc henderson on Yesterday at 01:35:27 PMI will buy tires for you if you will go to the dentist for me!
If all they have to do is what they'd do to my teeth, I'm all for that doc!  Have only one filling in 61 years!   ffcool  That one was 42 years ago. 

@Southside, towing, lots of towing - a sawmill or a 18' car hauler, or a boat or a camper or a utility trailer.  And lots of hauling lately.  

Thank You Sponsors!