iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

Oops 

Almost empty at least and didn't get the brand new jug of bar oil...

thecfarm

Should have got the bar oil instead. Would have been cheaper.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

I don't like those spouts anyway  :).

barbender

Actually that's the only good one I've come across of the "CARB compliant" types. I actually prefer them above regular ones, they are high quality and work well.  I think Fill-rite is the brand name. Any other CARB type, I wish would get ran over😊
Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

I really do not like this thread!!!

up next, hydraulic hose on the curl ram of the tractor. Just enough of a hole it makes a puddle in the shop. New ones needs a degree end that is on 2-3 week backorder. Poop!

when I went to the parts store to get that figured out tranny on truck was not playing nice. I got to parts store to find a puddle of tranny fluid under the cooler on the truck. Guess I finally know why the tailgate has a thin layer of oil on it and what that tiny drips were under the front.

Just so you all know Ford in their infinite wisdom decided not to put a dipstick tube on the F-150. That means no way to check the fluid and no way to add fluid. Talk about boning you into the service department!!

At least I figured this out before the 4 hour drive to boonville this weekend. Looks like we take the toyota.

moosehunter

There is a place to check the oil in the trans of your f150. Passenger side, just above the oil pan, front corner.  Oh ya, it needs to be hot to get a good reading and you guessed it.... The exhaust pipe is right next to it!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

Yea, the guy at the shop told me about that. and also the nice hot exhaust :)

Thanks moosehunter.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Don P on July 17, 2022, 07:57:38 AM
I don't like those spouts anyway  :).
When I buy a plastic gas can the cap/spout gets thrown away. I have saved every coarse threaded cap I can find to replace that junk that only lets water in.

mudfarmer

Actually I like (d) that little push button can so much it has a twin, they are my "mixed gas end use dispensers" because I like how much less I overflow the tanks on saws and other things. They are small, light and pretty well sealed for packing in the woods by wheels or foot. They do not balance a gallon jug of bar oil well when strung on a rope because of the different rate of use, quart or two MSR bottles of oil is better. Please don't look at my 5gal can spouts and vents!

Moodnacreek, the spout is horizontal not at a vertical angle so no water gets in

Don P

I guess its been about 3 weeks since the tree jumped in front of the Silverado. I drug a Yukon out of its final resting place at a friends and made a Yukarado. It finally fired up last night and I drove it around here today. The ranger isfair for what it is but it seems like I missed the full size pick em up for something about daily. It was good to hear the small block cough, fire and settle in. Oh, after 2 rounds of shimming to unbind the new chinee starter  ::). I dropped that tiny tickler nut in the mud, never to be seen again, yup. metric :-X. I guess the thump was hard enough the old starter took a dive.

I had to steal the front 8" or so of the Yukon frame and most of the front clip. The doors were already sagging on the Silverado with new pins and bushings and after the wreck the pillar moved some more. The driver's door was a good inch below the latch pin and I had to really lift it to close for the trip home. I did some cyphering with the distance between hinge pins and the distance to the latch pin vs how much I needed to lift the door, cut the upper hinge, moved it forward a plump quarter inch ("Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon and cut it with an axe"). Got lucky and the door closes nice, I need to steal the yukon latch guts, mine got hammered as the door sagged. The best part of a day sorting out the front wiring and soldering the yukon lights on to the chevy. To get everything to plane in I lowered the front radiator mounts, seemed like a plan. Till I tried to mount the bumper which is indexed off the frame. I'll need to cut and lower the bumper brackets. Although, I decommissioned the AC but the pump is fine. I was wondering if the pump with AC clutch and a pipe bumper as an air tank, if it would make air pressure.

Anyway, I had to replace the front brake line and ended up with a coupling behind and under the radiator running on its support frame. All bled and seemed good, till the brake pedal faded on our long downhill drive. No problem, the rears were there. With my wife on the pedal I found that coupling leaking and failed to tighten my way out of the problem, once again proving I am mightier than tiny brass fittings  ;D.  Need to pick up some more and try again tomorrow. And then I saw water on the fan shroud, the yukon radiator is oozing so I'll need to replace that. The finish is color correct in a tasteful heavy orange peel that looks sweet at about 55. All we lack is finishing. I think I'll be able to take the skidsteer back to work next week.

barbender

I bought a Euro Husqvarna gas/oil can, that I carry on the rare occasion I am actually falling timber. It carries about a gallon of "petrol" and half that of bar oil, and has a place to store a scrench and a spare chain if you are so inclined. It works well.
Too many irons in the fire

Crusarius

wow, my name has shown up in this thread to much recently.

Up next. one drive belt for one of my favorite tools in the shop.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, a bit tricky on a series II, ain't it?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

once I figured out the 2 bolts that needed to be removed it was actually pretty easy. but I will update that when I try to put it back together. something tells me its going to be a challenge.

Somehow, I had the right length and thread metric bolts in stock to compress the drive sheaves. That sure made it a lot easier.

Old Greenhorn

Metric? So that must be a Jet or equivalent? Not a repainted Bridgeport?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

Supermax. Not just Max, but Supermax :)

Made in Tiawan. Been a very good machine for me.

Crusarius

wow, I think that belt has been bad for a long time. After getting the new one in and everything put back together, I started it up, the mill has never been that quiet.

I did find a random jam nut inside when I took the cover off. No idea what it goes to, but I doubt it is the mill. No idea how it got in there.

johndozer

All good when I headed out for the morning dog walk. Heard something come down and got back to this

beenthere

Was that a dead tree?  And the ladder attached after it fell or a rigging to tie it up so you could remove it? 

Bummer to mess up the building that way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

johndozer

Live tree. Limbed and topped it with a pole saw before I got around to taking photos. The thing that looks like a ladder is a couple of cross braced 4x4's ratchet strapped on to the log to support the top while I lowered it down

Walnut Beast

Definitely bet that was a shocker when you seen that! Hope you get things fixed up! 

Resonator

Even though it was a live tree, it may not have been a healthy tree. Check when you cut it where it broke at the stump. In storm damage trees they are often only have solid wood just under the bark (sapwood) and decay/rot in the center (heartwood).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Skeans1

@johndozer 
Time to do a small clear cut around the houses and buildings?

johndozer

Much of the pine around here is prone to some kind of rot as was this one. Look good on the outside but not so much on the inside. Probably didn't help hat there was an assortment of 5 inch spikes and old lag bolt/gate hinges in this one. She who must be obeyed and myself had recently discussed a bit of a logging program in the yard. Pretty much everything in the yard presents multiple hazards and will likely need to be winched or pushed over to avoid some kind of collateral damage

rdobb13

Not much carnage, but certainly a hmmm moment.  

Thank You Sponsors!